Menu

So silly (sentimental about stuff)

snickerplum

We got a new couch. I really like it, we needed it and it will fit our family much better. So I hate to be a whiner....

The old couch is sitting at the curb waiting for the garbage truck tomorrow. We had it 12 years. I have so many good memories with it. We bought it just after we got married. It's been through 4 babies, three puppies and 4 moves. It looks sad, so it's not like I want to keep it, I guess I started thinking about where we'll be in life by the time this one will need replacing (if we keep it as long- it should have been replaced a few years ago). We could potentially have all three girls in college and our son would be in his senior year!

Sigh. So I know it's stupid (especially since I picked out/like the new one!!) but that's where I am.

I can't be the only one to get sentimental about stuff like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Totally get it.  Just last night I was mourning AGAIN the loss of our sectional that was the backdrop of my son's growing up.  We had no room for it in the new house.  It was the ONLY thing I *sold* as I had to get some recognition of its value, and I gave away two complete housefuls of furniture.  So yeah, I get it.

OK, now I am crying again.  

It was really hard to get rid of the mini-van that the kids and I spent so many hours in--so many "car picnics" and adventures! 

It's a good thing the car the kids learned to drive in died and went directly to the junk yard without ever coming home, so I didn't have to say good-bye to it.  Man, that car had a lot of great firsts!

I passed our old couches onto a new family via Craigslist for free. It ended up being so sweet because they were another big family and said they were the nicest couches they'd ever had, didn't smell of smoke or have a gazillion stains. We outgrew them and couldn't fit another seating arrangement so I had to purchase a new one that for the space better with very specific measurements, but passing those on and blessing another family made it a little less bittersweet.

Oh, I understand.

I get attached to inanimate objects very easily, and not just ones with clear sentimental value and memories attached.

I've got an exercise bike that needs replacing. I'll feel disloyal to it when we get around to tossing it out and I'll genuinely feel sad about it.  I'm attached to an exercise bike and all it has attached to it is memories of sweat and effort  :o

• Like 1

My DH is like this (and it kinda drives me crazy although it's kinda sweet).  We've had this loveseat for over 20 years.  It is so outdated, ugly and you just fall into it because there is no support in the cushions.  When I've talked about getting rid of it he would get a little sad and say, "But it was our first loveseat."