Menu

I like Singapore Math less every day.

I don't understand why they jump around like they do.  In the past couple months they have just touched on a couple algebra concepts, then one geometry concept, then ratios, and now decimals.  They've been doing decimals for about 1 week and the chapter test is tomorrow.  I don't know what's next - maybe astronomy or geography.

I know my kid is not the only one who won't retain any of this for more than 2 weeks.

And another thing - they always have a semi-mandatory review before school on test days.  The kids have to be there a half hour early.  The teacher gives them the actual test questions and goes over them.  This is awesome except for one thing.  Kids who don't have a ride at that time have to miss the review.  I really appreciate that the teacher does these reviews, but I'm not so thrilled that they always require a different transportation solution - and that I never find out until the night before.

OK, I'm done whining now.  :)

• Like 1

That does sound frustrating ((hugs)).

I would encourage the girls to notice that decimals are not a new concept. Decimals are just an extension of place-value beyond the units place. I have heard that Singapore has a really great foundation for numbers in the early years, so if it's worked for your girls early on, perhaps recalling those early days will help them now.

I think the issues you're having have more to do with the implementation than the program. We use MIF and are about 2 lessons from finishing grade 5. I don't think it jumps around at all - seemingly unrelated topics are arranged so that skills are continually built - like ratios are done to reinforce fractions. I think you've said that they were still in 5A until recently (I remember that where you said they were was pretty far back from where we were in the level) so maybe the teacher is rushing ahead now that the year is winding down. I think you've also said that they don't usually finish each grade level in the school year, so maybe some of the foundation has been skipped, making the concepts harder than they are supposed to be. You have the extra practice books, right? I'd work through those over the summer (at least for 5B). Is the school sticking with MIF Course 1 next year? Or switching to something else?

I don't know what they are doing next year.  I should probably ask.

Last night my daughter said, "I like math, I just don't like the way Mr. ___ teaches it."  I said, "I don't think it's your teacher, I think the Singapore Math curriculum is jacked up."  She said, "I don't think it's Singapore Math, I really think it's just Mr. __ isn't the best math teacher."  So there it is from the horse's mouth, LOL.

Besides not spending enough time on each topic, the teacher basically accuses her of cheating every time she does better on a homework than on classwork / quizzes.  Yesterday he said "I hope you aren't copying off your sister's homework."  Usually this kid finishes her homework first, so no, that's not it.  She says she gets nervous in class and doesn't remember things.  I told her to say, "I'm sorry, I have memory problems."  She says, "I've tried that - he doesn't believe me."

Ugh, as usual, summer vacation can't come fast enough.  :P

my older had one like that too. We knew she was shorting the stude ts because she cut out the middle part of the units and she did not practice word problems before the test. At the mtg I requested she blatantly told me that word problems were for smart kids, and if mine didn't get it, it was because he wasn't smart. A mic would have been nice,but what it told me is that she didn't know math well enough to teach it...we did SM at home instead.

And that review before the test...bad news, leads to bad habits.

And my kids were 10 minutes late for the review this morning, because my stressed-out kid was in the bathroom with diarrhea.  Of course the teacher will just assume we are irresponsible.  :/

That's sad! I hope she gets a better teacher next year. I would definitely review level 5. If you work through the cumulative reviews over the summer, you can see which things haven't stuck and then work on those with the extra practice.