Menu

Any reason NOT to skip Challenge problems in AoPS?

My 7th grade dd just started the AoPS Algebra book. We skipped most of the Challenge problems in the Prealgebra book because I didn't feel like they were absolutely necessary and wanted her to get to Algebra a bit quicker. That seems to have worked out well. She's got a solid enough grasp of everything covered, and I'll have her continue reviewing PreA on Alcumus until everything is green.

So, I'm wondering if we will be alright continuing with just doing the Review Problems and Alcumus or if there's some reason that the book is incomplete without all the Challenge problems.

The reason I'm asking is because she really wants to do AoPS Geometry instead of Jacobs 2nd edition (which we own and she thinks looks boring - read: unfamiliar). AoPS would take longer than Jacobs, so I'd like to start it before the beginning of 9th grade.

Maybe she should do the challenge problems in the Algebra book but not in the Geometry book? Would that be a better option?

There is no law that you must do the challenge problems.

Obviously, if the student does the challenge problems, she learns more than if she doesn't.

But even completely without the challenge problems, she will learn more than she would in a traditional algebra program.

We did most of the challenge problems in intro to algebra, but if I recall correctly, we only did select ones in geometry.

• Like 5

The benefit of doing the challenge problems kicks in more for math competitions which my oldest treats as social events. It did build endurance to frustration for him. My younger boy doesn't have the endurance level of my oldest and he also doesn't have the speed so he didn't complete all. AoPS geometry was much faster at getting done than either of the AoPS algebra books for my kids as they like geometry more than algebra. AoPS precalculus book was another faster one for my oldest.

There are benefits but it is not essential.

• Like 1

Of course the challenge problems make for a deeper learning experience.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing; I liked to use them for review.  Maybe just use selections?

I'm not sure that AoPS Geometry will take much longer than Jacobs, especially if you are selecting smaller numbers of challenge problems.  If I recall, the online course is 24 weeks.  I think a school year should be sufficient.

• Like 1

Challenge problems are good to deepen learning. 

One of my kids did all the challenge problems (and one of the students I tutored). One of my kids did them in each chapter until he got frustrated and then he had permission to stop (no need to frustrate him). With my daughter, I look over them and pick out the more numerical, less theoretical problems and do them buddy style with her. 

I definitely think the challenge problems are worthwhile, but they are not for everyone.

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone. So helpful! I think we'll probably do the Challenge problems in the Algebra book until the point where she gets frustrated. And, since she struggles with visual-spatial manipulation, we'll likely skip most or all of the challenge problems in Geometry. It's really helpful to know that, even with skipping the hardest problems, she'll still be getting a great education.

My DD says "I think having her do the challenge problems in Algebra would be really helpful, even for geometry. The challenge problems really help you more deeply understand the math, and sometimes give you more useful information."

Also, AOPS geometry is done in only 24 weeks with the online class, if you're wanting AOPS and a quicker paced/finish time.

• Like 1

It's also useful to go back and pick them up later. We skipped some of the challenge problems in Pre-A and Intro A because DD was so young and so easily frustrated. She's now going back and doing them as she learns to teach the same concepts, and finding them very useful.

• Like 2