What's with the ads?

Photo

Spanish 2 (high school) - what grammar is typically covered?

spanish spanish 2 high school spanish

5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Chrysalis Academy

Chrysalis Academy

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10142 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

It seems from my research that high school Spanish 1 typically covers verb tenses through the past tense - in some courses, just the preterit, and in others, both the preterite and imperfect.

I'm wondering what grammar/verb tenses are typically covered in high school Spanish 2? Is there a typical, canonical amount of material that is accepted as Spanish 2?

TIA

• SusanC likes this

#2 mom31257

mom31257

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9763 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

I've mostly looked through the scope and sequence of BJU, A Beka, and AO because they are laid out well and easy to understand. Ds is using Breaking the Barrier 1 this year. It does not have enough practice built into the program for us, so I added Visual Link level 1 because I already owned it. 

BtB covers present, preterite, imperfect, progressive, and immediate future using infinitives. I feel that's quite a bit for the the first year looking at those scopes and sequences. My plan is to do half of BtB 1 and half next year. He'll finish out level 1 of VL, and I'll get VL Level 2. It covers 5 tenses of verbs. When he has finished those three things, I'm going to say he's done with Spanish 1 and 2. He will have spent at least 2 years if not a little more on it. He's only trying to get his 2 credits and be done. 

• Chrysalis Academy likes this

#3 Chrysalis Academy

Chrysalis Academy

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10142 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

I agree, we're using BtB also (along with other things) and they cover way more in BtB 1 than any other Spanish 1 syllabus I've seen. BtB 1 seems to cover most of the grammar typically covered in high school Spanish 1 & Spanish 2.

My goal is for dd to do SPAN 2 at the local cc, so that we have verification (for transfer/college admin purposes) that she's completed the foreign language requirement, and if she does transfer to a state school, so that she will have the FL requirement finished. Looking at their SPAN 2 syllabus, it looks like if she masters BtB 1, she'll be more than prepared.  SPAN 2 is the college class they suggest for students who have had two years of high school Spanish. So I think I'm ok. I just wondered if there was a "typical" or "canonical" scope & sequence for Spanish 2 at the high school level.

• mom31257 likes this

#4 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3136 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

I just got the scope and sequence from the online provider Spanish Academy.  In Spanish 2 they cover Lesson themes include stem-changing verbs, irregular verbs, idiomatic negative phrases, preterite irregular verbs including radical verb changes, verb synonyms, and expressions with “vez.”, “ser,” “estar,” and “haber”; direct and indirect objects in sentences; personal “a”; prepositions; and intransitive verbs.

I think the answer to your question, though, is that there is not a standard content.  I say this because my dc who just finished Spanish 1 with PAH covered about half of these topics to some degree in Spanish 2. 

Looking at the two providers, I am expecting Spanish Academy to be less in-depth. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

• RootAnn and Chrysalis Academy like this

#5 Serenade

Serenade

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2801 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

This is a helpful thread. I am going to bookmark it. I, too, have been trying to figure out what a student should know at the end of Spanish 1 and 2.

#6 StillStanding

StillStanding

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Spanish is Fun Level 2

Grammar: New and Review
Negative and Affirmative Expressions
Demonstrative Adjectives and Pronouns
Direct-Object Pronouns
Indirect-Object Pronouns
Double-Object Pronouns
Pronouns After Prepositions Verbs:
Review Present Tense Regular and Irregular Verbs
Conocer vs. Saber
Stem-Changing Verbs
Commands
Reflexive Verbs
Imperfect Tense
Preterito Tense
Verbs with Spelling Changes
Stem-Changing Verbs with Orthographic Changes
Future Tense: Regular and Irregular Verbs
The Conditional Tense
Past Participles
Present Perfect Tense
Present Subjunctive

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spanish, spanish 2, high school spanish