Menu

If I want to use MCT Language Arts next year, but DS has not done this before

...what should I do? He is a rising 7th grader. But the Magic Lens materials - though I would love for him to get to that point - seem way over his head right now. I look at the Island series and, though it does look jeuvenille, it also seems to make clear work of explaining the foundation of understanding language. Should I begin with the Island series (for 8, 9, 10 yos) and just expect to move quickly through it and not dwell on the lessons (unless he doesn't understand). I have done work with DS12 in language arts, but it has been piecemeal, as I never seem to love any complete curriculum.

PS. I am not opposed to working in a light way throughout the summer.

WWYD?

I might start in voyage level... it's hard to say because island and town are beautiful and the sentence/paragraph books are a lovely story.

But grammar voyage does review the material. The FAQ supports the idea of starting with voyage - "children in sixth grade begin most readily with the Voyage level. "

https://www.rfwp.com/pages/michael-clay-thompson/faqs/

• Like 1

I'd say Town, maybe Voyage. Island is a really gentle intro to MCT and a great entry point for elementary. Town is as well laid out as Island, if not better, IMO. The jump between Island and Town is a big one, and I think Town is a better entry point for older kids.

• Like 2

I'd say Town, maybe Voyage. Island is a really gentle intro to MCT and a great entry point for elementary. Town is as well laid out as Island, if not better, IMO. The jump between Island and Town is a big one, and I think Town is a better entry point for older kids.

Yeah, Voyage level looks good for him. I see it still explains the parts of speech in case one hasn't heard them before (though DS has).

We will be using MCT materials for the first time next year.  We are going with Voyage level for my upcoming 7th grader and Town level for my upcoming 4th grader.  I also purchased a used copy of Sentence Island for super cheap on Amazon to go through this spring/summer during morning time/read aloud for everyone, just as a gentle introduction.