Menu

X-Post-Best books about educating the older grades

I'd really just like some inspiration. My daughter will begin 8th grade this year with a few 9th grade classes. I haven't read Teaching from Rest because I heard that is was mainly geared toward families with younger kids. It doesn't have to be only for older kids, just not focusing on dealing with young kids, multiple kids or ages, etc.

Edited by sdobis
  • Like 2

Giving you a bump because I'd like to hear as well. Though honestly, I don't think there is much out there! I'm about to reread (OK, restart :blush:) How to Read Literature Like a Professor, which I found inspiring for teaching literature, because I love to read but really have no ability to look very deeply into it. And maybe something like Guerrilla Learning or The Well-Educated Mind? Or Colleges That Change Lives? 

That's all I've got. I guess we're all supposed to be sufficiently inspired by now, but all I am is mostly tired and confused :lol: 

• Like 8

Here is a list that I have read and except when noted otherwise, have found in some way inspiring for my teaching.  I didn't always make notes, but if I didn't like it I always put a note. This is copied from my spreadsheet. My kids range from grade school to graduated.  I don't think that any of these just inspired me about the younger ones. 

The Teach Like a Champion book has a CD with short video clips of teachers in the classroom. I was inspired by it and got ideas even though all of it was for classroom teachers. 

There are 3 videos online that will give you a great feel for Teaching From Rest. I went ahead and read the book as well, but the videos give a lot of the ideas. I found it inspiring and thought I might even read it yearly.   http://amongstlovelythings.com/tfr-online-book-club/

Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire   Winter 2011, inspiring            

The Elements of Teaching Banner 5/25/2011 boring, skimmed it              

I Read it But I don't Get it Cris Tovani      

Do I Really Have to teach Reading Cris Tovani      

So What Do the Really Know Cris Tovani                  

I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I ever Had Danza 10/6/2012 good,                 

The Essential 55          

Simply Classical          

What Smart Students Know Robinson   really liked this one,   

Text Complexity Fisher   not very helpful              

Make it Stick   2014 great!                

With Rigor for all     classical, good    

So Good They Can't Ignore You Newport   gave me ideas about talking to kids about how to choose life work

I'm the Teacher, You're the Student Allitt        

DVD series by Teaching Company on teaching by same author      

Teaching From Rest          

Marva Collins Way          

Teach Like a Champion I read both editions.      

The Art of Teaching Highet        

Edited by matermultorum
  • Like 3

Here is a list that I have read and except when noted otherwise, have found in some way inspiring for my teaching. I didn't always make notes, but if I didn't like it I always put a note. This is copied from my spreadsheet. My kids range from grade school to graduated. I don't think that any of these just inspired me about the younger ones.

The Teach Like a Champion book has a CD with short video clips of teachers in the classroom. I was inspired by it and got ideas even though all of it was for classroom teachers.

There are 3 videos online that will give you a great feel for Teaching From Rest. I went ahead and read the book as well, but the videos give a lot of the ideas. I found it inspiring and thought I might even read it yearly. http://amongstlovelythings.com/tfr-online-book-club/

Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire Winter 2011, inspiring

The Elements of Teaching Banner 5/25/2011 boring, skimmed it

I Read it But I don't Get it Cris Tovani

Do I Really Have to teach Reading Cris Tovani

So What Do the Really Know Cris Tovani

I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I ever Had Danza 10/6/2012 good,

The Essential 55

Simply Classical

What Smart Students Know Robinson really liked this one,

Text Complexity Fisher not very helpful

Make it Stick 2014 great!

With Rigor for all classical, good

So Good They Can't Ignore You Newport gave me ideas about talking to kids about how to choose life work

I'm the Teacher, You're the Student Allitt

DVD series by Teaching Company on teaching by same author

Teaching From Rest

Marva Collins Way

Teach Like a Champion I read both editions.

The Art of Teaching Highet

That's an awesome list. It gives me a lot to check out. Thanks.

• Like 1

These are my favorite books about teaching:

Made to Stick - Heath brothers

Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter Brown

Brain Rules, John Medina

Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better by Doug Lemov

What to do when it's your turn (and it's always your turn) Seth Godin

The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. - Daniel Coyle

Badass: Making Users Awesome by Kathy Sierra (about game development but completely about how to empower learners)

Peak: Secrets from the new Science of Expertise by Anders Ericsson

Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons From the Science of Learning by James Lang

Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions (more about creating good materials but sooo applicable to teaching!)

• Like 2

These are my favorite books about teaching:

Made to Stick - Heath brothers

Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning by Peter Brown

Brain Rules, John Medina

Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better by Doug Lemov

What to do when it's your turn (and it's always your turn) Seth Godin

The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. - Daniel Coyle

Badass: Making Users Awesome by Kathy Sierra (about game development but completely about how to empower learners)

Peak: Secrets from the new Science of Expertise by Anders Ericsson

Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons From the Science of Learning by James Lang

Impossible to Ignore: Creating Memorable Content to Influence Decisions (more about creating good materials but sooo applicable to teaching!)

Showelott, We've been doing some of the same reading!  I've also read Made to Stick and Peak. I'm excited to see some titles on your list that I haven't heard of.  Doug Lemov is the author of the Teach Like a Champion and I didn't know about the book on your list by him.  Have you read Reading Reconsidered by Lemov?  I want to read it because I like what he said about reading in the 1st edition of Teach Like a Champion. 

• Like 1

Showelott, Have you read Deep Work by Newport?  If so how does it compare to Practice Perfect? 

Yes - I loved them both but they are totally different. Cal's Deep Work is about making space in your life for uninterrupted thinking and work. And Practice Perfect gives you specific strategies, skills and tactics to improve your performance - break down barriers to practice, normalize errors, call your shots, apply first and then reflect..

• Like 3

Showelott, We've been doing some of the same reading!  I've also read Made to Stick and Peak. I'm excited to see some titles on your list that I haven't heard of.  Doug Lemov is the author of the Teach Like a Champion and I didn't know about the book on your list by him.  Have you read Reading Reconsidered by Lemov?  I want to read it because I like what he said about reading in the 1st edition of Teach Like a Champion. 

:-) love Lemov - I hadn't seen his new book - thanks for the heads up - I'll check it out (I've got a reluctant reader at home and I've been pulling my hair out trying to overcome it!)

• Like 2

Thank you ladies for the book suggestions.  I think I have a lot of reading to do in the summer.  I have to teach chemistry next year at a co-op so I need all the teaching help I can get.  I was never good at being a T.A. in grad school for classes, only for labs.

• Like 1