Menu

Product sizes that shrink

Night Elf

I love Dannon Light and Fit yogurt. The containers were 6 oz. which is just a perfect amount. Last night I noticed the front of the package said it was 70 calories. I know for a fact it was higher than that before, so I looked at the oz and it's now 5.3. Same price, less product. Ugh!

• Like 4

I love Dannon Light and Fit yogurt. The containers were 6 oz. which is just a perfect amount. Last night I noticed the front of the package said it was 70 calories. I know for a fact it was higher than that before, so I looked at the oz and it's now 5.3. Same price, less product. Ugh!

I remember when individual yogurts were 8 ounces!

• Like 4

They are just as advanced here in Colombia, about shrinking the contents of packages and maintaining the same price...  The one I run into most frequently, is, fortunately, something that is not perishable, so I try to buy it when it is on sale.  FAB detergent for our washing machine is a wonderful product that we have used for many years. Well, I am sure it was at 3 kilos. Possibly more than 3 kilos but I can't remember that far back.  3 kilos, then 2.7 kilos, then 2.5 kilos, then I think 2.3 kilos, but am not sure, and recently it is 2 kilos.  Same price, but less product...  Thanks Colgate-Palmolive!    Pet peeve...

Downsizing is super annoying. I have always cooked one pound bags of veggies and it's the perfect amount for us. Now my favorite brand of lima beans (and a few others) is sold in 12 ounce bags. That's not enough. 

And toilet paper rolls are labeled as double or triple rolls and yet don't last nearly as long as the old single rolls used to last. 

• Like 4

1.  Stuff getting shrunk bugs me to no end.  And if you are using an older recipe it can really muck up something you are used to cooking.

2.  Shrinking occurs in restaurants, too.  I remember finding an old McDonald's Big Mac box stuck in the back of my grandfather's ranch truck.  It was old.  It was also quite large.  It occurred to me that they must have really shrunk the Big Mac or it would have rattled around in that thing.  I did some research a couple of years ago.  McDonald's claimed there has been no change in 10 years.  Yeah, they are right.  But there HAD been a change and a pretty significant one, in the last 20 years.  (Not that eating a huge Big Mac is a good idea but it did bug me).

3.  We were at a fast food restaurant when I was just starting my new job right out of college.  A college friend was working behind the counter.  She accidentally gave us Medium drinks, not large, and we were thirsty.  She apologized and poured them into the large cups.  Same amount of liquid exactly.  The larger cups weren't larger, just taller.  The base had been narrowed.  She was so embarrassed.  She had had no idea.  We stuck with the cheaper Medium drinks.

• Like 3

I know I am old because the shrinkage has been going on for decades and it just gets worse every year. Only now I have memories of copious amounts of good for a third of the current price. Which is why I make so much form scratch. And when it messes up a recipe that gets me all worked up.

Ice cream used to be a half gallon. Coffee by the pound. 5lb bags of sugar. A can of tuna used to be enough for 4 people now it barely feeds one. Don't even get me started on the party size bag of chips that used to be the regular size. The regular size is now the size of a big grab. Toilet paper shrunk, notebooks are no longer 8.5 x 11. Just ugh.

• Like 5

I also find this annoying, particularly with a recipe.  Or when it is clearly more about cheaping out than anything related to better sizes for purpose.

It's funny though, in some cases in the past it's also gone the other way.  I know someone mentioned a Big Mac upthread, but burgers and such have generally become larger than when they were introduced.  The quarter-pounder used to be considered a very large burger.  We actually have a chicken-burger place here that sells the same things they did when they opened in the 50's.  The burgers look really tiny compared to what we're used to.  (And they are super-tasty!)