Menu

Are there states that have free (or very low-cost) DE for homeschoolers starting in 9th grade?

GCC in NY has courses for $50 a credit including on-line. 

$55, apparently, but anyway, cool. If we don't end up moving, then Genesee could work not just online - it's only about a 45 min drive (I know, because I was considering taking multi calc there this fall - but at a lot more per credit). They do mention some of their homeschooled DE students are just 16 years old, so I'm not sure if 9th graders would be able to... but anyway, this would be something to look into if we don't move. My question was mainly in case we do move, to see what states might get some bonus points in the pros column.

It varies by college in FL.   Many don't allow DE until 16 years old, but other schools have no age requirement.   The college where DS will likely start DE classes a year from now has no firm age requirement but does have a limit of 9 semesters from the time he takes the 1st DE class (regardless of whether he takes classes each semester).    So if a student begans DE classes in 9th, he would be counted as a DE student through the summer between 11th & 12th grades.   Homeschooled students in FL pay for books for DE classes, but tuition is free.   Students must have qualifying scores on SAT, ACT, or PERT to enroll as a DE student.

• Like 1

Ohio has some funding for homeschoolers.  Last year my dd received 12 credits as a freshman.  We'll find out next month how much she'll be approved for in the next school year.  That doesn't include books.  Public school students get 100% free from grades 7-12 including textbooks.  

• Like 1

$55, apparently, but anyway, cool. If we don't end up moving, then Genesee could work not just online - it's only about a 45 min drive (I know, because I was considering taking multi calc there this fall - but at a lot more per credit). They do mention some of their homeschooled DE students are just 16 years old, so I'm not sure if 9th graders would be able to... but anyway, this would be something to look into if we don't move. My question was mainly in case we do move, to see what states might get some bonus points in the pros column.

My son got in as a 9th grader.  He enrolled in a class, but they had falsely advertised it as on-line so he ended up having to drop it.  That place is about 4 hours away for us. But otherwise, yeah it would have worked out fine.  There was nothing special about the approval process getting him in that soon. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

My son got in as a 9th grader.  He enrolled in a class, but they had falsely advertised it as on-line so he ended up having to drop it.  That place is about 4 hours away for us. But otherwise, yeah it would have worked out fine.  There was nothing special about the approval process getting him in that soon. 

What, you didn't want to drive him 4 hours there, wait while he's in class, and then drive 4 hours back? You're such a slacker!  :lol:

• Like 1

TN you have to be a Jr. but there is no age requirement. You get 2-3 classes for free per year.  Community College (full time only?) is free once you graduate and the Hope Scholarship is $4500 per year for all (jr/Sr) students including transfers. Tuition at MTSU is $8800/yr. (also MTSU has started a little satellite type school aimed at HSer's taking college courses, they are only offering 2-3 course per semester right now but I think they have plans to do more in the future). 

So, if my DS goes to the local CC (about 20 minute drive) for freshman and sophomore years then transfers to MTSU (about 5 minutes away) he will cost us about $8600 in tuition for a 4 year degree (probably Environmental Sustainability).  DD wants to go straight to MTSU :glare: . Students with the Hope scholarship get $3500 off tuition for Freshman/Sophomore years and then the $4500 for Jr/Sr years.  We'll be looking at spending.... $19,200 for the degree (in theater and/or Global studies :huh: ).

These are not income restricted and only require a minimum ACT score of 21-22 from HSer's.  TN is a relatively easy to Homeschool state, all of this is the #1 reason we decided to move here.  The particular area we're in is booming with jobs and our new town is growing at a 75.8% rate.... so there are some issues (traffic and housing costs) but overall we really like it.

• Like 3

What, you didn't want to drive him 4 hours there, wait while he's in class, and then drive 4 hours back? You're such a slacker!  :lol:

LOL..no

Well, actually it was some kind of weird hybrid class where they could do part of it on-line.  They had to drop assignments off and take exams there.  If it was one final exam or something like that I could have worked that out, but uh no I'm not driving there that many times for that! 

Too bad though because it was so affordable.  He takes courses at a place down the street, but we have to pay full price. 

• Like 1

Our community college here in NY has very inexpensive

per credit classes, specifically targeting "early college".

The four year SUNY does not.

There's also a private college that lets juniors and seniors take 200 level and below classes at around $200/class (not credit) with certain restrictions.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

California

Yep, its been free for us minus basic enrollment fees and books of course. We started in 9th grade in Monterey County. The start age does vary by county. We're close enough that our son can ride his bike. So its a very compelling option.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

Even as a regular, non-high school DE student, CA's CC fees are $46 per unit.

ETA: for students who are younger than 10th, ask for their special enrollment practices. Some CA CCs allow middle schoolers to take classes with principal's permission. If you file a PSA, you should be able to sign off as the principal. If you use a homeschool charter, they will usually have someone at the charter who does the signing.

Edited by quark
  • Like 3

Arkansas is $125/class almost anywhere (most private colleges are included, as well as both state Us and community colleges), and can start whenever the child has the necessary test scores and their home school's approval (DD has a friend who started in 7th grade). Some colleges/U's have age/grade limits, though.

• Like 1

It varies by college in FL.   Many don't allow DE until 16 years old, but other schools have no age requirement.   The college where DS will likely start DE classes a year from now has no firm age requirement but does have a limit of 9 semesters from the time he takes the 1st DE class (regardless of whether he takes classes each semester).    So if a student begans DE classes in 9th, he would be counted as a DE student through the summer between 11th & 12th grades.   Homeschooled students in FL pay for books for DE classes, but tuition is free.   Students must have qualifying scores on SAT, ACT, or PERT to enroll as a DE student.

There's a possibility that DH might get a job in FL. I wonder when they would "start the clock" for a student who has DE credits from a different state? Would they count the semesters she did DE out here in CA against the limit of 9, or would it be 9 semesters from when she would start taking DE at the particular college?

Varies by county and sometimes within each county here in TX. Our previous location dual credit was free (except fees and books). Our current county has half-price dual credit classes at a community college and 4-year university (so $220/3 credit class). Community College requires you to take an entrance test to see where you place. If you are in 9th grade, usually they make you have an interview with some official to make sure you are 'mature' enough. There is some hassle getting signed up as the current dual credit person is more difficult than the last one. 

LeTourneau (4 year private university) requires no test results and you can easily start in 9th grade. If the class isn't a typical dual credit class, you need dean approval to be able to take it. All the staff have been super easy to work with and get everything working your way. Interesting tidbit - they don't make sure that dual credit students have completed pre-requisites before allowing them to enroll in classes. So if you just want to sign up for Calc I, you can. 

• Like 1

There's a possibility that DH might get a job in FL. I wonder when they would "start the clock" for a student who has DE credits from a different state? Would they count the semesters she did DE out here in CA against the limit of 9, or would it be 9 semesters from when she would start taking DE at the particular college?

That won't be true for every college in FL. Neither of the colleges in our county have the nine semester rule, though they do have their own rules.

• Like 1

St. Petersburg College is the college that my DS will likely do DE through, and they are the ones with the 9-semester rule.   Since every local college in FL can establish their own rules for DE ages, credits, and length of eligibility, I think you'd need to contact the specific college in the county you move to.

• Like 1

Washington and Hawaii have the Running Start program. Ohio has College Credit Plus. Oklahoma has concurrent enrollment tuition waivers.

In Hawaii Running Start is the public school program. Private and homeschool students do Early Admission. You pay for tuition, fees and books. In state tuition is around $130 per credit.

Some campuses limit by age or number of courses.

• Like 1