Menu

iphone vs android....why is one better than the other?

kfeusse

To be honest, if you use your phone for the things most people use them for- texting, browsing the internet, looking on FB, taking pictures- there probably isn't much of a difference. I prefer Android because Apple makes it much more difficult than necessary to use files and programs outside of their proprietary stuff, but for most people that isn't an issue. Your best bet is probably to look at both Apple and Google's app stores, decide which one has more apps that you like, and go with that.

Also, the iphones I've used don't have a back button on the phone itself, only the screen, and that drives me crazy. But maybe they've changed that in the most recent generation. Whenever I have to help my mom with her iphone though it makes me want to throw the thing out a window.

• Like 5

I don't think either is better as far as quality and features. It's really a preference. I had an iPhone but my last one was an iPhone 4 so I don't know about recent models. I have an android now and like it better - because of my preferences not because it's better.

I like that I can use different launchers, keyboards, and other apps as my default an not just what the manufacturer tells me I can use. I don't like how Apple runs the iTunes store and the App store. I feel like an android based phone gives me more freedom to personalize. 

• Like 1

I like my iPhone because I know how to use it.  I got the first one out 2 weeks after it shipped, and have had 4 since.  I even switched from he PC to the Apple platform based on the fact that I am never leaving my iPhone.  

My dh and my son made fun of me because it is such a "closed" platform and you are so locked in.  I listened to their rantings and then I pointed out to them that I am the only person in the house who doesn't complain about my phone.  DS now has an iPhone after 3 years of a very nice Android; he's not devoted like I am--he just did the research and found that it did what he wants to do the best of any phone.  

Vertical integration among the platforms is getting easier, so they say, so my issue might have gone away, had not Apple been the better product for the kind of things I do with photography and music.  I'm super happy with my setup now.  iPhone and iMac.  

I told my son's mentor, an incredibly intelligent programmer/architect,  that I was going to the Apple platform and he gave me caution:  "Most of the people I meet who are on the Apple platform are not very good programmers."  I said, "BINGO."  Then he got it.  :0)

The Apple Store pretty carefully vets the apps they sell, which means that they generally WORK and that there is a very good option for anything you want to do.  

We have had Windows, Android and Apple phones.  In the end, it depends on what you want to do and how much you like fussing around with the gadget as a gadget and how much you like what you can do with it.  I admit to being an early adopter of gadgetry, but I am definitely in the second category--I don't want to mess with the gadget for its own sake.  I want it to do stuff for me.  

I've never used an Android. I bought an iPhone for my first smart phone and haven't seen any reason to go to anything else. I don't want to tinker with it, I just want it to work. And my iPhones have always done that excellently. But I doubt that this is a case of one being better than the other. It's just personal preference.

• Like 1

I love Android and don't ever see myself switching to Iphones and no one in the house wants one -- except for my eldest dd. If she wants one after she gets a job she's welcome to it but I'm not buying her one.

I really don't like how Itunes works mostly their phones are more expensive. I love my phone and my camera is better than most -- including the Iphone. 

I tend to be a bit of a contrarian and since apple is so popular I don't want anything to do with it. :)

• Like 2

I am on a "needing a new cell phone" kick...and so I am researching iphones vs android.  Currently I own an android.  I have never owned ab iphone...

so I need the pros and cons of both.

thanks.

We don't have Mac anything in our house, so there's that. :-)

Mr. Ellie and I both have Androids and see no reason to change to anything else.

Mr. Ellie has an IPhone for work and is not impressed.

• Like 1

In the Superstore in Cali, Colombia where we've purchased 4 phones that left the factory Unlocked and Unbranded, and that have a one year manufacturers warranty, during the past 15 months,  one can, today, go in and buy a basic Android phone starting at USD $52.25, which includes the VAT Tax.  One could, in the same store, today, buy Android phones that cost up to approximately USD$1100 at today's Exchange rate.   I doubt that you can go into any reputable store and purchase an iPhone for anything close to $52.25 including tax. So, one can get into Android, or replace an Android, for *far* less $ than an iPhone.   If my 2014 Samsung were to die, I would go in there and pay about USD $72, for a very low end Leonovo phone, because that will do what I need to do and because I do not use the camera.  We have 3 Motorola phones and 1 Lenovo phone in the house (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility) that cost a lot more than USD$72, that I would consider to be "mid-range" phones.      If you have been using a Samsung Android phone, and I know that you have a model made a month or two after mine, you are more than capable of using any Android phone.    Motorola phones have a rather pure version of Android, so they are much easier to use than Samsung phones, but after using this Samsung Galaxy for almost one year, the way Samsung Menus work seems "normal" to me.  I hope that you will be happy with whatever you end up purchasing!

• Like 1

I currently have a Moto Z play android phone. Camera = great! I don't have any of the modular accessories, but I like the fact that option is there. 

I've had Apple devices in the past. Love their selection of good apps. Hate the problems of having to go through ITunes to get music or anything on my phone. Hate iTunes with a passion. Hate the fact if you get a new computer, you have to install iTunes again, etc. Maybe that has all changed, but seriously. 

As for basic features, the only difference I saw was that with Apple, if I said I was going to an event on FB, it was automatically added to my calendar. With Android, I haven't figured out how to get it to automatically add to my Google calendar, so I have to do it manually. I'm okay with that extra step, but I wish I didn't have to take it.

• Like 1

I have had an L3 G3 for the last few years, which I like better than my previous 4S because it has more memory.I ran out of memory when the system kept updating and couldn't add any memory. I chose this phone because it has a fairly good camera and I could add additional storage.

Dh has an Android and I hate it. imessage doesn't work, so he's always complaining that he can't get stuff from the kids. And the camera is terrible. I refuse to listen to him whine about it any more, but I hate when he says, "Oh, I took photos of the Scouts!" Don't bother--they're horrible--all blurry. 

We just use skype across all our devices and it works great on laptops and desktops too.  Apple has no interest in making their products super compatible.  We have apple products and androids.  Android camera quality varies widely depending on what you get. 

I have an android phone and an apple iPad.  My iPad does not take better photos than my phone.  I don't think one is better than the other necessarily.  Just depends which format you like better and which models you have.  I'm a Windows person so I'm very comfortable in android land.  I was a software engineer in a past life and there are things that irritate me about the apple OS.  I feel like it thinks I'm an idiot.  :lol:

I prefer android massively. I've got an LG G4, great phone with a very good camera but I think there are at least 2 models since. I like that with Android you have such a range of options. The phones all vary so much so you can chose a basic one or a fancier one or something in between, you're not tied to the premium end. Also iPhones here are all tied to very expensive tariffs making owning them an expensive choice that doesn't gain you anything extra really.

• Like 2

That one is expensive....isnt' it.?

I believe about $100 less than a Samsung S7 or a new iPhone. It's certainly pricier than some others but my rec was based on what's the best phone and OS out there. A lot of folks like Apple because its software and hardware are designed by the same company, so its a seamless fit. They also like the functionality of Siri.

The Google Pixel is Google's answer to that - Android being Google's own OS, and the phone, itself, designed specifically by Google. And Google Assist on the Pixel is beyond incredible. Its far more sophisticated than Siri in that it's actually like a form of AI - it "learns" and adjusts as it goes.

Edited by Aelwydd
  • Like 1

Almost my entire circle of friends have iPhones.  So we iMessage all the time.  I can iMessage from my phone or my Apple computer, etc....I love it.

At this point, I don't think I could switch.  I have no desire to either.

• Like 1

The main thing that I love about my Android phone is its home screen. I can set up widgets so when my phone turns on, right there on the "desktop" are my to-do list, my next calendar event, my email, my texting app, my Audible bar (I listen to audiobooks every day on my phone), and a folder of my most-used apps. I need that immediate information, and as far as I can see, Apple doesn't have that. I know you can swipe to something similar, but the way the Android home screen works is just right for the way my brain works! 

I'm a Mac devotee. I love my Macbook Pro, and I'll never have anything but a Mac as my primary computer again, but I have no real use for my iPad, and I'm very satisfied with my Android phone. I use what works for my purposes, regardless of the brand. 

I have a 3.5-year-old HTC One M8, and it's still plugging along pretty well. The battery is slowing down now, but I can baby for a pretty long time. Other than that, it still works fine in every way. My phone before this one was an HTC Desire, and I used that for three years and then DD used it for another year or so, which I think is a good long time for these phones. I'm pleased enough with their performance that I'd happily buy another HTC when the time comes. This one was pricy though--I didn't realize just how expensive it was because they roll everything together and just give you a monthly price. I almost had a stroke when I was looking carefully at a bill a few months later and figured out just how much the thing cost! But I think it's a "you get what you pay for" thing. The camera is fantastic, and IMO it's living a pretty long life (as phones go). 

Good luck with your decision! There are so many options, it can be overwhelming. 

ETA: I do wish I had more options for pretty/fancy covers, but it's a small sacrifice, IMO :D I've had Speck Candy Shell covers on my phones for the last 6 years, and the protection they offer can't be beat. I drop my phone constantly, from fair heights, in bad places (like our garage), and I've seen it land on a corner, take a bounce, and then skitter away, and it comes away with barely a scratch on the cover, let alone on the phone. The Speck covers are SO worth the money, whatever phone you choose. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

I think you can't go wrong with either.  I started with an Android because it was quite a bit cheaper, and it was great!  At some point I switched to an iPhone, and I really like that a lot too.  I have an iMac computer, and I like how the iPhone and iMac sync together.  Also, I think Apple has great customer service.

Almost my entire circle of friends have iPhones.  So we iMessage all the time.  I can iMessage from my phone or my Apple computer, etc....I love it.

Curious about this.  My husband and daughter have iphones; my son and I have androids.  My daughter uses imessage with her dad and friends who also have iphones; she texts my son and me via the regular texting app.  She says there's no difference really.   She can send photos, links, anything to us that she can send via imessage.  

My husband and I text but also sometimes google messaging (on the desktop it's gmail chat but I don't remember what the app on the phone is called).  They all work fine going to and from android/iphone.  ETA:  Google Hangouts.  It works on desktop, laptop, and both my android and my husband's iphone. 

I am very happy with my android phone.  I don't like Apple in general because of the proprietary nature of their products.   

Edited by marbel

Curious about this.  My husband and daughter have iphones; my son and I have androids.  My daughter uses imessage with her dad and friends who also have iphones; she texts my son and me via the regular texting app.  She says there's no difference really.   She can send photos, links, anything to us that she can send via imessage.  

My husband and I text but also sometimes google messaging (on the desktop it's gmail chat but I don't remember what the app on the phone is called).  They all work fine going to and from android/iphone.  ETA:  Google Hangouts.  It works on desktop, laptop, and both my android and my husband's iphone. 

I am very happy with my android phone.  I don't like Apple in general because of the proprietary nature of their products.   

Many of my friends who do ind texting or group texting do what I do, use their computer or iPad to text.  It isn't just the phone.

So, for example, I have about 3 different "groups" who text amongst ourselves.  They would not be able to text on their computers or iPads if one of us got an Adroid and we had to use phone numbers only.

It is a whole "ecosystem" so to speak.

If the only texting you do is through your phone, and it is mostly one on one, and you don't have any need to text through your other devices, you are fine.  I am just heavily dependent on iMessage.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I like my iPhone because I know how to use it.  I got the first one out 2 weeks after it shipped, and have had 4 since.  I even switched from he PC to the Apple platform based on the fact that I am never leaving my iPhone.  

My dh and my son made fun of me because it is such a "closed" platform and you are so locked in.  I listened to their rantings and then I pointed out to them that I am the only person in the house who doesn't complain about my phone.  DS now has an iPhone after 3 years of a very nice Android; he's not devoted like I am--he just did the research and found that it did what he wants to do the best of any phone.  

Vertical integration among the platforms is getting easier, so they say, so my issue might have gone away, had not Apple been the better product for the kind of things I do with photography and music.  I'm super happy with my setup now.  iPhone and iMac.  

I told my son's mentor, an incredibly intelligent programmer/architect,  that I was going to the Apple platform and he gave me caution:  "Most of the people I meet who are on the Apple platform are not very good programmers."  I said, "BINGO."  Then he got it.  :0)

The Apple Store pretty carefully vets the apps they sell, which means that they generally WORK and that there is a very good option for anything you want to do.  

We have had Windows, Android and Apple phones.  In the end, it depends on what you want to do and how much you like fussing around with the gadget as a gadget and how much you like what you can do with it.  I admit to being an early adopter of gadgetry, but I am definitely in the second category--I don't want to mess with the gadget for its own sake.  I want it to do stuff for me.  

We just use skype across all our devices and it works great on laptops and desktops too.  Apple has no interest in making their products super compatible.  We have apple products and androids.  Android camera quality varies widely depending on what you get. 

I have an android phone and an apple iPad.  My iPad does not take better photos than my phone.  I don't think one is better than the other necessarily.  Just depends which format you like better and which models you have.  I'm a Windows person so I'm very comfortable in android land.  I was a software engineer in a past life and there are things that irritate me about the apple OS.  I feel like it thinks I'm an idiot.  :lol:

This. I like that my phone thinks I'm an idiot. I am pretty much a tech idiot and I'm ok with that. I have to know a lot of other stuff and I'm happy not to master computers. I use the phone as a tool and love it but I'm a fairly light user. I don't really use it for music that much, I don't have a lot of apps, etc. 

I have an iMac and iPhone. I like that it all syncs. I love that it syncs seemlessly with dh's iPhone and the iPad so that when one of us adds something to the calendar we all have it on our calendars. I like iMessage. I like that it's all easy to use. 

I get my phone from work though so I don't pay for it and I can upgrade every two years. If I had to buy my own, I might have initially gone with something cheaper. I don't know if that would have been Android but it would have been more of an issue. Dh uses an old iPhone and tracfone as the service provider. We have an even older iPhone for the kids to use that also uses tracfone. 

• Like 1

so for those who have and love androids...which phone specifically do you have? (especially Mandamom because you said your camera is really good).

I love my Galaxy S7. It's my second Samsung and when I got it I first considered a different brand. I was happy with Samsung though and couldn't really find any reason to switch. Dss has had both LG and HTC and liked them both. One had a better camera but I can't remember which one. His sil (ddil's sister) has a Google phone and loves it, but she's as tied to the Google ecosystem as some people are to Apple. It's perfect for her.

CNET is a good place to find reviews on various brands and models. 

• Like 1

I've almost always been an apple person - we got our first computer when I was maybe 6 and it was an Apple II +. 

I love that I can imessage from my computer. That's probably the biggest reason I stick with an iphone. 

The main thing that I love about my Android phone is its home screen. I can set up widgets so when my phone turns on, right there on the "desktop" are my to-do list, my next calendar event, my email, my texting app, my Audible bar (I listen to audiobooks every day on my phone), and a folder of my most-used apps. I need that immediate information, and as far as I can see, Apple doesn't have that. I know you can swipe to something similar, but the way the Android home screen works is just right for the way my brain works! 

Oh, I forgot that the iPhone doesn't have widgets. It was one of my favorite features when I switched. I love my widgets. All my frequent apps are right there with quick and easy access. I love that I can see my calendar and to do list on my "desktop". 

• Like 1

If your Samsung Galaxy is acting up, and you are willing to wipe out your Data (contacts, Apps, etc.) try resetting it to the way it was when it left the factory.

Settings >About device > >Personal > Backup and reset > Back up my data > then, after you backup your data;  below that >Factory data reset

ETA: You might find this article about different Prepaid Cell providers interesting. It is very recent...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

Edited by Lanny

If your Samsung Galaxy is acting up, and you are willing to wipe out your Data (contacts, Apps, etc.) try resetting it to the way it was when it left the factory.

Settings >About device > >Personal > Backup and reset > Back up my data > then, after you backup your data;  below that >Factory data reset

I have way too much on there to wipe it out.   (contacts alone is a lot of information)....the apps are easier to replace...except I have purchased some of them...so I am not sure about that.  Oh, that is another question...

if I get a new phone can I transfer any apps I bought to my new phone...or will I have to repurchase them?

• Like 1

I have way too much on there to wipe it out.   (contacts alone is a lot of information)....the apps are easier to replace...except I have purchased some of them...so I am not sure about that.  Oh, that is another question...

if I get a new phone can I transfer any apps I bought to my new phone...or will I have to repurchase them?

Hopefully, if you use the Backup feature, before you do the Factory Reset, or, replace your  old Samsung with a new phone,  you can then Restore your Backup, to your phone and get your Contacts back. 

I have my phone set up with Google, and each time I have changed phones, or, last weekend, flashed the Firmware in mine, my Contacts list grows and grows. I think I have about 4 entries for my wife, for one example, in my Contacts list.

About the paid (PRO)  Apps.  I do not think you will need to pay again.  My wife previously had a Samsung Galaxy phone (she had Rooted it) and while she was away on a trip  she installed the WhatsApp App on it. Something went terribly wrong and from what I now know, I doubt that it had to do with her installing WhatsApp. We have WhatsApp on all of the phones. The bottom line is that she did not have the "EFS" section of her Samsung phone Backed up.  I read about that, a couple of weeks ago, and that's the first thing I did, after I rooted it. If the EFS section (which contains the IMEI and other critical stuff) gets corrupted, and there is no backup, a Samsung will never work again, as a phone or for Text messages. Other brands have a section like the EFS in a Samsung, but they call it something else. In a Samsung, the EFS section is THE critical section. Everything else can be replaced, but if that gets corrupted and there is no backup, time to buy a new phone...

To get back on topic...  She had rooted her old Samsung and had purchased the Pro version of Titanium Backup, which is hugely popular for Rooted Android phones.  Then, in late January 2016, she bought a new Motorola phone. It is not rooted. The license for Titanium Backup Pro was not being used.  We contacted them last week and they were very kind and transferred her license to me, and I now I have Titanium Backup Pro running on my phone. $5.99 saved.

I think, but I am assuming, which I try not to do, that if you wipe your phone, or, if you replace it with another phone, that you will be able to reinstall your paid (PRO) Apps, without paying for them a 2nd time, as long as you are using the same Gmail address on your phone that is linked to the PRO license.  If not,  send them an email or contact them on their web site and they will probably make it possible, without you needing to pay a 2nd time.  Paying once is fine, twice, no...

Edited by Lanny

so for those who have and love androids...which phone specifically do you have? (especially Mandamom because you said your camera is really good).

If you want a great camera, the LG G5 has an awesome one.  It's also set up to accept modules and there is a great camera mod for it.  My dh and ds have this phone and the camera mod came with it when they got it.  Ds takes tons of pics and loves it.

To your original question, iPhones aren't better than Androids which aren't better than iPhones.  The only real difference is in the price points.  With Androids, you have a wide choice of makers and price points.  Pretty much any app that you can get on the Apple store will also be on Google Play.  As far as quality goes, you will find comparable features.  I do think you'll get better durability, especially on screen durability, on some of the Android choices, but that's probably the only quality feature where Apple is really lacking.  Everything else is pretty much the same.

FWIW, I have BlackBerry Android phones for my work and like them a lot.  They have the BB features that make my work life seamless and easy, plus the fun stuff of Android.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 1

I did just think of one major downfall for choosing Apple.  You can't insert an SD card, so there's no capacity to store pics, docs, etc. or to expand the usuable memory space.  Most Android phones have the capacity to accept an SD card.  To me, no SD card capacity is a big detractor.  If you are currently using an SD card to store stuff, you won't be able to easily transfer that to an iPhone without first uploading everything to their cloud, and then you would only have access to that material through their cloud which mean you either need to be on a wifi connection, or you are going to use up some of your data plan to access it.   This may or may not be an issue for you, but it's something to consider.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 2

If you are using Android now, then anything you bought should be on your Google Play account.  You need to be sure to set up your new phone using your current Google Play account and then you can reinstall the apps onto the new phone, including whatever you paid for previously. 

See here for complete instructions: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113410?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

• Like 2

I did just think of one major downfall for choosing Apple.  You can't insert an SD card, so there's no capacity to store pics, docs, etc. or to expand the usuable memory space.  Most Android phones have the capacity to accept an SD card.  To me, no SD card capacity is a big detractor.  If you are currently using an SD card to store stuff, you won't be able to easily transfer that to an iPhone without first uploading everything to their cloud, and then you would only have access to that material through their cloud which mean you either need to be on a wifi connection, or you are going to use up some of your data plan to access it.   This may or may not be an issue for you, but it's something to consider.

Audrey: That is not limited to Apple phones!  The book I bought, one year ago, Android Phones for Dummies, let us assume was written 2 or 3 years ago. He explained that: It is becoming increasingly common for Android phones *NOT* to have a slot for an External SD card AND that Removable Batteries are becoming increasingly rare.   I believe Removable Batteries and being able to insert an SD card are great features... 

Audrey: That is not limited to Apple phones!  The book I bought, one year ago, Android Phones for Dummies, let us assume was written 2 or 3 years ago. He explained that: It is becoming increasingly common for Android phones *NOT* to have a slot for an External SD card AND that Removable Batteries are becoming increasingly rare.   I believe Removable Batteries and being able to insert an SD card are great features... 

Yes, the removable batteries are becoming less common, but the majority of Android phones I've seen lately still have SD slots.  It would definitely be something to consider when looking into a new phone. I agree the SD slot is a great feature.  My son takes tons of photos and video.  I know that having no SD slot would be a deal breaker for him. 

We chose Galaxy phones for several reasons, one of which is the camera which is rated the highest on consumer reports.  I now have the Galaxy 7 which apparently can be dropped into not too deep pools and still work so that is a good feature.  I have only used Android phones.  One other thing I don't like about the latest Iphone is the headphones deal.  If I lose my earbuds for Galaxy or they are broken, I can stop at any gas station and get another one for not much money.  We don't use any Apple products here.

• Like 2

As Audrey and Lanny explained, if you get another Android phone and use the same Google/Gmail account, all your apps will transfer over.

If you current phone is a Samsung, and your new phone is also a Samsung, you can use the app called Samsung Smart Switch to transfer everything from the old Samsung to the new one.

If you switch to the iPhone, then you will have to register for a new Apple ID and get all your apps via the Apple Store. I don't think the apps you bought in the Google App Store will transfer over.

Re. your question about the phone camera, the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge both have excellent cameras. The photo quality is even better than that on the iPhone 6/6S series.

I listen to audio books and songs on my phone, and I also transfer videos and ebooks sometimes.

When I looked at the iPhone, the lack of an SD card slot, and being forced to go through iTunes to transfer videos and audio books from the computer to the phone were deal breakers. I have used Android phones (one Sony and several Samsung ones) and am pleased with the Samsung Galaxy S7.

• Like 2

We chose Galaxy phones for several reasons, one of which is the camera which is rated the highest on consumer reports.  I now have the Galaxy 7 which apparently can be dropped into not too deep pools and still work so that is a good feature.  I have only used Android phones.  One other thing I don't like about the latest Iphone is the headphones deal.  If I lose my earbuds for Galaxy or they are broken, I can stop at any gas station and get another one for not much money.  We don't use any Apple products here.

Last night, I watched several video reviews of Motorola phones, on CNET.com   I think it was the Moto 5 Plus they mentioned  has the same camera as the Samsung Galaxy 7?

We have moved (with the exception of my 2014 Samsung) to Motorola and Lenovo  phones (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility). Both brands (Samsung and Motorola) are extremely good, according to our neighbor who is an Electronic Engineer and has worked for a major  cell provider for 20 years.  My wife purchased the low-end Samsung Galaxy I am using (a late 2014 model) from her Niece. The previous user was a boy who was 4 or 5 years old at the time. It does not have Gorilla Glass. To me, that is extremely impressive.  We have 3 Motorola phones and a Lenovo in the house, purchased starting at the end of January 2016. The Lenovo and one of the Motorolas get what I consider to be very heavy use, because they are used for work. the others get low use. All work perfectly.   I have great respect for the Samsung Galaxy I am using (it works perfectly, despite the previous user being so young), but Samsungs are a little harder to use than a Motorola.  Our neighbor told me in January 2016, before we started buying new phones, that of the last 5 phones he'd gotten, 3 of them were Motorola and 2 were Samsung. He told me they connect very well to the cell towers and are a lot of bang for the buck.  Samsung or Motorola/Lenovo are the brands we will stay with.  

I think Gorilla Glass is a big plus and also if a phone has some water resistance or water proofing that is a big plus.  The first thing they do, if you take a phone in for warranty repair is to see if it has been in water. That voids the warranty.  I read that the stickers installed to detect that are so sensitive that the phone does not actually need to have been in water. It could be, for example, in a bathroom, where someone is taking a shower, and the humidity can change the sticker to indicate the phone was in (or exposed to) water.   The Moto phone my wife bought in late January 2016 has some waterproofing.   Possibly some of the others do too.

I had taken a phone my wife had used in for service and the woman told me it had been in water. I called my wife and she said no it had not been in water. However, she later realized that in the house she had it between her "books" I think they are called on WTM, so she had it with her, and apparently there was enough humidity/moisture to make the sticker inside the phone show that it had been in water.   :closedeyes:

And I remember Dana Perino reported that she dropped her iPhone into a toilet, a year or so ago and her phone was dead after that and she had to get a new phone.

I resisted iPhone for a long time. I finally switched mainly because my dh and two oldest ds are on it. They wanted me to have iMessage and I wanted them to be able to tell me how to use my phone ;)

I didn't want to admit I liked it because I held out so long but I love my iPhone. Granted I don't do anything very techy but I do text heavily, take pics, use the Internet, etc. A totally not techy reason I love my iPhone: group messaging with my dh and kids is the best. They are funny and we stay connected. Sometimes when I say I love my iPhone I realize what I really love is being in the group chat with my people :)

• Like 1

for you guys who like Samsung.  I currently have a Samsung...and I am having problems with it....even though it's not that old.  I am scared to go with Samsung again....

however, maybe mine is a low end phone...and if I spend a bit more money will I not have the same problems that I am having now?

the problems?

sluggish, isn't responsive all of the time

doesn't' always connect to a wifi (even though it's been connected there many times before...our home mostly...but all of our other devices....including my husband's very old and cheap smart phone does)

the keyboard sticks....meaning...I try to type something....and it doesn't work (maybe that is part of sluggish)

I send a text....and it can take FOREVER sometimes to actually send.....

it drops facebook, my email, the weather app....often.

the battery drains quickly....however, not always...most of the time..but there are random days where it doesn't...so I don't think it's a battery thing...but maybe it is...

you recommended a S7.....is a S5 that much below a S7?  What would be the difference?  The only reason I ask is to learn....and there is a S5 on the tracfone site...but it's $300....and that is expensive for me...unless I can seriously keep it for more than a year....(I wonder if I can get it cheaper unlocked?)

thanks for all of your help!!!!

We use Apple phones because they integrate so easily with the IPads in our house and the Apple CarPlay in vehicles and the Apple TV that is in the RV. Over the years, we have acquired many apps that we use for work, school, etc. I do not want to start over by buying new apps. Apple just seemed to come out with stuff we needed first, Android was usually a year behind back in the day when we were getting started. Now, we are so far enmeshed that I could not change easily. Whether one or the other is now better is irrelevant at this point. So, my advice is to really figure out what you need a phone to do and go from there rather than just a generic which phone is better.

Yes, the removable batteries are becoming less common, but the majority of Android phones I've seen lately still have SD slots.  It would definitely be something to consider when looking into a new phone. I agree the SD slot is a great feature.  My son takes tons of photos and video.  I know that having no SD slot would be a deal breaker for him. 

When I first switched to Android I chose Samsung(Galaxy S4) because of both the sd card and removable battery. They no longer offer a removable battery (and I think they were the only brand that did) but the battery life on their phones is highly improved so it isn't really necessary. I still like having a slot for an sd card but as Audrey says, there are a number of Android based phones that offer that.

for you guys who like Samsung.  I currently have a Samsung...and I am having problems with it....even though it's not that old.  I am scared to go with Samsung again....

however, maybe mine is a low end phone...and if I spend a bit more money will I not have the same problems that I am having now?

the problems?

sluggish, isn't responsive all of the time

doesn't' always connect to a wifi (even though it's been connected there many times before...our home mostly...but all of our other devices....including my husband's very old and cheap smart phone does)

the keyboard sticks....meaning...I try to type something....and it doesn't work (maybe that is part of sluggish)

I send a text....and it can take FOREVER sometimes to actually send.....

it drops facebook, my email, the weather app....often.

the battery drains quickly....however, not always...most of the time..but there are random days where it doesn't...so I don't think it's a battery thing...but maybe it is...

you recommended a S7.....is a S5 that much below a S7?  What would be the difference?  The only reason I ask is to learn....and there is a S5 on the tracfone site...but it's $300....and that is expensive for me...unless I can seriously keep it for more than a year....(I wonder if I can get it cheaper unlocked?)

thanks for all of your help!!!!

What model do you have? From things I read back when I considered upgrading my S4 to S5, the S5 wasn't much different or better. It was the S6 that brought the big changes and improvements. Dh still uses his S4 and is only now starting to complain about it being wonky. It's probably time for him to upgrade (the S8 is about to come out so S4 is really old) but he doesn't use his phone much so he doesn't want to spend much on one. He's considering getting a go-phone and just putting his SIM card in it.

ETA: $300 sounds high for an S5. Brand new ones are selling for $175 to just over $200 on eBay. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Android family here, Galaxy S6s.  DH used to have an iphone because he is an Apple geek with a Mac computer. Eventually he switched because the phone was so much cheaper to buy, and he said he likes the Android just as well as he liked the iphone.  His opinion is they perform just as well but are cheaper to purchase.

the Samsung I currently own is a Galaxy core Prime...and i have no idea where that ranks with all of the other samsung phones.

Your current phone is one of Samsung's most basic models and a few years old now.  An S7 is on a whole other level.  You'll find huge improvements in processing speed, battery life, screen resolution, app responsiveness, OS, and pretty much everything else.  IMO, I don't think you'd be sorry to upgrade to another Samsung if you went with an S7. 

Maybe see if your service provider has any upgrade deals.  You might be able to upgrade to an S7 for few or zero dollars.

• Like 2