Menu

Dairy free lunches? (For home, not to take to work or school)

6packofun

It seems like the first suggestion is always hummus, which is not this kid's favorite.  lol  Also, a lot of bento box, separate individual foods that look like a veggie tray.  

This is a picky kid so I need to maybe think outside the box.  (Like, she loves baked potatoes! But she'd NEVER even bother with them without cheese and/or sour cream! So if an item usually has cheese in it or on it, she tends to not want it at all sans cheese.  *sigh*)  If I can just get a few good options she can rotate through we'll be golden. Like colby cheese...  Oh, sorry!  :P  I don't mind cooking up batches of something--or making her do it--to have on hand for the week.  She's tired of soup, but maybe a heartier stew or even chili would work.

Anyway. Help.

It seems like the first suggestion is always hummus, which is not this kid's favorite. lol Also, a lot of bento box, separate individual foods that look like a veggie tray.

This is a picky kid so I need to maybe think outside the box. (Like, she loves baked potatoes! But she'd NEVER even bother with them without cheese and/or sour cream! So if an item usually has cheese in it or on it, she tends to not want it at all sans cheese. *sigh*) If I can just get a few good options she can rotate through we'll be golden. Like colby cheese... Oh, sorry! [emoji14] I don't mind cooking up batches of something--or making her do it--to have on hand for the week. She's tired of soup, but maybe a heartier stew or even chili would work.

Anyway. Help.

Smoothies made with Almond milk. They do make milkless cheese. Some you can't really tell the difference.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Sandwiches = bread or rolls plus any meat

Hot dogs

Fruit

Fritos, Potato Chips, Chex Mix, Sun Chips

Elbow macaroni with ground beef and spaghetti sauce

Tyson Chicken Nuggets

Tyson Country Fried Steak

Van De Kamps Fish Filets and Fish Sticks

I assume easy lunches is what you are looking for?

I guess I'm confused as to what is so hard about dairy free?  Are you avoiding meat, too?  Is that why it's a problem?  FWIW, my dd16 has been allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts since a baby, so I'm well-versed in dairy free, among other things.

Oh thank you!  Forgot about chicken salad and I was wondering if non-dairy cheese was worth a try!

Perkybunch, this dd loves yogurt, cheese, sour cream and tends to eat meals--like tacos/carnitas  or sandwiches--that always "need" cheese!  We did Whole30 and she got so sick of meat, meat, meat! I'm trying to get her used to putting avocado or guacamole as a spread instead of what she really wants on it.  lol

Chicken salad

Tuna or salmon salad (if child likes sushi, you can make a poor man's sushi salad with rice, cucumbers, spicy mayo...)

Egg salad

Eggs and toast

Egg sandwiches

Deli meat sandwiches or wraps

Leftover grilled chicken breast wraps

Soups

Salads

Bagels with smoked salmon (there's a faux cream cheese that isn't terrible)

PB&J

When I had to be dairy free, I found Fajitas not to "need" cheese like other taco-y things. I also liked rice bowls with black beans (Goya black bean soup is so good! It's not really soup consistency), salsa, and guacamole.

Oh thank you!  Forgot about chicken salad and I was wondering if non-dairy cheese was worth a try!

Perkybunch, this dd loves yogurt, cheese, sour cream and tends to eat meals--like tacos/carnitas  or sandwiches--that always "need" cheese!  We did Whole30 and she got so sick of meat, meat, meat! I'm trying to get her used to putting avocado or guacamole as a spread instead of what she really wants on it.  lol

Ah, okay.  Then you should know that most dairy-free cheeses have casein in them, which is dairy.  Read the ingredient label carefully.

Yogurt made from soy or coconut milk exists and is tasty.  They probably have some made from almonds, too, although I haven't checked into that.  My dd likes soy and hates coconut.

Tofutti sour cream is not bad.  Tofutti cream cheese is okay in recipes, but you probably don't want to spread it on your bagel.

Ben and Jerry's have vegan (and therefore dairy free) ice cream flavors now.  Good ones, too, like Chunky Monkey.

Tofutti cuties are yummy ice cream sandwiches.  Marry Me Bars are yummy vanilla dairy free ice cream coated in chocolate on a stick.

Veganaise or Nayonaise is a pretty decent mayo substitute.

Earth Balance margarine is quite tasty for a butter substitute.

I know these aren't lunch ideas, but they might be helpful for you :)

Ben and Jerry's have vegan (and therefore dairy free) ice cream flavors now.  Good ones, too, like Chunky Monkey.

OH OH OH I did not know this!  Oh I might be so happy!  Unless they made it from nut milk.  Then I will be sad again.

DD says the daiya cheddar is the closest to real cheese, just make sure that you can get it hot and then stir.

Otherwise DD often had rice cakes with PB or quinoa pasta with tomatoes and spinach.  I made her banana and coconut cream fluff today. Sort of like a cross between ice cream and yogurt. Cut up banana put in freezer, put can of full fat coconut milk in fridge.  When bananas are frozen blend them and only the cream off the top of the coconut milk with a bit of sugar or honey.  

*DD is Vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, and mostly egg free.

I'm not a huge fan of packaged vegan cheese, but a lot of people swear by the Daiya brand. 

You can also sub nutritional yeast for cheese in certain meals. 

I can have sheep milk, and am very allergic to cow milk. Sheep milk is much yummier than goat milk, I really like sheep manchego that you can get at whole foods. The protein is even more different than goat milk from cow milk. That being said, if it works, I would limit sheep cheese and sheep milk yoghert to once every 4 to 5 days so she will not become allergic to that, too.

Edited by ElizabethB

Baked sweet potato with cinnamon sugar and dairy free butter substitute.

Hearty salad-

Protein choices: boiled eggs, diced chicken, diced turkey, ham, goat cheese, chick peas, walnuts, slivered almonds, or bacon.

Other topping choices: croutons, tomatoes, shredded carrots, diced cucumbers, diced apples, berries, sliced peppers, olives, or avocado.

Would a baked potato with chili or pork BBQ on top still be a stretch?

Chicken pesto pasta with homemade dairy free pesto sauce. My recipe uses EVOO, raw sunflower seeds, lemon juice, lots of garlic, and basil.

Taco salad sans cheese.

Fruit, mixed nuts, chips, raw veggies of choice.

Pasta salad (rotini, diced veggies, and some Italian dressing)

Deviled eggs

PB&J

Hot dogs

Apple donuts (apple rings with nut butter and something sprinkled on top like coconut or hemp, or even Enjoy Life chocolate chips)

Banana sushi (similar to above - banana spread with nut butter, sprinkled, sliced)

Smoothies or smoothie popsicles (just freeze left over smoothie in popsicle mold) - we use almond milk and banana for creaminess

Ham cute into cubes

Granola bar (there are great homemade recipes out there)