Menu

Accredited diploma programs for high school

I will have a 9th grader next year and am looking for options for accredited programs that will issue transcripts/issue a diploma, but let me choose curricula. Does such a program exist?

I know I can do transcripts and a diploma on my own. I know accredited programs are not necessarily better. Dh very strongly wants him to have a diploma and transcripts issued by an accredited program. I'm fine with this as long as I can choose the curricula.

DE through community college is possible in 11/12th grades and could also give him a diploma. But, not sure he'll do DE, so would like to be working with a program towards a diploma beginning in 9th.

Well, you might look at Clonlara. They have an on-line program but they also have their off-campus program where the parent fashions their own and gets it approved through Clonara. You have to answer some questions, etc. Clonara tracks everything and issues a transcript and diploma but you can craft the materials/classes. You might have to tweak a bit to get it approved, though.

http://www.clonlara.org/off-campus/

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies so far. Not looking at doing anything really out of the ordinary and using pretty common curricula, but some things he's doing with a co-op (science with lab and foreign language) with teachers, and I'd like to count those. I definitely don't want him doing full time online classes. I'm ok with a few.

Another option is Kolbe. Their accreditation is NAPCIS (it's for Catholic schools) and they require some theology credits, but they let you design your own courses, outsource to other providers and dual enroll. They're pretty inexpensive too.

I'm liking what I see on Kolbe's website. We're Protestant, but seems like we can choose our own resources for theology. I'm also considering Classical Conversations for ds, and what he'd be studying there seems to line up pretty well with Kolbe. I like that Kolbe offers a Latin class using Henle

ETA: I've always been pretty opposed to Classical Conversations, until I visited a local group where I personally know the Challenge tutors, and their ability to lead and direct a class. And seeing what they do at the high school level, ds would absolutely love it.

Edited by Bethany Grace

With Clonlara you can put your program together from various providers or do everything at home. There would be an advisor assigned to your family that would help you put it all together and help you track everything. It's a great program. We've used the off-campus program for years and we are going to try a couple online courses next year.

• Like 1

Classical Conversations is not an accredited program, to my knowledge.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and was especially interested in Kolbe, as they are a good fit for our classical school paradigm.

But when I looked at colleges, some only recognize national and regional accreditation, and the ones that use different, lesser known, private school accreditation, like Kolbe, don't fit that criteria. Even some IRL private schools don't have the widely recognized regional accreditations, so while they will have a school name on their transcript and colleges may not care, it's also possible they may be viewed as "unaccredited" for the purposes of a particular university.

All that to say that I understand the appeal. But if I were to go through all the extra paperwork and cost to accredit, I would choose one that provides certification from a more widely recognized agency, either regionally or for my state. Examples:

https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/agencies.aspx

• Like 1

I will have a 9th grader next year and am looking for options for accredited programs that will issue transcripts/issue a diploma, but let me choose curricula. Does such a program exist?

I know I can do transcripts and a diploma on my own. I know accredited programs are not necessarily better. Dh very strongly wants him to have a diploma and transcripts issued by an accredited program. I'm fine with this as long as I can choose the curricula.

Accredited diplomas tend to only be needed by cosmetology schools and some trade schools, and by a few, rare U.S. universities and some international universities. The U.S. Military accepts parent-awarded diplomas, as do the vast majority of universities, and community colleges. So if something comes up and you end up unable to complete the entire 4 years with an accredited oversight organization, don't panic; the likelihood is that DS will never need it. :) Not at all trying to dissuade you from going that route -- just reassuring you that you'll be okay if for some reason you have to change plans at some point.

DE through community college is possible in 11/12th grades and could also give him a diploma. But, not sure he'll do DE, so would like to be working with a program towards a diploma beginning in 9th.

Just a heads-up -- you will want to carefully check out a DE program that offers a diploma. Often those are community colleges offering HIGH SCHOOL courses rather than college level courses within these programs, so that the credits are NOT dual credit -- counting as credits on both the high school transcript AND the permanent college transcript. The nice thing about the real college dual credit courses is that frequently these credits transfer to a university and count towards a degree program, so that a high school student is able to knock out some college courses for a degree before even reaching college. :)

I'm liking what I see on Kolbe's website. We're Protestant, but seems like we can choose our own resources for theology. I'm also considering Classical Conversations for ds, and what he'd be studying there seems to line up pretty well with Kolbe. I like that Kolbe offers a Latin class using Henle

ETA: I've always been pretty opposed to Classical Conversations, until I visited a local group where I personally know the Challenge tutors, and their ability to lead and direct a class. And seeing what they do at the high school level, ds would absolutely love it.

No personal experience, but from what others on this Board share about CC Challenge, it really is all about the tutor. If you've found some awesome tutors and you know the program would fit for your student, yea! :)

If CC, or an accredit program, or something else, works for all 4 years, great! But it's also okay if it is a fit only "for a season". You'll be amazed how much your student grows and changes, and how many unexpected opportunities pop up over the course of high school, so make your plans in pencil, hold on to them lightly, and be prepared to flex and change as needed. Have a fabulous high school journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the info..... I'll look into the programs suggested more. I'm on the fence about Classical Conversations. The Challenge tutors at our local one are fantastic, and I really think ds would love the discussion/community aspect (he is already friends with over half the kids that would be in his class). And, he's very much my extrovert and has felt isolated doing all his schoolwork alone st home this year. But, it is expensive and not accredited. So, to help dh feel better about continuing homeschooling in high school, I'd like to be able to combine it with something accredited. I like the way Kolbe sounds, and the price, but understand about the regional accreditation. Clonara looks better for that but us quite a bit more expensive......

Edited by Bethany Grace

Thanks for all the info..... I'll look into the programs suggested more. I'm on the fence about Classical Conversations. The Challenge tutors at our local one are fantastic, and I really think ds would love the discussion/community aspect (he is already friends with over half the kids that would be in his class). And, he's very much my extrovert and has felt isolated doing all his schoolwork alone st home this year. But, it is expensive and not accredited. So, to help dh feel better about continuing homeschooling in high school, I'd like to be able to combine it with something accredited. I like the way Kolbe sounds, and the price, but understand about the regional accreditation. Clonara looks better for that but us quite a bit more expensive......

Did you look at NARHS? Looks quite a bit cheaper than Clonlara and also accredited.

Classical Conversations is not an accredited program, to my knowledge.

I looked at this a couple of years ago and was especially interested in Kolbe, as they are a good fit for our classical school paradigm.

But when I looked at colleges, some only recognize national and regional accreditation, and the ones that use different, lesser known, private school accreditation, like Kolbe, don't fit that criteria. Even some IRL private schools don't have the widely recognized regional accreditations, so while they will have a school name on their transcript and colleges may not care, it's also possible they may be viewed as "unaccredited" for the purposes of a particular university.

All that to say that I understand the appeal. But if I were to go through all the extra paperwork and cost to accredit, I would choose one that provides certification from a more widely recognized agency, either regionally or for my state. Examples:

https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/agencies.aspx

Penelope, I am wondering what your experience is with this. In communicating with several adcoms this yr, my understanding is that universities lump ALL non-traditional students into the same category. I was surprised, but the offices we dealt with told me that even accredited online programs (charters, virtual schools, etc) were lumped together and evaluated right alongside homeschoolers' unaccredited transcripts.

I don't know if that is universally true or just the norm amg the handful of schools we dealt with. But, based on what I was told, it seemed to me that they do not consider accredited degrees unattached to a brick and mortar experience equivalent to brick and mortar schools' transcripts and evaluate them differently.

I would appreciate any knowledge you have on the issue. (I offer workshops to parents and what I offer is limited to my own experience.)

• Like 1

Penelope, I am wondering what your experience is with this. In communicating with several adcoms this yr, my understanding is that universities lump ALL non-traditional students into the same category. I was surprised, but the offices we dealt with told me that even accredited online programs (charters, virtual schools, etc) were lumped together and evaluated right alongside homeschoolers' unaccredited transcripts.

I don't know if that is universally true or just the norm amg the handful of schools we dealt with. But, based on what I was told, it seemed to me that they do not consider accredited degrees unattached to a brick and mortar experience equivalent to brick and mortar schools' transcripts and evaluate them differently.

I would appreciate any knowledge you have on the issue. (I offer workshops to parents and what I offer is limited to my own experience.)

I think you would need to check with each school individually.

One that I am familiar with (BYU) counts GPA from any accredited source in its admissions and scholarship calculations but ignores any transcript or GPA from a home issued diploma; those kids are evaluated primarily on SAT/ACT scores.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

I think you would need to check with each school individually.

One that I am familiar with (BYU) counts GPA from any accredited source in its admissions and scholarship calculations but ignores any transcript or GPA from a home issued diploma; those kids are evaluated primarily on SAT/ACT scores.

Do you know if the online accredited students' applications are reviewed by their regions' AO or if they are reviewed by the nontraditional education AO? That is the distinction I am trying to understand.

... my understanding is that universities lump ALL non-traditional students into the same category. I was surprised, but the offices we dealt with told me that even accredited online programs (charters, virtual schools, etc) were lumped together and evaluated right alongside homeschoolers' unaccredited transcripts... it seemed to me that they do not consider accredited degrees unattached to a brick and mortar experience equivalent to brick and mortar...

Side Note: I know this doesn't answer 8FillTheHeart's question about *universities*, AND it is probably not info needed by the original poster, but I just want to toss in the following for others who might be reading and who need an accredited diploma for other reasons:

Accredited diplomas from online accrediting organizations ARE accepted by cosmetology schools and trade schools that refuse parent-awarded diplomas, and will only accept either accredited diplomas or a GED for admission.

Do you know if the online accredited students' applications are reviewed by their regions' AO or if they are reviewed by the nontraditional education AO? That is the distinction I am trying to understand.

I have no idea what pile the applications go in, and I haven't talked to admissions offices. I was just sharing my thought process when I was looking at Kolbe and NARHS etc.

I looked at lots of websites a year or two before we started homeschooling high school, going down the lists at US News, and there were very few that distinguished between accredited and non accredited transcripts for homeschoolers. There were a few, though, that stated that there were additional requirements for those with unaccredited homeschool transcripts that would not apply if the homeschool transcript was accredited. The additional requirements were anything from extra testing, to some of the things that homeschoolers here say they do anyway, like course descriptions or portfolios of work.

Whether the websites mirrors actual admissions practices is unknown to me. What is also unknown is how any individual admissions office views accreditation. It could be that even though homeschool transcripts are all evaluated together, some colleges give an accredited transcript a little more weight just because of that outside evaluation from a large accrediting body. I don't know and I don't know how many of them would tell us. But homeschooled students have been getting into great colleges for over two decades now, and most according to HSLDA do not have accreditation, so that says something.

Edited by Penelope

I think I remember SWB said this recently on the boards??....B&M students in one group, all others in another group. So, no, accreditation probably doesn't matter much for college admissions. It does for NCAA, possibly returning to public high school, trade school, etc.

I'm also looking at NARHS. Their website doesn't look like it's been updated regularly, still has a lot of 2015 dates on it. It definitely is less expensive than Clonara. I also talked yesterday to a local private school that has a distance program and will provide transcripts and a diploma.... waiting for more info from them.

• Like 1

... So, no, accreditation probably doesn't matter much for college admissions. It does for NCAA...

Just a quick clarification for anyone heading in the NCAA direction:

Actually, accreditation is NOT a concern for NCAA. They are concerned that the student has accomplished the NCAA's 16 required core credits with NCAA approved texts/materials or approved online course providers.

NCAA accepts non-accredited parent-awarded diplomas from all states, except NY and HI, because NCAA abides by each state's regulations re: homeschooling. All 48 other states have regulations governing homeschooling which accept parent-awarded diplomas and do NOT require accreditation.

For NY and HI: A diploma from an accredited online organization does NOT meet state requirements for graduation, and so an accredited diploma from an online overseeing organization does NOT help with NCAA proof of high school graduation requirements. From the NCAA webpage on homeschoolers:

"Acceptable proofs of graduation include the following:

- Diploma showing month, day and year of graduation.

- Home school transcript showing month, day and year of graduation.

- GED test results and diploma.

The NCAA Eligibility Center cannot accept proof of graduation from a diploma issued by a home school in New York or Hawaii because those states do not recognize home school diplomas. If a student is home schooled in New York or Hawaii and does not graduate from a high school, the student must provide a GED certificate, district high school diploma, or state department of education diploma in order to meet the NCAA's graduation requirements."

So NY and HI homeschoolers have to jump their state's hoops to get a district diploma or state dept. of ed. diploma to be NCAA eligible. Everyone else can have a parent-awarded homeschool diploma and transcript and be eligible for NCAA. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Just a quick clarification for anyone heading in the NCAA direction:

Actually, accreditation is NOT a concern for NCAA. They are concerned that the student has accomplished the NCAA's 16 required core credits with NCAA approved texts/materials or approved online course providers.

NCAA accepts non-accredited parent-awarded diplomas from all states, except NY and HI, because NCAA abides by each state's regulations re: homeschooling. All 48 other states have regulations governing homeschooling which accept parent-awarded diplomas and do NOT require accreditation.

For NY and HI: A diploma from an accredited online organization does NOT meet state requirements for graduation, and so an accredited diploma from an online overseeing organization does NOT help with NCAA proof of high school graduation requirements. From the NCAA webpage on homeschoolers:

"Acceptable proofs of graduation include the following:

- Diploma showing month, day and year of graduation.

- Home school transcript showing month, day and year of graduation.

- GED test results and diploma.

The NCAA Eligibility Center cannot accept proof of graduation from a diploma issued by a home school in New York or Hawaii because those states do not recognize home school diplomas. If a student is home schooled in New York or Hawaii and does not graduate from a high school, the student must provide a GED certificate, district high school diploma, or state department of education diploma in order to meet the NCAA's graduation requirements."

So NY and HI homeschoolers have to jump their state's hoops to get a district diploma or state dept. of ed. diploma to be NCAA eligible. Everyone else can have a parent-awarded homeschool diploma and transcript and be eligible for NCAA. :)

Thanks, Lori, for the clarification. 🙂 My ds isn't a sports guy, so NCAA won't apply to us, but I have seen a lot of the online providers marketing that they meet NCAA requirements.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lori, for the clarification. 🙂 My ds isn't a sports guy, so NCAA won't apply to us, but I have seen a lot of the online providers marketing that they meet NCAA requirements.

Yes, that means they're on the NCAA approved list. It doesn't necessarily mean they are accredited -- and even if they are accredited, it is not in their purview to provide an accredited diploma. ;) 

• Like 1

I don't know but may try to find out and get back to you. It's an interesting question.