Menu

Naval Academy Summer Seminar???

My son has been checking his email daily, but he's heard nothing back from USNA regarding his application (which was received in January).  I told him to try contacting them again (pretty sure he did by email a few days ago), as all of the decisions were due out 15 April.  We're assuming he didn't get in -- but in the off chance there was some sort of system glitch.

Should I encourage him to call?  Wait? Forget about it?

Thanks.

No information about the academy. But, based on my son's applications to other programs, he should have received a decision, most likely by email, and several follow up announcements by now.  I would check to see what happened to his app. Only times we received no decision were when we decided not to complete the  process. Was his app deemed incomplete somehow?

My dd heard last year on 2/23/16. If his portal indicates that his ss application is complete, but no other status is indicated, he could give USNA Admissions a call. It would likely be more effective to email his assigned admissions counselor if he has been given one.

No information about the academy. But, based on my son's applications to other programs, he should have received a decision, most likely by email, and several follow up announcements by now.  I would check to see what happened to his app. Only times we received no decision were when we decided not to complete the  process. Was his app deemed incomplete somehow?

No idea.  We haven't received any communication regarding NASS after the confirmation that his application was received.  We sent another email to the admissions counselor assigned to him for the process.  The only other emails we've gotten are regarding attending special weekends (which, we can't attend for kind of obvious reasons).

Have the student call. We heard back (years past for 4 kids) much earlier than now. Friends of ours have already heard from everyone save CGA. 

eta:--I was too late with this post. So sorry to hear that. 

To be honest, it was kind of expected.  His "childhood asthma" probably just kicked it out the door...even though he's never been hospitalized for asthma, had one "attack" (use of the term is very loose) 5 years ago, and has been unmediated for 4 years. I told a couple of people -- and they were like, "NOOO!  Why would you tell them that?"  lol -- well, it's those words "any and all" or "ever."  "Have you EVER been..."  well, there was this one time at the age of 3 years, he was treated for dehydration... (I didn't include that).  That AND having our "home state" being Virginia makes it really, really hard.  

When doing his paperwork, the Navy hospital advised me to leave that question blank on all of the history forms, and go over it with the attending physician at his physical.

So, we're getting the medical stuff all out of the way now.  If something is disqualifying we'd rather know now than after he's done all of the nominations, etc.  

But, assuming his test scores are strong (May/June tests), and nothing medical is wrong -- he's on a "short list" at one (probably two or three service academies -- we'll know more in June).  AND, he's being recruited from a few other colleges which sweetens the deal.  It will all come down to COST + strength of engineering program + swimming (last).  I'm just hoping we are down to fewer than 10 schools by the end of July.  

I believe the cutoff for asthma if 12yo, and they may have to take the challenge to even get that by. And few can pass the challenge, even if you don't have it. Yeah, on to Plan B, most likely. The DoDMERB is tough.

See, I've been kicking against that dx since he was 12! But we moved here and weren't able to do much to rectify it. His "symptoms" don't match any asthma checklist, not even intermittent asthma. His former swim coach here (retired Navy), and a doctor here swear he doesn't have it. When we received the paperwork, I called MEPS back about his history with asthma, and they told me to leave that part blank, and discuss it with the doctor when we had the physical. He hasn't even had a prescription for an inhaler (or any other meds) since we moved here, although he has had annual physicals, and he's been cleared for all activities.

Although, they said my younger son (who was never diagnosed with asthma, but was hospitalized twice) should have been (his was most likely viral induced, and he was supposed to have smaller than normal airway and he's been episode free now for 3.5 years! We were told he'd probably outgrow it...)

I remember when oldest was diagnosed, no one believing it. I think I posted on the general forum about it all back then.

Plan B is going to be a lot tougher financially. But we are working on it.