Menu

On a road trip! Bryn Mawr and Mt Holyoke, among others

lisabees

Sandwiched in between Carnegie Mellon and Columbia admitted students weekends, I am on a road trip with DSD.  We started with more local schools - Bryn Mawr and Goucher.  Then we moved to Mt Holyoke and Clark.  We are now at U of Rochester and will continue on with Oberlin (to say hi to DS), College of Wooster, Denison, and possibly Earlham, Kalamazoo and Allegheny (not sure which ones to choose).

This isn't a trip report; rather, it is a place for me to say...

Have you seen Bryn Mawr College?  Oh my.  It is dreamy and magical (and improbable for DSD).  The campus is stunning.  The environment seems welcoming and engaging.  Maybe it's because I've never checked out a woman's college before.  It blew us away.

Now - if only I could find an environment like that for her whose students have lower scores.  Sigh.  She is intellectual and passionate (and hipster-like), but execution is just not there yet.  

Back to Bryn Mawr (and Mt. Holyoke).  For the right girl, these places seem wonderful!

• Like 5

Sandwiched in between Carnegie Mellon and Columbia admitted students weekends, I am on a road trip with DSD. We started with more local schools - Bryn Mawr and Goucher. Then we moved to Mt Holyoke and Clark. We are now at U of Rochester and will continue on with Oberlin (to say hi to DS), College of Wooster, Denison, and possibly Earlham, Kalamazoo and Allegheny (not sure which ones to choose).

This isn't a trip report; rather, it is a place for me to say...

Have you seen Bryn Mawr College? Oh my. It is dreamy and magical (and improbable for DSD). The campus is stunning. The environment seems welcoming and engaging. Maybe it's because I've never checked out a woman's college before. It blew us away.

Now - if only I could find an environment like that for her whose students have lower scores. Sigh. She is intellectual and passionate (and hipster-like), but execution is just not there yet.

Back to Bryn Mawr (and Mt. Holyoke). For the right girl, these places seem wonderful!

Bard?
  • Like 2

Enjoy your trip! It was a year ago that I was on the big college road trip with my second daughter.Georgia to Kentucky to Arkansas to Pennsylvania to New Hampshire to New Jersey! I loved it!

My oldest came very close to attending Bryn Mawr, but my husband did that visit trip with her so I haven't seen the campus. She made the decision for UWashington ultimately (just a couple days before May 1.)

• Like 1

Enjoy your trip! It was a year ago that I was on the big college road trip with my second daughter.Georgia to Kentucky to Arkansas to Pennsylvania to New Hampshire to New Jersey! I loved it!

My oldest came very close to attending Bryn Mawr, but my husband did that visit trip with her so I haven't seen the campus. She made the decision for UWashington ultimately (just a couple days before May 1.)

Yes - these road trips are a wonderful experience in so many ways!

I am sorry you missed out on Bryn Mawr.  Special place.

Have you seen Bryn Mawr College? Oh my. It is dreamy and magical (and improbable for DSD). The campus is stunning. The environment seems welcoming and engaging. Maybe it's because I've never checked out a woman's college before. It blew us away.

Now - if only I could find an environment like that for her whose students have lower scores. Sigh. She is intellectual and passionate (and hipster-like), but execution is just not there yet.

Have you looked at Agnes Scott? Also an idyllic campus (in Decatur, GA) but much easier to get into than BMC. Not sure if it has the same passionate, intellectual vibe as BMC and I suspect it is more traditional than hipster but I don't know. I have a friend who teaches there that I could ask if you are interested.

• Like 1

The campus at Bryn Mawr has a Hogwarts vibe; it truly is impressive.

The admission rate is 39 or 40%, so it is not as selective as some other colleges with recognizable names.  Perhaps your daughter's chances are better than you think, Lisabees.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

The campus at Bryn Mawr has a Hogwarts vibe; it truly is impressive.

The admission rate is 39 or 40%, so it is not as selective as some other colleges with recognizable names.  Perhaps your daughter's chances are better than you think, Lisabees.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you, Kareni - Mt Holyoke has an even higher acceptance rate and more merit opportunity.  Still a shot in the dark, but DD has been inspired to work, work, work to get into that school.  

And you know what Mt. Holyoke has that the others don't?  AMAZING dance studios.

I vacillate between telling her that she can't do it (of course I don't) and telling her that she should try.  She has found a purpose in the last week - something she has needed since she stopped dancing full time.  I think that she has a chance of getting in if scores improve.  She is an amazing writer; her essay will be awesome.  They may find her dance story a good fit.  But, will the money be there?  Likely not.

I also think she would do much better on the ACT, but I am not sure if that thinking holds true with the new SAT.

• Like 1

<snip>

And you know what Mt. Holyoke has that the others don't?  AMAZING dance studios.

<snip>

May I contribute to the list of what MHC has (in no particular order):

1. At least three alums on WTM

2. Upper Lake

3. Lower Lake

4. Mountain Day

5. A wonderful library

6. Profs who care and encourage

7. The 5 college consortium

8. A table in the library with my initials (shhh, don't tell MHC)

9. a kick butt psych dept.

Drats, now I want to go back for a visit. My reunion is coming up...

Does MHC still have the horse stable?

Edited by Scoutermom
  • Like 2

May I contribute to the list of what MHC has (in no particular order):

1. At least three alums on WTM

2. Upper Lake

3. Lower Lake

4. Mountain Day

5. A wonderful library

6. Profs who care and encourage

7. The 5 college consortium

8. A table in the library with my initials (shhh, don't tell MHC)

9. a kick butt psych dept.

Drats, now I want to go back for a visit. My reunion is coming up...

Does MHC still have the horse stable?

My 14 year old looks at the MHC equestrian program "brochure" every night.  She would also LOVE to go a women's college - with stables.  She has informed me that she must go to a school that has horses.

• Like 1

What about Sweetbriar in VA. I have no idea of costs having all sons. The school seems charming and loving. It has stables.

Earlham has stables and gives merit.

https://www.earlham.edu/equestrian/

Never heard of Sweetbriar. I'll have to check it out.

Visited Earlham last week, but didn't go to stables.  We were ready to head home, after 9 schools, 8 states in 6 days!

Edited by lisabees

We saw Sweet Briar at a college fair last fall. It is very small, less than 400 students. Check out their financial standings as I believe that they almost closed a couple years ago but the alumni rallied and kept them open.

Yikes.  Not good.

Thanks for letting me know!

We saw Sweet Briar at a college fair last fall. It is very small, less than 400 students. Check out their financial standings as I believe that they almost closed a couple years ago but the alumni rallied and kept them open.

Yikes.  Not good.

I think there is a board member with recent SB experience.  I would not get scared off by the declaration that the school was to close a few years ago.  There was a lot of odd dealings around the announcement, including the fact that the school was not in debt, had a strong endowment (around $80 million IIRC), and had not done any capital campaign among alumna or families of students.  There was some speculation that members of the board had personal interests in what might have happened if the school properties were liquidated.  I know the state attorney general was investigating members of the board.  

A former president replaced the president who had made the announcement.  I think at this point, SB may be in an even better position than it was before, if only because it garnered so much publicity for the school.  

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially if a student is looking for a larger school.  It is quite small.  But I wouldn't reject it out of fear.

Yikes.  Not good.

I think there is a board member with recent SB experience.  I would not get scared off by the declaration that the school was to close a few years ago.  There was a lot of odd dealings around the announcement, including the fact that the school was not in debt, had a strong endowment (around $80 million IIRC), and had not done any capital campaign among alumna or families of students.  There was some speculation that members of the board had personal interests in what might have happened if the school properties were liquidated.  I know the state attorney general was investigating members of the board.  

A former president replaced the president who had made the announcement.  I think at this point, SB may be in an even better position than it was before, if only because it garnered so much publicity for the school.  

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, especially if a student is looking for a larger school.  It is quite small.  But I wouldn't reject it out of fear.

And that board member would be me.

I would not fear looking at Sweet Briar due to their near closure.

The short story is that the previous board and administration were (IMHO) negligent and incompetent in their management of the school.  The long story is often supposed to contain incidents of corruption and underhanded practices.

Over the course of a few months after the closure announcement alumnae and some faculty banded together and launched a sucessful financial and legal battle to save the school.  There is now a new board, new president, and new (and returning) faculty/administrators. You will never meet a more organized, determined, or loyal group of alums.

Life at Sweet Briar goes on almost as if nothing had ever happened.  The largest indicator still remaining on campus is the size of the class of 2019.  They are a small but vibrant group who's size was greatly impacted by the closure announcement.

Departments are staffed, services and clubs up and running, the school has recently introduced new sports teams to their roster and is about to launch a major in computer science.  They are one of only two women's colleges with an accredited engineering program.

They have also recently hired a new president for next year.  (The current president only intended his term to be as an interim president while the school was regaining its footing.

Sweet Briar is horse mad!  They have a very active riding team and lessons for students.  The facilities and trails are beautiful. You do have the option to board a horse if you own one, if not the school has horses too.  

If you are interested in a small women's college with lots of personal attention/engagement with faculty, and a solid riding program, I would take a look at Sweet Briar.

That said, there are many schools in Central and Southern Virginia that have active riding programs.

• Like 2