Menu

Spelling for a 7th grader?

My oldest son is becoming quite a good writer but really struggles with spelling. We have and enjoy All About Spelling. This year (currently 11 and in 6th grade), we worked through AAS 4 and began AAS 5. It was going well except that this past semester we just weren't finding the time to do it consistently. I like the way it breaks spelling down into rules that you can remember but if we aren't doing it, it doesn't do much good. Is there a similar program that moves more quickly through the material possibly even something he can do by himself?

Thanks!

I think you did pretty well to get through more than one level in a year. Can you identify why you tended to not get to it when that happened? Maybe there's a way to tweak it. You're so close to the end when it gets to the really meaty words and Latin and Greek roots (the fun stuff!)

One thing I did in the upper levels to make it a bit more independent: I focused on getting lessons in Monday-Wednesday. At the end of Wednesday's lesson, I gave my kids the words for that lesson's Writing Station. They did the Writing Station on Thursday and then on Friday they did a worksheet or two from All About Homophones. That seemed to help me if I was running out of steam towards the end of the week! Anyway, hope you find something to work for you!

I think you did pretty well to get through more than one level in a year. Can you identify why you tended to not get to it when that happened? Maybe there's a way to tweak it. You're so close to the end when it gets to the really meaty words and Latin and Greek roots (the fun stuff!)

One thing I did in the upper levels to make it a bit more independent: I focused on getting lessons in Monday-Wednesday. At the end of Wednesday's lesson, I gave my kids the words for that lesson's Writing Station. They did the Writing Station on Thursday and then on Friday they did a worksheet or two from All About Homophones. That seemed to help me if I was running out of steam towards the end of the week! Anyway, hope you find something to work for you!

Really what happened was only that they have online classes and I've been busier with school for the younger ones. Just having trouble sitting down with all three of us at the spelling board at the same time. (His 5th grade brother does it along with us.) Maybe we will just have to try and buckle down and do it next year...