What's with the ads?

#151 QueenCat

QueenCat

Queen of the Palapa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9197 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

We Marylanders put our flag on everything. I have a magnet on my car in the shape of a crab with the flag on it, and i haven't lived in Maryland for 25 years.

I have that same magnet!!!!!!

• Caroline likes this

#152 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4255 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

I couldn't sleep and this story came on the middle of the night news.  I thought of the hive and this thread. 

http://www.cbsnews.c...-of-patriotism/

• KayT and mom2scouts like this

#153 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17778 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

I saw a pickup with big U.S. AND Confederate flags today--I can't remember ever seeing that before, we are a long way away from any former Confederate state. I couldn't see the license plate to know if it was local or not.

Some old dude with a white beard was driving.

#154 frogger

frogger

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Only in Texas . . .because the rules of the US flag also state that any other flag that is flown on the same pole needs to be below the US flag. I agree with a previous poster, it really annoys me when people obviously don't know or purposely don't follow flag etiquette. To some it may be "just a flag" but not to me and the rest of my fellow veterans!

I think the vast majority of people are totally ignorant of flag etiquette but I'm pretty sure if someone is flying a state flag above the Federal Flag it is probably meant to be a statement. 

#155 Homeschool Mom in AZ

Homeschool Mom in AZ

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4888 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

I saw another US flag on a pick up today in the suburbs.  The windows were too darkly tinted to see the age of the person driving. I didn't think to look at the plates.

#156 mom2scouts

mom2scouts

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2673 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

I was thinking about this thread today when I drove out of my neighborhood, so I counted all the flags I saw. I drove less than ONE MILE and I saw 15 American flags on houses (plus 2 Marine flags). There seemed to be quite a few American flags on houses on the rest of my trip in a variety of different areas. 

• creekland likes this

#157 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4255 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

I was thinking about this thread today when I drove out of my neighborhood, so I counted all the flags I saw. I drove less than ONE MILE and I saw 15 American flags on houses (plus 2 Marine flags). There seemed to be quite a few American flags on houses on the rest of my trip in a variety of different areas. 

It might be because Flag day is tomorrow. The president established this day in 1916 and then Congress established it in 1949, but it isn't a federal holiday  All of those temporary flags are going up around here for that holiday.  I may try to take a picture tomorrow. 

#158 mom2scouts

mom2scouts

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2673 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

It might be because Flag day is tomorrow. The president established this day in 1916 and then Congress established it in 1949, but it isn't a federal holiday  All of those temporary flags are going up around here for that holiday.  I may try to take a picture tomorrow. 

No, I don't think so. Most of them are flags that I see regularly flying. I just never counted them before!

• creekland likes this

#159 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22486 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

No, I don't think so. Most of them are flags that I see regularly flying. I just never counted them before!

I think many times we Americans (and Southern Ontario Canadians) are so used to seeing flags we don't think anything of it until someone calls our attention to it.  I've noticed a lot more - all over - since this thread started.  Not all are national flags, many are "Welcome" or otherwise seasonal flags for decoration.

#160 Violet Crown

Violet Crown

Onward Thru the Fog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4060 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

I saw a flag!

Ever since this thread was started, I've been watching out for flags in my area of Scotland. I haven't travelled far from home, but I haven't seen any (either UK or Scottish) outside any home or government building since then, even though we just endured another General Election. Here are some pictures of polling stations - no flags.

https://www.theguard...ons-in-pictures

Until today, when I saw a Union flag flying outside a Royal British Legion hall

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

By chance, I haven't recently driven past our nearest armed forces base, but I just checked Google Streetview, and there wasn't a flag flying the day the photo was taken.

British people are pretty patriotic. We just don't do flags much.

On the other hand, I was just in Skye and the Saltire was everywhere. :)
  • Laura Corin and Pam in CT like this

#161 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22486 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

It's Flag Day here today - not a huge holiday, but one I used to march in parades when in elementary school band.

One of our local papers put this quote in:

"We identify the flag with almost everything we hold dear on earth, peace, security, liberty, our family, our friends, our home... But when we look at our flag and behold it emblazoned with all our rights we must remember that it is equally a symbol of our duties.  Every glory that we associate with it is the result of duty done."

Calvin Coolidge (who was President from 1923 - 1929)

Our nation's love and respect for our flag is historical.  It's nothing new and nothing I want to see corrupted by politics.