Menu

Teaching classics & Windows to World Scheduling Questions

I am planning on using Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World next year with a 7th and 8th grader, who I have for 45 mins twice a week (but flexible)  I would like to focus on introducing analyzing literature and practicing with the shorter stories (not the longer novels). I would also like to focus more on thinking/discussing  and less on the writing. (will do that somewhere else.) So I am taking down a little bit from where it was written to I guess.

I have been reading through them and Jill Pikes syllabus that uses them together. I find it strange that she does one then the other.  Would it make sense to do them simultaneously? I was thinking of using the video from TtC as an introduction to the WttW chapters,That way you hit the topic in both curriculums at the same time instead of in two separate time periods. Things that are repetitive are alittle easier to skip over that way. And you get several more stories to practice on than just doing one of the curriculums. I would follow the WttW sequence  and just match up the chapters in TtC that correlate and looks like just the Setting chapter would be out of order (or something like that)

Is this crazy? anyone done this? what is the benefit of doing it the Jill Pike way?

I think that would be fine. I did the syllabus at co-op this year, and I did end up supplementing with more literature. The kids were pretty tired of some of the short stories in WttW, so consider building in some others (there are suggestions in the TE, I think).

If you were to do it your way, I'd still follow the lesson plans for the weeks, just intersperse the the TTC weeks into the school year. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy- I would have four "parts" open each week (student pages, teacher pages, student book, and TE). Trying coordinate them w/o following something that already exists would be a huge time drain.

• Like 1