Menu

CLE 6 --> BJU Pre-Algebra?

My son is finishing up CLE 6 Math and has done fairly well with it. However, we're wanting a one year pre-alg course and CLE has pre-algebra in both grades 7 and 8 (although accelerating through the two is an option, I'd rather go with a one-year course.) I also like the idea of having the videos available if he needs them as well as the focus on mastery with a decent amount of review. 

Could he go directly from CLE 6 to BJU's pre-algebra? It's so hard to tell from the samples. BJU's course is targeted to 8th grade and there is no placement test. The 7th grade course is a comprehensive review of arithmetic. 

• Like 1

My younger son went from CLE 6 to Lial's Pre-Algebra in 7th grade with no problems whatsoever. 

(My older son used BJU for pre-algebra. It is similar enough to Lial's that I think your son will be just fine switching to BJU. In fact, if you aren't planning to stick with CLE through Algebra I, then now is a good time to jump to another curriculum). 

• Like 2

Many students go from CLE 7 to Algebra 1. I feel CLE 8th is intended for students who might need more time before Algebra 1. My son is in Algebra 1 now following CLE 7 and is doing well.   If CLE is working well, I wouldn't leave it behind. 

Do you intend to use BJU for Algebra 1 and beyond? Is that why you are considering their pre-algebra course? 

Edited by mom31257

Do you intend to use BJU for Algebra 1 and beyond? Is that why you are considering their pre-algebra course? 

I'm considering BJU because I'm wondering if my son would benefit from more of a mastery approach rather than CLE's spiral. There are certain concepts he has a hard time solidifying because he's not get enough initial instruction with CLE to achieve true mastery. I like that BJU includes review as well. I also understand that BJU is a blend of procedural vs. conceptual and that appeals to me as well. I do like that BJU goes into high school math and if it goes well, we wouldn't have to switch again.

I've also considered AOPS but I'm not sure it's the right fit. He's bright but not a genius, and he hated Beast. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 1

I'm considering BJU because I'm wondering if my son would benefit from more of a mastery approach rather than CLE's spiral. There are certain concepts he has a hard time solidifying because he's not get enough initial instruction with CLE to achieve true mastery. I like that BJU includes review as well. I also understand that BJU is a blend of procedural vs. conceptual and that appeals to me as well. I do like that BJU goes into high school math and if it goes well, we wouldn't have to switch again.

I've also considered AOPS but I'm not sure it's the right fit. He's bright but not a genius, and he hated Beast. 

Will you teach it yourself or use distance learning videos? Are you a strong math person?  I haven't looked closely at the newer editions of BJU's high school math; however, I know just a few years ago they were not user friendly for homeschoolers who weren't strong in math. They were written for math teachers to use in a daily classroom.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am actually excited to see to see a mention of BJU math for those using CLE.  My daughter completed CLE through LU 605, and then we switched to Saxon Algebra 1/2.  Despite being extremely proficient in math, Saxon was a disaster.  I wish that I cut our losses as I actually think that my daughter's math skills regressed while using Saxon.  She then went into BJU Algebra the following year and did fantastic.  I love the layout of the BJU Algebra text, and the explanations were clear and concise.  I plan to use BJU Algebra with my other two kids.

As for your original question, I am pondering this exact same thing myself for next year.  My son just finished LU 605, and I am contemplating moving him to BJU Pre-algebra next year.  I don't want to move on from CLE before we need to, but I do not like that pre-algebra is stretched over two years.  I am leaning toward BJU.  For us, BJU fit very well with CLE.

Edited by kagmypts
  • Like 1