Menu

What Happened to My American Flag?!

Ginevra

Definitely high on my list of most surprising things that have happened at my house. On Easter, I took my American flag out of the porch bracket because I didn't want it in my Easter pictures. DH did not set it back in the bracket because the bracket is loose. So he rolled it up and laid it on a chair on the porch. It sort of bothered me in the back of my mind because all those flag code rules still ring in my ears and I don't want the flag to be disrespectfully handled. But I forgot about it after church.

Driving home today, I was horrified when I saw the flag had fallen down the steps and was laying partially on the ground. So I sent DS over to pick up the flag. WELL. He starts to pick up the flag and we realize that the flag is half-buried down a varmint hole! Some critter wished to use the flag as bedding, presumably, and dragged the flag, pole and all, to the hole where he got half the flag material into the hole!

Astounding! My flag is trashed now. But somewhere, there is a very patriotic-looking nest. I wish I could see that. Maybe DH can get one of those sewer pipe cameras and feed it down there...

• Like 36

Welp. That's it. You're outta the country, Quill. We Americans don't tolerate not folding up your flag all proper like!

I'm so ashamed. Republican upbringing.

• Like 9

Our home "came" with an American flag on a flag pole out front.  We're certainly happy to live in America, so didn't have a problem flying it.  But one day, severe winds came and actually broke the metal pole in half and took the flag away!  I never found it.

• Like 2

Sorry about the flag. What are you going to do about the critter? I've heard groundhogs can dig under foundations, causing lots of problems.

I have no idea! It might be a groundhog, as we have many of them in other areas and that is the only thing I can think of strong enough to make off with the flag and also burrowing.

I had zero problems with invasive critters while our German Shepherd was still alive. That is one thing I love about having a dog.

• Like 2

This is the funniest thing I've read all week :lol:

Well you might begin to think I must be trolling, but believe it or not, I already had an encounter with an unwanted visitor today. There is a 3' black snake hanging out in my basement beneath the air handler. So I discovered that this morning. Edited by Quill
  • Like 4

Well you might begin to think I must be trolling, but believe it or not, I already had an encounter with an unwanted visitor today. There is a 3' black snake hanging out in my basement beneath the air handler. So I discovered that this morning.

You're a troll for sure!

Any idea what kind of snake it is? I've only ever seen little garter snakes around here, usually I see them when the cats drag them in... one got away from the cat and slithered into my violin case once.

• Like 1

You're a troll for sure!

Any idea what kind of snake it is? I've only ever seen little garter snakes around here, usually I see them when the cats drag them in... one got away from the cat and slithered into my violin case once.

I'm pretty certain it is a Black Rat Snake. I tried to upload a picture but that just simply never works for me. I want input from dmmetler (the poster). I almost grabbed it today; I could have. He was moving slowly and my hand was right above his head, but I have to admit to a small corner of fear. He might manage to bite me and I'm not a fan of snakebites.

• Like 1

Same here. :smilielol5:

ETA: Quill, I think you are safely on the list of Top Ten Least Likely People to Be a Troll here.

Either that, or she has been posting here for years, acting all innocent... luring us in... waiting for her big chance... and then BAM! Patriotic flag-stealing varmints and a snake in the basement.

It was only a matter of time.

In retrospect, maybe we should have seen it coming. :D

• Like 13

Can you put an egg near the snake? If it eats the egg you can grab it when it has it in its mouth without it being able to bite you. Or you can suit up in a coat, jeans, and gloves and pick it up. Sorry about the critters!

That's a good idea (the gloves). I was thinking about using my salad tongs to grab his neck.

My poor MIL. She had me stuff a towel in the door crack because she's afraid it will climb up the stairs and come in her room.

• Like 2

I'm pretty certain it is a Black Rat Snake. I tried to upload a picture but that just simply never works for me. I want input from dmmetler (the poster). I almost grabbed it today; I could have. He was moving slowly and my hand was right above his head, but I have to admit to a small corner of fear. He might manage to bite me and I'm not a fan of snakebites.

If you are on twitter, tweet @AlongsideWild. That's the account for David Steen at Auburn, and he and his grad students are really good at Snake ID, and generally have a really fast turnaround (like in minutes). If you give them a location as well as a photo, that helps a lot.

I'm sure there are cases of venomous snakes going in houses, but usually they're rat snakes or other small rodent eaters. Have you had a lot of rain or a late cold snap, so the snake would have wanted shelter? If not, I'd be very concerned about the possibility that you might have rodents that attracted the snake.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 4

It takes some training and practice to use tongs on a Snake without hurting the Snake (that's how you move venomous snakes). Hooks are a little easier, but you're unlikely to have one around that is sturdy enough (DD used to make them from wire hangers to use on toy snakes, but a real snake would be too heavy.)

• Like 1

If you are on twitter, tweet @AlongsideWild. That's the account for David Steen at Auburn, and he and his grad students are really good at Snake ID, and generally have a really fast turnaround (like in minutes). If you give them a location as well as a photo, that helps a lot.

I'm sure there are cases of venomous snakes going in houses, but usually they're rat snakes or other small rodent eaters. Have you had a lot of rain or a late cold snap, so the snake would have wanted shelter? If not, I'd be very concerned about the possibility that you might have rodents that attracted the snake.

I'm not on twitter; that would have been cool. DS12 caught the snake this morning and we relocated him. I would bet money it's a rat snake; there is no better description of behavior.

We did have a late cold snap and I think he took up residence within the past couple months.

• Like 2

Couldn't you maybe introduce the snake to the flag stealing rodent and take Cate if both issues?

What's next, "Quill", hornets in the bathroom vent? A huge family of squirrels with cute, improbable names in the attic?

LOL

We did have bats in the attic space above DS' bedroom several years back. DH put an extension ladder ON the bucket of his backhoe, in order to lift up high enough to evacuate the bats.

I did not name them, though. ;)

• Like 2

Well, if that isn't symbolic, I don't know what is.

Word.

It is a ground hog, btw. A fat, ugly-assed rodent making a nest under my porcu steps out of the American flag. That really does sound a bit metaphoric.

• Like 2

We did have bats in the attic space above DS' bedroom several years back. DH put an extension ladder ON the bucket of his backhoe, in order to lift up high enough to evacuate the bats.

I did not name them, though. ;)

Ooh, bats are scary because they can have rabies. They can bite you while you sleep and you wouldn't even know it. I'm glad you are all ok.
  • Like 1

Word.

It is a ground hog, btw. A fat, ugly-assed rodent making a nest under my porcu steps out of the American flag. That really does sound a bit metaphoric.

Is it time to get another dog?

We didn't realize how much our grey cat contributed to our home until after he died. We had a terrible mouse problem in our basement the winter after he passed away. :(

• Like 1

Is it time to get another dog?

We didn't realize how much our grey cat contributed to our home until after he died. We had a terrible mouse problem in our basement the winter after he passed away. :(

I would like to get another dog, but this is not the right time. Between nurturing my terminally ill cat and assisting my 90yo MIL who is living with us at present, I don't want to add in anything else with special needs. :) I feel spread a little thin at the moment.

• Like 1