Menu

If your child did WTMA AOPS Prealgebra...

SJ.

If your child has taken WTMA AOPS Prealgebra how did it go? Was the class time engaging? How much time was spent on homework? Before taking the class how would you rate your child's math ability - naturally talented, or not?

Edited by SJ.

My dd is taking it this year. I did not sit in on any classes, however, we were happy enough to sign her up for AOPS Algebra I next fall. She probably spends 60 to 90 minutes per day on math (including class time) and another two hours per week on Alcumus. She is a solid math student, though her interest in math is primarily as it relates to her science classes.

My dd is taking it this year. I did not sit in on any classes, however, we were happy enough to sign her up for AOPS Algebra I next fall. She probably spends 60 to 90 minutes per day on math (including class time) and another two hours per week on Alcumus. She is a solid math student, though her interest in math is primarily as it relates to her science classes.

7+ hrs a week on math not including class time seems like a lot. I am not sure my child will be willing to put in more than an hour a day on homework.

Do you consider your dd gifted at math? Or highly motivated?

Did she like the teacher and did she feel the class was engaging? Was there a lot of extraneous and distracting chat in the chat box?

Edited by SJ.
  • Like 1

7+ hrs a week on math not including class time seems like a lot. I am not sure my child will be willing to put in more than an hour a day on homework.

Do you consider your dd gifted at math? Or highly motivated?

Did she like the teacher and did she feel the class was engaging? Was there a lot of extraneous and distracting chat in the chat box?

The Alcumus is optional/extra credit. She spends four or five hours a week on homework. She does like the teacher. She says the class is OK, more informative than engaging (for her.) If there is too much chat the teacher will shut down the chat box completely. My dd is not gifted nor does she love math, but she does like science and the math is necessary. She is a very solid student and is looking at engineering in college.

• Like 1