Menu

reviews wanted for a Moto 5 plus phone

kfeusse

if you have pros and cons I would love to hear them.

I am considering this one, but don't know about it.  It seems pretty good...

I am just a basic user...check email, facebook, take pictures, have a few apps for weather, E Oils, hangouts, fit bit, google maps, voice recording (kid's concerts mostly), of course phone and texting.  No gaming or video watching.  

any and all thoughts are important to me.

thanks.

also, what are your opinions on buying unlocked phones from places like ebay or amazon.

thanks.

I know I have asked over my allowed phone questions in the last couple days, but please I would really like to hear real people reviews on this phone.

All I have read looks good, expect for the camera in darker places...so that might be a deal for me...but I am not sure.

Please give me your opinions. 

thanks so much.  I am hoping my phone research is coming to an end.

OP did you look at the Review they posted, 5 days ago, on CNET.com ?  I sent you the URL, in a PM.  Watch the video and read every word. If I was in your shoes, I would buy one of those, today, from Motorola USA, on their web site (I gave you the URL).   I would not spend any more time, agonizing about which phone to buy. There are many manufacturers and hundreds or thousands of models. One could go insane, looking at the pros and cons of each model. That is a great phone. Everyone in our house would love to have that phone...

Our neighbor, the Electronic Engineer who has worked for one of the largest cell providers here, for 20 years, is out of town. He wrote this to me, in an email. It is in Spanish, so I will try to summarize in English for you, in case you cannot read Spanish:

"Respecto del smartphone, mi antiguo Galaxy S1  dejó de ser compatible con el SW actual !! lo utilicé más de 6 años !!

Ahora compré un Motorola Z Play, gama media alta. Buen desempeño y donde puedo utilizar las aplicaciones de RF para mi trabajo. Espero dure también muchos años"

About Smartphones: my ancient Galaxy S1 stopped being compatible with the current Software I use, after more than 6 years!
I have just purchased a Motorola Z Play, in the Medium-High price range. Good design and I can use the Apps for RF (Radio Frequency) for my work.  I hope it will also last for many years".

NOTE: If you can buy that phone, Brand New, that was Unlocked and Unbranded, when it left the Motorola factory (like the phones we buy in the Alkosto superstore here in Colombia) and you are positive that it was made for the USA Market, and your are positive it will have a one year warranty from Motorola in the USA, for much less money that you can buy it from Motorola USA on their web site, I would consider doing that. We have purchased many things on eBay and on Amazon, but never cell phones. If there is not a huge price differential, I would not consider buying it on eBay or Amazon for more than one second.

That model is brand new.  
Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

"During the Moto G5 Plus review period, we were conscious that placing the phone on any surface might result in scratches on the camera lens. We would recommend using a case with the Moto G5 Plus."

That is probably an extremely good suggestion, for *any* Smartphone...  The first week of February 2016, after we got home from the Alkosto superstore, with my Motorola phone (2 months later I gave it to DIL, after she destroyed her phone, by dropping it one time too many), in the box I found a Motorola Flip Case for it. That was a pleasant surprise. It is an extra-cost Motorola Accessory.   It had a cover on the back of the phone and to use the phone you need to flip the cover, to get access to the phone.  I saw that on the Motorola USA web site at that time, I think it was approximately USD $30. When we bought the phone, I didn't know that was included in the price, so I was very happy to discover it...  The other 2 Motorola phones and the Lenovo phone did not come with that extra-cost accessory...

I have the Moto g4 and am very happy with it. It works well for me, a basic user. The only thing I wish I would have done is bought the phone with more memory. I purchased from Amazon and have the version with ads. The ads are not a problem and definitely worth saving $50.

My dh and ds have the LG G5, but the Moto G5plus was the other choice.  The only reason they got the LG was because our provider had a promo special on it and the phones were free when we renewed our plans.  The Moto G5 wasn't one of the promo phones or they probably would have got it.

For what you need, it would be a very good phone for you. 

I have the Moto g4 and am very happy with it. It works well for me, a basic user. The only thing I wish I would have done is bought the phone with more memory. I purchased from Amazon and have the version with ads. The ads are not a problem and definitely worth saving $50.

Root that puppy and you can get rid of the ads.

I was looking at a comparison chart...comparing the G5 plus, the 4 plus and the 4.

a couple things stood out...

1) the g5 has a 12 MP camera, where as the 4 plus has a 16 MP (does that matter?)

2) the G5 has 2,3, or 4 RAM where as the 4 plus has 4 RAM (so I am assuming the more expensive G5 will have the same RAM as the G4 which I would guess is cheaper?)

just trying to figure this out...thanks for all of the help!!!

just trying to learn here...what does this mean...and how is that done?

Android is based on Linux which allows for full customization through super-user access.  Companies will lock phones to house certain apps, ads, etc.  Rooting the phone gives you super-user access and you can then add, delete or modify anything you want on the phone. 

Caveat: rooting a phone isn't necessarily difficult, but it's not exactly a beginner-friendly process either. 

ETA: Here is a link to how to root an Android phone. http://www.androidcentral.com/root

Android Central is a great place to find info on Android phones of all kinds and any issues you might encounter.  The forums are a gold mine of help.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 1

Android is based on Linux which allows for full customization through super-user access.  Companies will lock phones to house certain apps, ads, etc.  Rooting the phone gives you super-user access and you can then add, delete or modify anything you want on the phone. 

Caveat: rooting a phone isn't necessarily difficult, but it's not exactly a beginner-friendly process either. 

ETA: Here is a link to how to root an Android phone. http://www.androidcentral.com/root

Android Central is a great place to find info on Android phones of all kinds and any issues you might encounter.  The forums are a gold mine of help.

I used the Free APK from Kingo Root (not King Root) to root my old (2014) Samsung Galaxy, a couple of weeks ago. That worked. Kingo suggests using the App (download from their web site) on the phone first and if it cannot root your phone, then download their app to your PC and try to root it from your PC.

https://www.kingoapp.com/

CAVEAT:  Rooting a phone will void the warranty. Unless there is something you cannot do with an unrooted phone, that you need to do, I would probably wait until the warranty is up, before rooting a phone.  

An outstanding source of technical information about Android phones (and possibly Tablets too?) is https://www.xda-developers.com/