Menu

Riggs & Dyslexia

Riggs is one of the O-G variations. Spalding is another. Neither are designed for reading LD intervention. It is a solid program so it could be fine for a bright dyslexic child (the same way AAR or LOE works for some) but the pace could very well be too fast.

• Like 1

It's basically Spaulding. It was an unmitigated disaster for my youngest.

Yikes :(  I appreciate your honesty!

Riggs is one of the O-G variations. Spalding is another. Neither are designed for reading LD intervention. It is a solid program so it could be fine for a bright dyslexic child (the same way AAR or LOE works for some) but the pace could very well be too fast.

Would I need to do something like Barton at home?

To be honest, I've only been using Abeka phonics with him at home. He was diagnosed at age 5 and I just wasn't ready to tackle Barton yet. He just turned seven and in this school year he has gone from not recognizing letters (after a year of work) or being able to rhyme to getting 100% on all of his phonics tests. His reading is still slow and laborious. He still confuses letters and pulls letters from other words when reading sentences. But he is reading. I guess I was hoping the school could take over phonics instruction and I could just drill and read with him at home. :) I'm feeling a little tired.

You know what worked for us? Waiting until she was 8.5 and starting Explode the Code from book three for remediation. She's a high-level reader but a horrible speller. She consistently leaves out sounds in blends, reverses letters in words and still has letter reversals. She tries to spell words as a unit rather than breaking them down. We've been working on this for over four years.

I put her in school and let them drill her with phonogram markings for five months and she was still getting half of them wrong on the quizzes (accompanied by tears and tantrums) when I pulled her out in February. We backed up to ETC book 3 and did a lesson a day together. It's finally beginning to click.

That was our experience. Ymmv.

• Like 1

Yes, his vision is fine. I was kind of hoping his reading issues were that or maturity (partly why I was reluctant to start Barton).But the older he gets the more certain I am that his dyslexia diagnosis was correct.

can he do Riggs at school and Barton at home? Or is it better to keep him home on Barton until he's reading better? Will there be a better time to transition him to school? I'm kind of over homeschooling this kid. He is novelty-seeking and gives me unending grief about not going to "real school". A school with Riggs has got to be better for him than memorizing sight words in ps, right?

Why don't you pay for a certified OG or Barton or Wilson tutor for a year, THEN put him in the classical school. Unless they offer intervention services, they're probably not equipped to handle SLDs. He's likely to become very overwhelmed, and the damage from that can be hard to undo. He's at a very tender age, forming his sense of self as a learner, and that would be putting him into an aggressive environment where they'd expect a lot of writing and things he's not ready to do!

So I would take the tuition money for the school, put it into a GOOD tutor, do that 3-4 days a week for a full calendar year, starting pronto, and then decide about school enrollment. You've already said you're not comfortable doing the intervention yourself and feel burnt out, so move on from that dead horse. The $6k or whatever the school would have cost can go into a stellar tutor. The rest you can do as homework and fun things at home.

• Like 4