Menu

DIY ABA therapy?

mom of 2 boys

Is it possible to do ABA yourself? Is it realistic? We do not have access to actual ABA therapy here and have pretty much exhausted all other options. 

If so, can anyone point me in the direction of resources that might help me to learn about it? I'm not looking to become certified or anything like that. Is there a guide book or something available? Are there other parents out there doing this? 

Thank you!

I really like Mary Barbera and she has some stuff on her website.

She has a book called The Verbal Behvaior Approach.

Some stuff would not apply.

I like Christine Reeve also, she has a website and she has a drop-down menu and then a behavior section.

I had a therapist and these are some things I found helpful to understand some of the principles.

It probably depends a lot on what your top goals are.

Edit: her website is autismclassroomresources.com

Edited by Lecka

I really like Mary Barbera and she has some stuff on her website.

She has a book called The Verbal Behvaior Approach.

Some stuff would not apply.

I like Christine Reeve also, she has a website and she has a drop-down menu and then a behavior section.

I had a therapist and these are some things I found helpful to understand some of the principles.

It probably depends a lot on what your top goals are.

Edit: her website is autismclassroomresources.com

Thank you!! I will look into these! My son is self directed and non-compliant, so my goals would revolve around getting him to follow rules and directions. His daily living skills need attention as well. 

Mom of 2 boys, I have:

A Work in Progress: Behavior Management Strategies & A Curriculum for Intensive Behavioral Treatment of Autism

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Progress-Management-Strategies-Curriculum/dp/0966526600/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1491870599&sr=8-41&keywords=aba+therapy

I used it mostly as a checklist and adapted it to more of a floortime approach. It is yours if you want it  :)  along with another one or two resources you might find useful. I was helped once by a couple of people when I needed it so just paying it forward. If you can at least cover the shipping for me (I am in Canada), I will gladly send them to you.

PM me if you are interested.  

Oh thank you, you are so kind! I will take a look at it and message you if interested! 

You can buy the VB-MAPP and/or the ABLLS materials but they're not the most user-friendly.

What I recommend for those who cannot get ABA funding is Relationship Development Intervention for Young Children by Steven Gutstein. Modern ABA draws very heavily from RDI these days, despite RDI's origin as an alternative to ABA.

• Like 1