Menu

Favorite cell phone?

Janeway

I have iphone and am very comfy with this. Well, I HAD iphone. I have no phone now. I am not purchasing right now. I have a Macbook for my computer. My husband's cell phone is going out too. I can go with no phone, but he needs one because he had that number on his resume. 

If you already had an iphone and switched to android, were you happy? Or vice versa. And just which do you prefer overall otherwise?

• Like 1

I prefer IPhone but I am not paying $700 for a phone so if this one goes out I will be going to something cheaper....my dss just got a less than $200 phone and with a rebate it was about $100.  Ds17 paid $700 for his Galaxy 7.  He loves it.  He also had Galaxy 5 before that. 

No experience with an iPhone, but I would go with either a Motorola or a Lenovo (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility). Motorola phones have a rather pure version of Android. In our house there are 3 Motorola phones, purchased starting at the end of January 2016 and one Lenovo, purchased during July 2016. All work without any issues. Our neighbor the Electronic Engineer who has worked for a Cell provider for 20 years told me last year that of the last 5 phones he'd gotten, 3 were Motorola and 2 were Samsung.

Samsung phones are very good (I use one), but they do a lot of stuff to the Android OS and are harder to use.

He told me (January 2016) those brands connect to their towers the best.

With any of these brands (Motorola, Lenovo, Samsung) there is a lot of "bang for the buck".

I'd look at UNLOCKED and UNBRANDED phones with a one year manufacturers warranty. That's what we buy in a superstore here. Phones that left the factory UNLOCKED AND UNBRANDED.

I think coming from an iPhone, in this order: Motorola, Lenovo, Samsung.

(My wife bought a Lenovo for my Stepson last July. He says it is exactly like her Motorola phone, but it was a little less expensive).

• Like 1

Follow on: I would look for a phone with a recent version of Android. At least 6.x and possibly 7.x   Here I see they are still selling a lot of phones with Android 4.4 which is what my 2014 Samsung has and they are not giving them away.  If my Samsung were to die today, I'd go for a low end Lenovo with Android 6.x on it and 4G capability.   Oh,   that is another thing I would want if I was buying a new phone, although we don't do anything that would make  paying extra for 4G from our provider worth the extra money. If you are not downloading movies or huge files, 3.5 G will be plenty fast. But, still, I would like to see 4G or LTE included, on any recent model phone..

• Like 1

I love my Galaxy S7, but Galaxy is the only Android phone I'm familiar with. My first smart phone was an iPhone and I stayed with Apple for several versions. When I switched to Android I got a Galaxy and even when I upgraded I stayed with Galaxy. I love Android and doubt I'll ever go back to an iPhone but I can't compare brands. I keep thinking I should try another brand but I do love all the Galaxy phones I've tried (I didn't have any of the combustible ones fortunately). The grass might not look greener on another screen. :) Dss has been happy with both LG and HTC. He liked the HTC best overall but loved the camera on his LG. His sil has a Google phone and loves it but she's very much tied to the Google ecosystem so it's perfect for her. 

When you leave Apple there are so many choices that it's a good idea to do some web searches for the features you want, and then find reviews on the phones that have those features.

The kids had cheapie Android phones for Tracfone that I hated with the fire of a thousand suns. Hated. Passionately.

When our payment plans were up for our iPhones I unlocked the old ones and got new SIM cards for them from Tracfone. Now there are no Androids and life is good. I would have to fall, hit my head, get amnesia, and abandon my iPad and Mac before I'd get a non-iPhone phone.

YMMV and all that.

Follow on: I would look for a phone with a recent version of Android. At least 6.x and possibly 7.x.

My husband's employer's IT system only allows Google Pixel or the latest android phone due to security issues. He ends up switching from an old BLU phone that cannot be used for company emails to an iPhone 7 as he doesn't want a Google Pixel and he doesn't want to buy an android phone and be stuck next year due to no OS updates.

My kids are using the old BLU phones and happy but my kids have nothing on the phone for us to worry about potential security bleach.

• Like 1

My husband's employer's IT system only allows Google Pixel or the latest android phone due to security issues. He ends up switching from an old BLU phone that cannot be used for company emails to an iPhone 7 as he doesn't want a Google Pixel and he doesn't want to buy an android phone and be stuck next year due to no OS updates.

My kids are using the old BLU phones and happy but my kids have nothing on the phone for us to worry about potential security bleach.

Years ago, many people used BlackBerry phones. They had Messaging Software that people used to exchange Messages, via Blackberry servers.  I just Googled and saw a link that said Android powered. https://global.blackberry.com/en/smartphones  At the top it shows "Secure Smartphones" and then "Android + Blackberry". Of the 6 phones on that web page, 4 of them are running Android OS and 2 are running Blackberry 10 OS.

Your DH and his group at work could use an Encrypted App like WhatsApp for their voice and text messages.

It would take a Hardened Android, with Encrypted Apps, to do what they want to do, to be more secure.

I used to have a Samsung S4 and liked it a lot.  I decided to switch to an iPhone because I needed to know how it works so I can monitor my preteen daughter and help my mom.  I would say that Iphone is a little easier, but the I loved how you can customize the Samsung.  

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy, a week or two ago. That allows one to do a lot of things, and use a lot of Apps, that are not available on phones that do not have Root access.

I believe Samsungs are harder to use than a Motorola phone (we have 3 of those and a Lenovo (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility)) because Samsung makes a lot of changes to the Menus of Android and adds stuff to Android. A Motorola Android phone is much closer to "pure Android" than a Samsung Android phone is.

My guess is that an iPhone might be slightly easier to use than a Motorola Android, but I have no experience with iPhones, so I am assuming, which I try not to do.

• Like 1