7 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 daisyeyes

daisyeyes

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

Curious thoughts about MUS algebra for an 8th grader ... and also if walking into this MUS course as a first year MUS user would be challenging or not.

#2 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13843 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Whether or not it's challenging depends on your child's preparation and why you've considering MUS.

I love MUS Alpha-Zeta.  But I would not use their higher level products unless my child had a special need for them or I was planning to follow it up with a standard course.

• 8FillTheHeart and kiana like this

#3 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

We liked the Greek series, too.  We even liked the pre-algebra and Stewardship.  We jumped to a different program at Algebra, though.

#4 8FillTheHeart

8FillTheHeart

Alice or Mad Hatter or maybe a little of both

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13670 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

My kids use MUS alg as pre-alg (combined with the geometry book covered in a single yr) after Horizons 6. It has been a simple transition and they have all typically made 100s on every assignment. (Those 2 MUS books are the only ones I am familiar with.)

We follow MU alg and geo with another full yr each of alg and geo using more thorough, advanced texts.

#5 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35638 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

I used it as our pre-algebra for a young kid.  It worked out well for that.

#6 KeriJ

KeriJ

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

We're using it for 8th grade as written, for our Algebra 1 course. We're happy with it.

#7 HollyDay

HollyDay

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6935 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

MUS algebra is graphing heavy.  They start with graphing right away.  I think this is different from other programs.  We started Algebra 1 with oldest dd but it was not a great fit.  She was coming from Saxon 1/2 and wanted to try something different.  I think the mastery approach was not a good fit for her.  She actually liked the Saxon approach better and stayed with Saxon until Pre-Calc, when we switched over to Lials.  Youngest has used MUS for Pre-Calculus and Calculus 1.  It has been a good fit for her. 

#8 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7377 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Curious thoughts about MUS algebra for an 8th grader ... and also if walking into this MUS course as a first year MUS user would be challenging or not.

Age is not the important factor--always use the placement tests to know where to start if you are switching programs. The upper level MUS programs worked well for my kids.