Menu

Opera for a 9-year-old

Rasa

I am looking for recommendations of classical operas that a musically-minded 9-year-old would enjoy. (We saw Mozart's "The Magic Flute" live recently, and my daughter loved it.)  Ideally, we would like to read a story of an opera in an illustrated children's book and then watch a production on DVD.  Our public library has readily available resources for Verdi's Aida, so we are planning to start with that.  Perhaps the wise WTM minds have more suggestions?  Many thanks in advance.

We are studying Mozart's Magic Flute, too! I found this book at the library. Perhaps it would be helpful in picking out an opera. There is a section in the back that describes the plots of a bunch of operas. I haven't listened to it, but Pavarotti has an opera CD for kids that may also be helpful in giving you some direction.

• Like 2

I grew up listening to Amahl and the Night Visitors every Christmas.  Its first performance was in 1951.  It is in English and was made for TV.  I don't know of any book, but because it is in English it isn't hard to follow along.  My sister and I used to split the parts up and sing the whole thing.  Such a fun story!

• Like 2

Hansel and Gretel, L'elisir d'amore, Don Pasquale, barber of seville are all faves. My daughter loves opera too. She named the collie Nemorino and has a picture of Anna Netrebko on her wall. The MET Opera has a learning program which they shared with us. It is really good. A lot of local operas are doing anything they can to get children involved. We live in the middle of nowhere so we can't take advantage but local operas usually want children to at least visit.

• Like 1

We were advised (by an opera singer) to take our family to Rigoletto as a first opera.  I think our youngest was 10 at the time.  It was probably not a storyline that she could completely follow, but it was lively and the music was fun.  It looks like there are some children's books on it too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a little bit old for her, but maybe not. I think my dd was more like 6th or 7th when we used it, I forget. LOVED it. There's a cheap copy on amazon, so you want it. :D

At the Opera: Ann Fiery, Peter Malone: 9780811827744: Amazon.com: Books

Stories of Gilbert and Sullivan Operas And don't forget lite opera! Clyde Bulla has a couple books.

• Like 1