Menu

Anyone want to join me in a freezer challenge this week?

Amira

We went out to eat last night so the only thing that came out of the freezer on Thursday were a couple thin mint cookies from a tube that surfaced. Today I am more focused on the fresh veg that should be consumed.

It is a good challenge though even if I am not quite succeeding. Pantry and freezer scrutiny are good things.

• Like 1

I made burrito bowls with pulled pork from the freezer last night.  I think I have to stop cooking and eat leftovers for a few days.  My fridge us full of burrito leftovers (why must this involve 10 containers?), leftover indian food, and leftovers from a pork tenderloin meal.

• Like 2

I didn't make it to the store to get empanadas wrappers until today so the beef became taco meat (US style) for nachos.

I made a huge batch of BBQ chicken with the last of a bag of chicken. I have most of my food prepped for this weekend! 😀

We are back to 100F weather so I am using up the last of my oven freezer meals and I am switching over to Instant Pot ones.

• Like 3

I didn't make it to the store to get empanadas wrappers until today so the beef became taco meat (US style) for nachos.

I made a huge batch of BBQ chicken with the last of a bag of chicken. I have most of my food prepped for this weekend! 😀

We are back to 100F weather so I am using up the last of my oven freezer meals and I am switching over to Instant Pot ones.

I wanted to commiserate with you on temperature.  In our case, it is not as bad--a mere 80 degrees.  But the humidity is wretched! Ugh! I plan to do some baking on Sunday while my husband brews beer.  My kitchen focus is definitely changing though to salads and grilled items.

• Like 3

Forgot to post last night. I found a bit of two different kinds of chicken that were good for banh mi. Ds cooked some tofu and another ds cook some eggs and I pickled some carrots for a delicious dinner. The bread for the banh mi came from the freezer too.

I'm getting close to achieving my freezer goal. I still have tomatoes to use for a Bhutanese cheese curry, carnitas and sauce for tortas ahogadas, green beans to eat with rice and tofu, and hot dogs for one last fire on Sunday night before it's even hotter here.

• Like 3

I've got four premade freezer meals from a group swap I did a few months ago BUT I also have company and most of those meals haven't been very good. Tomorrow I'm going to grab some chicken breasts out and use them to make a parmesan chicken cutlet and then make some creamed peas to go with them.

Next week I'm using the four freezer meals in there. :) I still have a ways to go to get everything cleaned out.  

• Like 1

I started last week. I made spaghetti with eggplant meatless balls, eggplant barbeque cheeseburgers, sausage and sweet potato curry, something else with sausage that I don't remember,freezer padthai with frozen stir fry veg, soup with frozen mixed veg, and my husband was delighted to find multiple batches of stuffed jalapenos that I made for him months ago.

I'm out of town for the weekend, but I will pick up again when I get back.

Edit: I made peach pancakes from frozen peaches and finished off the last frozen strawberries in a kefir protein smoothie.

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 3

Well, yesterday I didn't use anything from the freezer. If I can think of something to use today, I will. Tomorrow, we'll be using the breakfast burritos I prepped ahead of time and planned to use and the Red Baron pizza I bought on sale two weeks ago. Also already planned into the menu.

• Like 1

I'm still dealing with a backlog of frozen veggies.  We are finishing off the last of the bbq chicken and some fresh fruit (pineapple, blackberries) I cut up this weekend, and I'm going to pair that with frozen corn, I think.

There is a canned food drive going on, so I'm cleaning out my pantry as well. I live in an area with a lot of resettled refugees, so beans/rice are always in demand--I think I'm going to include some things that pair well with that--tahini, roasted red peppers, chiles, jarred mole sauce, etc.--things that I bought over the last couple of months but I haven't gotten around to using. 

One of the realizations I've had this week is that I just need to make a menu and stick to it.  I am buying a lot of ingredients for things I crave but that I never get around to making because they take time--and that's the commodity I'm really short on right now.  Having a menu will also let me easily/consistently track carbs...we're moving towards a more low-carb non-starch veggie diet.

• Like 1

I'm still dealing with a surprising amount of berries that I froze last year. And I swear that the sweet potatoes in the garage from the bushel purchased in the fall from a local farmer are reproducing!

I may switch focus from freezer to pantry.  I have some strange things within (pumpkin barbecue sauce??) that need to be used or removed.

This thread started as a one week challenge, but I'm in for a longer commitment if anyone else is interested. That is, if we can include the far reaches of the pantry and the miraculous reproducing sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

I too have a bunch of weird stuff in my pantry that needs to be used up. I don't even know where I got some of the stuff.

We had company all weekend so I was exhausted today and we just ate leftovers. Tomorrow I'm pulling ground beef out of the freezer.

• Like 1