Menu

What is a Quality printer for homeschool

With and emphasis on *quality*. The Epson we bough this month last year is shot. I feel like I go through a printer a year, and aside from the fact that it is expensive and annoying, I'm honestly not okay with appliances being so disposable. I would pay more at this point from something that is a) not going to break for many years with heavy use (and/or is repairable), and b) is much more economical in ink usage an Epson WorkForce. It has to do color, double sided, and copying. 

We have the Canon MX922 and I've been really happy with it; have had it for years. It does color, double-sided, scanning, and copying. (For reference, I print literally hundreds and hundreds of pages each year for co-op, as well as lots of digital homeschool curricula, etc. and have never had a problem.) We use this super cheap ink with it, with no problems whatsoever. (Tip: don't ever buy the name-brand ink, it's insane. There is no difference in the quality that I can tell. We print in both black and white and color and it always looks great.) 

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

We have the Canon MX922 and I've been really happy with it; have had it for years. It does color, double-sided, scanning, and copying. (For reference, I print literally hundreds and hundreds of pages each year for co-op, as well as lots of digital homeschool curricula, etc. and have never had a problem.) We use this super cheap ink with it, with no problems whatsoever. (Tip: don't ever buy the name-brand ink, it's insane. There is no difference in the quality that I can tell. We print in both black and white and color and it always looks great.) 

Hope this helps!

Thank you for responding. I saw a post from you about your printer from a while back. I suppose the fact your printer is still working with your heavy print load is a testament to it's value!

• Like 1

I considered a laser printer, but then settled on the HP Officejet Pro 8620. It can print, fax, scan, copy, and connect to the web. It's per page cost is less than that of laser printers available here. 

Another option for you to consider.

I started with a Lexmark Pro inkjet, it was $5 for 500 pgs of blk printing but it kept giving me fits. I upgraded to a Brother Laser printer and can now do color too without it costing an arm and a leg. I've had it a year and a half I think, so far so good. My only problem is that it won't stay connected to the Chromebook. I can cloud print from the laptop, just not the Chromebook.

I considered a laser printer, but then settled on the HP Officejet Pro 8620. It can print, fax, scan, copy, and connect to the web. It's per page cost is less than that of laser printers available here. 

Another option for you to consider.

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620.  I have really liked it (it also does double-sided printing), but I think I'm going to have to replace it.  I have no idea what its issue is, but when I try to print, the computer claims it can't find the printer (we've updated all the drivers).  It will also say that for scanning, but I can still get it to work fine if I turn it off and on again - which I can only do by essentially unplugging it.  The on/off button and the screen both get frozen and won't respond until after it's power cycled.  :confused1:   It will still copy; we don't use the fax..

I've been using a b/w one-sided laser printer dh has to print in the meantime.

My Canon Image Class is a work horse. It only does black and white, not color, but I'm fine with that. I print/copy reams and reams every year and it hasn't failed me yet!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Eta:

I love the double sided default feature!

Edited by Momto5inIN

Hope this helps!

We have this printer and buy this ink and it's been working great! (Knock on wood)

• Like 1

My HP laser printers have lasted years. I am still using my HP laser printer I got about 14 years ago. The only reason why I replaced it last year was because I couldn't use the scanner on it anymore. They weren't updating the drivers anymore. I would retire using the older one because when my dh ordered 2 toner cartridges for it, they shipped us 2 CASES of toner cartridges for it which I am determined to fully use! Each cartridge probably does 2000 pages.

Hope this helps!

That's the printer I have, and I've been very pleased with it as well. Color laser was beyond my price range.

• Like 1

I have an old Brother printer/copier/scanner. It only does black and white, but it is a workhorse. The toner is expensive, but can be found for cheaper online. My last toner cartridge lasted me three years of heavy use before I needed to replace it. I am looking into buying a new color one for next year. 

Edited by kristamaranatha

Hope this helps!

How often do you replace ink cartridges? I might have quite a few things to print next year. Most of it is black and white but it would be nice to have the option of color when I want it. So I am torn between the Brother laser or this Canon model. With the last color inkjet we had, the ink kept drying up, and the printer head became damaged. Maybe I didn't use it enough??

• Like 1

How often do you replace ink cartridges? I might have quite a few things to print next year. Most of it is black and white but it would be nice to have the option of color when I want it. So I am torn between the Brother laser or this Canon model. With the last color inkjet we had, the ink kept drying up, and the printer head became damaged. Maybe I didn't use it enough??

I can't speak to the Brother laser, but I've had such good luck with the Canon! I stock up on ink at the beginning of every school year. (I just include it as a line item in our homeschool budget.) This year, I bought 4 sets of the cheap cartridges, and they have lasted the entire school year. (In fact, I think I'm still only on set #3.) So, I'd estimate I spend about $30.00 on ink every school year. I have never had any problem with any kind of drying out.

I mentioned this someplace else, but for reference, I print hundreds of pages a year (printing booklets for co-op and our WWE pages, etc. I even printed out The Writer's Jungle last summer.) In top of that, my girls also use the photocopier a ton for their own creative projects (for instance, they'll make their own paper dolls by photocopying pages from story books)... So, the printer just gets tons of use--both B&W and color, and I find the ink to last a really long time. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

OK!!!  So I know this is almost a year old, but my stupid Epson Workforce something or other died last week after 11 months.  I had bought the same Epson a year before and that one only lasted a year.  What a piece of poo!!!  Anyway, I had a big HP workhorse of a printer before that and I LOVED that thing.  I had saved this thread in the event I needed to replace that stupid Epson again and here I am.  I did buy the Canon PIXMA MX922.  Got it for $79.99.  I love it so far and went back to get a second one as back-up for the same price.  Now I am looking at inks.

Hope this helps!

EKT, the link to the cheap ink doesn't work anymore.  Can you re-link for me?  I can buy Canon ink and then have them refilled at Costco, but wanted to see what my other options are!

I also have a Canon MX 922 and am very happy with it.

Bonus - I've been able to buy cheap ink and then get credit where I recycle it for the same price I"m paying for ink.

Julie of KY, where do you get your ink and recycle it?

I found this one with great reviews https://www.inkjets.com/npp5-canon-pgi-250xl-cli-251xl-10-pack-ink-combo.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=949468956&utm_term=46512395469&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_949468956_g_46512395469_c_225310652782_k__m__w_aud-398981697740:pla-369388627361_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o5_x_pla_y_105650232_f_online_o_NPPC250XLSM211_z_US_i_en_j_369388627361_s__e__h_9007569_ii__vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMKOk8Pd2QIVh0wNCh1zZwVvEAYYBSABEgLIv_D_BwE , but wanted to check here before I order.

Thanks so much!!!

• 2 years later...