Menu

Facebook Question

Lakeside

Does anybody know why they constantly change the layout?  Admittedly I'm not overly FB savvy, but it seems like as soon as I figure out the current layout and how to use it something changes.  The most recent thing I've noticed is the layout (if that's the right term) in groups.  It used to show tabs near the top for discussion, photos, and something else...sales maybe?  Those tabs are gone! I eventually found that they have similar options listed over on the left, but I just don't understand why things are always being rearranged! 

I think it's to keep people interested and not wanting to move to a new platform. This way, you always feel like you've got a new toy to play with instead of the same old thing you're used to.

I don't like it either, but I think that's why they do it.

• Like 3

I think it's to keep people interested and not wanting to move to a new platform. This way, you always feel like you've got a new toy to play with instead of the same old thing you're used to.

I don't like it either, but I think that's why they do it.

That's interesting, thanks!  Obviously, I'm not who they are targeting with these type of changes since I put off updating the computer as long as I can because I don't want to deal with all the changes.  

I know that layout changed on the app but I think that has to do with phone updates? Like dh and I have the same iphone but I didn't update mine. His facebook comments look like speaking bubbles now. Mine don't. I don't like the layout on his phone.

I don't even use the app when I'm on the iPad. I like the transition between computer and tablet to be as easy as possible!

:leaving:

I don't even use the app when I'm on the iPad. I like the transition between computer and tablet to be as easy as possible!

:leaving:

I have the app but I seldom post with it anymore because it says "can we access your photos?" to post a photo whereas the site just has an attachment icon appear without asking that. Maybe I already did "allow" another time?

For text only posts the site doesn't let me see what I'm typing as I'm typing it, though. Very frustrating on a cell phone since I'm not that great at typing on those. I trust my fingers on a keyboard, though.

• Like 1

I don't use FB much but I think it's to make people look around the page and see new things instead of falling into a routine. Sort of like when grocery stores rearrange so you have to break your routine and see new items. They've probably seen an uptick in the use of different features, even older ones, after a rearrangement. Very annoying.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

I have the app but I seldom post with it anymore because it says "can we access your photos?" to post a photo whereas the site just has an attachment icon appear without asking that. Maybe I already did "allow" another time?

For text only posts the site doesn't let me see what I'm typing as I'm typing it, though. Very frustrating on a cell phone since I'm not that great at typing on those. I trust my fingers on a keyboard, though.

Yeah, I definitely do posting from a keyboard.  I'm always amazed at the lengthy posts, emails, or whatever that people make from phones.  

I like the new layout better.

What is it that you like better?

For me it isn't that I don't like the new layout, it really may be better.  I just don't know where anything is.  And they don't give any instructions like: You can now find XYZ at this new location!  ;)  So when a new change is rolled out, I kind of feel like I'm about to be reliving an experience where I was helping an older relative figure out FB.  Except now I'm the one who can't figure it out!