What's with the ads?

#1 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5432 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

I just overheard the following conversation as I unloaded the dishwasher and had to share. The younger two kids and I were discussing what stuff they will do when they grow up. The wandered off and continued talking in the dining room. This is verbatim. 

DS5: I'm going to be BatMan. Well, first I will be Robin, then NightWing, THEN Bat Man. 

DD4: I'm going to be a princess!

DS5: A princess? That's not even a talent. That's not anything to be! I mean, what's your special ability? You know like what are you really good at? What's your natural talent? That's what you should be. Like I'm naturally a super hero. 

DD4: I'm a princess!!!

DS5: (Sighs and walks away)

I had to cover my mouth to keep from busting out laughing. I love listening to little kids' conversations. 

Any good ones in your house recently? 

• VaKim, JanOH, Jean in Newcastle and 19 others like this

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I just overheard the following conversation as I unloaded the dishwasher and had to share. The younger two kids and I were discussing what stuff they will do when they grow up. The wandered off and continued talking in the dining room. This is verbatim. 

DS5: I'm going to be BatMan. Well, first I will be Robin, then NightWing, THEN Bat Man. 

DS5: A princess? That's not even a talent. That's not anything to be! I mean, what's your special ability? You know like what are you really good at? What's your natural talent? That's what you should be. Like I'm naturally a super hero. 

I had to cover my mouth to keep from busting out laughing. I love listening to little kids' conversations. 

All I have is teen boys who often don't say a word all evening!  I miss those days of fun conversations.

• maize and texasmom33 like this

#3 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5432 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

All I have is teen boys who often don't say a word all evening!  I miss those days of fun conversations.

That's how my oldest is too! She's so quiet. These two never shut up though, and half the time I just block them out, but I was so glad to overhear this one. :) 

• scrapbookbuzz likes this

#4 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25555 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

Mine are a lot older.  Usually they are friendly but rather boring.

One day it was "I hate you, I wish you were never born."  Followed about 15 minutes later with "aren't you going to sleep in my bed?"

My nerd was going on and on about pokemons the other day.  I was thinking, dude, if you were 10 years older you'd be committed, because you are making absolutely NO sense.  :p

When my kids were 4/5 they used to act out The Phantom of the Opera, with or without their Barbies.  They had the entire soundtrack memorized.  Yes I have weird kids.  :p

• Catwoman, dmmetler, Rach and 1 other like this

#5 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28172 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

He was probably hoping she would say she was going to be Batgirl.

I, personally, would have been rooting for her to pick Catwoman.... :leaving:
  • Amy in NH, Ailaena, Rebel Yell and 6 others like this

#6 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5432 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

He was probably hoping she would say she was going to be Batgirl.

I, personally, would have been rooting for her to pick Catwoman.... :leaving:

:)

I think at this point he'd take any superhero she'd pick as preferable to a Princess! Usually he tries to convince her to be Robin. He refers to her his side kick. She gets really ticked when he refers to her as Dick (Robin's real name).  :lol: Usually she plays along, but this week she's in high princess gear. I blame the ballet recital. 

• Catwoman and dmmetler like this

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

:)

I think at this point he'd take any superhero she'd pick as preferable to a Princess! Usually he tries to convince her to be Robin. He refers to her his side kick. She gets really ticked when he refers to her as Dick (Robin's real name).  :lol: Usually she plays along, but this week she's in high princess gear. I blame the ballet recital. 

Well you need to get all you can out of that ridiculously priced recital.  :lol:   So princess it is!

• scrapbookbuzz, Catwoman, Jaybee and 1 other like this

#8 moonsong

moonsong

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

The five yr old isnt allowed to feed the dog as he always over feeds him. I came home to a ton of food in his food bowl
Me to five yr old " Why did you feed hobo?
Five year old" Hobo told me to feed him he said his food was getting very old and he doesn't like old food, he needed new food. He said he was Very hungry and I HAD to give him TEN cups RIGHT NOW!"
I wanted​ to give five yr old a chance to admit to lying so I told him " Hobo can't talk so he couldn't have told you all that.
Five yr old" Well he can bark and I understood every bark he said. He said there were ants in his food and he hates that!"
  • JanOH, Legomom, Alice and 11 others like this

#9 MercyA

MercyA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4885 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:21 PM

Earlier today, my daughter handed my husband a nicely illustrated letter she had written. It is entitled: Why We Should Go Camping for Three One Week in a Place Where There Are a Lot of Bigfoot Sightings.

It's quite persuasive.  :)

• Scarlett, Alice, Corraleno and 9 others like this

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

The five yr old isnt allowed to feed the dog as he always over feeds him. I came home to a ton of food in his food bowl
Five year old" Hobo told me to feed him he said his food was getting very old and he doesn't like old food, he needed new food. He said he was Very hungry and I HAD to give him TEN cups RIGHT NOW!"
I wanted​ to give five yr old a chance to admit to lying so I told him " Hobo can't talk so he couldn't have told you all that.
Five yr old" Well he can bark and I understood every bark he said. He said there were ants in his food and he hates that!"

Oh my word that is stinkin adorable.

• texasmom33 likes this

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Earlier today, my daughter handed my husband a nicely illustrated letter she had written. It is entitled: Why We Should Go Camping for Three One Week in a Place Where There Are a Lot of Bigfoot Sightings.

It's quite persuasive.  :)

One time my ds was about 7 and I made him write about different topics....one day his topic was Love and he slid a note under my bathroom that said, 'I do not like love and I do not want to talk about love.'

• JanOH, Legomom, Corraleno and 11 others like this

#12 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5432 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

One time my ds was about 7 and I made him write about different topics....one day his topic was Love and he slid a note under my bathroom that said, 'I do not like love and I do not want to talk about love.'

:lol:

I hope you saved that note. That would make an excellent rehearsal dinner exhibit. :) 

• JanOH and Amy in NH like this

#13 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

My 11yo spaced outin the middle of a chore and I asked her if she was woolgathering. She replied, "I've lost the sheep."
  • Scarlett, scrapbookbuzz, Corraleno and 10 others like this

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

:lol:

I hope you saved that note. That would make an excellent rehearsal dinner exhibit. :)

I am almost positive I have it.  And yes that is a great idea!

• texasmom33 likes this

#15 Tammi K

Tammi K

Suddenly Morally Degenerate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2812 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Oh, I think they can be funny too....

Just a week ago, DS (16) and I were about to head out for some errands.

Me:  You ready?

DS: Yep. You?

Me: Ready as the day I was born!

DS:  Ummm, maybe you should put some clothes on..... but take a shower first.

• Scarlett, JanOH, scrapbookbuzz and 5 others like this

#16 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

Oh, I think they can be funny too....

Just a week ago, DS (16) and I were about to head out for some errands.

Me:  You ready?

DS: Yep. You?

Me: Ready as the day I was born!

DS:  Ummm, maybe you should put some clothes on..... but take a shower first.

Ha!  Yes, that is clever. 

• Tammi K likes this

#17 Moonhawk

Moonhawk

In need of sleep, or chocolate.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

It wasn't recent, but you reminded me of one of my favorite memories of my then-4yo, now 6yo:  

He jumped down a flight of stairs. He was at the top, just spread his arms and leapt. He hit the ground hard, but he didn't cry or anything, just got up and went and sat on a chair (he didn't know I was watching). He sat for a moment then quietly said to himself, "No, definitely not a superhero."  LOL, I guess thats one way to find out. 

• JanOH, Alice, scrapbookbuzz and 16 others like this

#18 Plink

Plink

Capturing Creativity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2983 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

These are great!

Recently my big kids were having a conversation about the debt ceiling and "extreme measures."  They were discussing which programs should be cut or supported.  Little 7 year old listened to them as their debate heated up and suddenly proclaimed, "There are no good answers.  No matter what you do somebody is going to be mad.  They should just flip a coin and then everyone can be mad at the coin instead of each other."

LOL

• JanOH, scrapbookbuzz, Corraleno and 8 others like this

#19 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

It wasn't recent, but you reminded me of one of my favorite memories of my then-4yo, now 6yo:  

He jumped down a flight of stairs. He was at the top, just spread his arms and leapt. He hit the ground hard, but he didn't cry or anything, just got up and went and sat on a chair (he didn't know I was watching). He sat for a moment then quietly said to himself, "No, definitely not a superhero."  LOL, I guess thats one way to find out. 

LOL.....that is hilarious.

My ds had a friend his age....when they were about 7 she would sing 'I believe I can fly!'  Then she would say, 'no I can't.  Splat!' 

• Junie and texasmom33 like this

#20 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18284 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

These are great!

Recently my big kids were having a conversation about the debt ceiling and "extreme measures."  They were discussing which programs should be cut or supported.  Little 7 year old listened to them as their debate heated up and suddenly proclaimed, "There are no good answers.  No matter what you do somebody is going to be mad.  They should just flip a coin and then everyone can be mad at the coin instead of each other."

LOL

Out of the mouths of babes!

• scrapbookbuzz, Plink and texasmom33 like this

#21 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9918 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Earlier today, my daughter handed my husband a nicely illustrated letter she had written. It is entitled: Why We Should Go Camping for Three One Week in a Place Where There Are a Lot of Bigfoot Sightings.

It's quite persuasive. :)

my dd wrote a persuasive essay at age 10 about why we should install a dungeon with a trapdoor right outside my oldest daughters bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • scrapbookbuzz, ScoutTN, MercyA and 4 others like this

#22 greenbeanmama

greenbeanmama

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Our cats are fed on a schedule. The morning feeding takes place after breakfast, about the time I get home from work.  Sometimes they rush to me and meow plaintively, asking for food.  Half the time, they have already been fed, and if that's the case, the children all cry out, "Their meows are lies!  Don't listen!"

• Scarlett, Amy in NH, scrapbookbuzz and 7 others like this

#23 ananemone

ananemone

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3209 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

I have two (DS8 and DD5) who are a  gold mine for this kind of thing.  I've posted some of them before; here is the most recent:

------------------------------------

DD5 walks up to me, wearing her pink and green dress, with her ribbon crown on, holding a pair of binoculars, and says, "Mom?  Is the Zombie Pocaliss is not happening today?"

"No," I say.  "Not today."

"Sho the zombies aren't coming here tonight?"

"No," I say.  "Not tonight."

"Good," says DD5.  "Cause I was going to hide under my blanket and I was going to be bored."  And she puts down the binoculars (which at this point I realize have something to do with the Zombie Apocalypse).

DD11 (who has been sitting at the table doing her math work) says, "You guys have been playing Zombie Apocalypse in the backyard too much."

DS8 comes in and says, "What?  Why are you smiling?  The Zombie Apocalypse is real!"

• MercyA and texasmom33 like this

#24 ananemone

ananemone

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3209 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:03 AM

This is probably my best one but it is from a year ago: (names changed - Henry is 7, Elisabeth 4, John 2)

Henry: "John is eating all of his meat pie because he is the biggest carnival."

Elisabeth (thinking this has been an insult): "John is not a carnidal!"
Henry: "John is definitely a carnival.  Do you even know what a carnival is?"
Elisabeth: "John is not a carnidal!"
Henry: "You don't even know what a carnival is.  A carnival is someone who is a masterpiece at eating meat."
Elisabeth: "Henny, do you even know what a [indecipherable] cookie is?"
Henry: "There's no such thing."
Elisabeth: "It's someone who eats a lot of cookies."

• MercyA and texasmom33 like this

#25 scrapbookbuzz

scrapbookbuzz

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4888 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

When my now 18yo dd was about 4, we had her in a PreK program. This was way before we realized

she had Aspergers so, sadly, she got 'in trouble' fairly often. This one particular day when I was called to the school,

I was told she had not helped the class clean up from a particular project when everyone else had been helping.

When I asked her about it, she said, "Well, I tried to want to clean up. But I didn't want to clean up."

I can relate to that statement all too well!

• VaKim, Corraleno, TXBeth and 6 others like this

#26 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5432 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

When my now 18yo dd was about 4, we had her in a PreK program. This was way before we realized
she had Aspergers so, sadly, she got 'in trouble' fairly often. This one particular day when I was called to the school,
I was told she had not helped the class clean up from a particular project when everyone else had been helping.
When I asked her about it, she said, "Well, I tried to want to clean up. But I didn't want to clean up."

I can relate to that statement all too well!

Ha! That's the story of my life right there! :)
  • mom2scouts likes this

#27 mom2scouts

mom2scouts

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2624 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

I have a teen boy who never stops talking to me about his favorite subject. He follows me around the house and even stands outside the bathroom door talking and talking. :lol: