Menu

Consumer math recommendations

Hi,  I am beginning to research various consumer math for my student's senior year. I like the idea of Dave Ramsey's Personal Finance course, but from what I have learned - it has little math.

Can anyone recommend a consumer math that is practical, useful, and understandable?  Right now, I am looking at this one from BJ Press. This student will have already finished Alg 2 by the time she takes this course.

https://www.bjupress.com/product/189308

What do you like?

I really, really liked BJU consumer math but with a couple caveats:

- they used a lot of formulas such as interest etc and had continuous review of them throughout the book (which was great) but the formulas were never listed in one location and are definitely complicated enough that you would never memorize them all. After getting into the book for a little while we started writing them on a separate sheet and that really helped.

- Some of the lessons had a ridiculous amount of problems.  15 problems of the same easy step over and over or towards the end having to do 10 different tax returns in one lesson.  You just need to be comfortable saying 3 of those or 2 of those.

Loved the overall topics and presentation, the review of lots of basic math, and layout (except for the lack of one spot the formulas are listed).

We did the Dave Ramsey (personal finance wisdom) at the same time and plan on doing economics (the laws of economics and the whole government policy) and accounting (business end of things) next year.  They all cover different things but for a child who is interested in entrepreneurship I think the combo is important and not too repetitive.

Diamond went through regular Financial Peace University with us, twice. SweetChild is currently working through Foundations in Personal Finance. I am not really looking at either as a math course. I'd rather they learn how to manage money, understand it thoroughly, and remember and apply it throughout their life. How much actual calculation involved was never even a thing I considered.

Both girls really enjoy Dave Ramsey, and both are fine-arts oriented.

The one thing that I would add to any "getting ready for life" math class is a very, VERY basic review of "statistics in everyday life". I think it's an important part of civic and financial literacy to help people make wise decisions. Reading through a book such as "How to lie with statistics" would easily suffice and the book is extremely cheap (less than $10 on amazon). 

• Like 1