Menu

Grammar Workbook

My 6th grader's Iowa scores just came in and he scored well below average in punctuation and capitalization (and spelling, but that's a different issue). Those should be easy things to fix right? What's a quick and easy workbook that I can use to focus on those issues over the summer? He's already using MCT grammar (currently Practice Town), so he's got a good handle on parts of speech. But he didn't absorb capitals and punctuation through osmosis, like my other kids. 

Edited by TKDmom
  • Like 1

Junior analytical grammar has a punctuation secion, but I gather they are included in the regular analytical grammar course, so you could go either way.

Cozy Grammer punctuation.

Zaner bloser GUM series.

We use Daily Grammar with MCT--it's not a quick review, but it's simple, straightforward, and inexpensive. They do a short page every day that includes capitalization, punctuation, some kind of parts of speech work, sentence combining, etc. The rules and concepts are introduced incrementally and used cumulatively. It's the only thing that has made mechanics stick with my older child. My younger one generalizes these skills more easily, but he likes the Daily Grammar too. 

Another possible option if your kids aren't good at memorizing picky rules, but they are good at using reference materials is to get them a grammar handbook (used for reference, not teaching so much), or a style guide and have them use it with their own writing or with a book of exercises. They kind of need to know that they are supposed to use a rule and then know how to look it up. If it doesn't occur to them that they might need quotations marks or something like that, then using a reference won't work so well. 

I would purchase just the daily grams that go with Daily Grammar- level 5 maybe?   They give a quick review of capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and my favorite part is the sentence combining at the end. They take max 5-10 min per day.  Correct them with your child so that he can see his mistakes and orally explain them. I love the way it builds and keeps skills up.  

Seconding Evan-Moor. I think the Paragraph Editing and the Daily Language Review series are good for this. Since the things you identify as the problem are mechanics, grammar may or may not help, IMHO. There's obviously a deep relationship there... but knowing the types of sentences, parts of speech, etc. doesn't necessarily help you remember to capitalize words that need it.