Menu

Looking for the feedback on AP Geography with PAH, especially workload

Could someone give me any feedback about AP Geography course with PA Homeschoolers, especially the workload that comes with it and the teacher's involvement?

My daughter will be 15 and it would be her first year taking AP courses. She will also be taking AP Psychology, which she really wants to do, but I am wondering if it would be wise to add another AP course. She works hard if she is interested in the subject or if she really likes the teacher. At this point she is cautiously (or somewhat) interested in the subject and I am not sure how much of the teacher's feedback they will be getting, being that it is an asynchronous class.  

I think of the Geography as more of an exposure class that would introduce her to the new concepts, and as a bonus, would serve as another outlet for practicing her writing, in somewhat different setting other than her English class.

Her workload maybe a bit heavy next year:

Latin 2 with Lone Pine

Algebra 2 with WHA

AP Psychology with PAH

Biology with WTMA

Essay class with the local teacher

Lit. possibly with Center for Lit.

Still thinking what to do about History 

Thank you so much for any feedback on this class!!

I posted a link to my blog a couple of weeks ago that has the schedule we used to study AP Human Geography at home last year. It was my dd's favorite classes. I added on lots of fun videos and documentaries. Message me if you would like the link to my blog 😄

• Like 1

Could someone give me any feedback about AP Geography course with PA Homeschoolers, especially the workload that comes with it and the teacher's involvement?

My daughter will be 15 and it would be her first year taking AP courses. She will also be taking AP Psychology, which she really wants to do, but I am wondering if it would be wise to add another AP course. She works hard if she is interested in the subject or if she really likes the teacher. At this point she is cautiously (or somewhat) interested in the subject and I am not sure how much of the teacher's feedback they will be getting, being that it is an asynchronous class.  

I think of the Geography as more of an exposure class that would introduce her to the new concepts, and as a bonus, would serve as another outlet for practicing her writing, in somewhat different setting other than her English class.

Her workload maybe a bit heavy next year:

Latin 2 with Lone Pine

Algebra 2 with WHA

AP Psychology with PAH

Biology with WTMA

Essay class with the local teacher

Lit. possibly with Center for Lit.

Still thinking what to do about History 

Thank you so much for any feedback on this class!!

One thing we did this year that made my dd's workload more manageable but still allowed her to take all the classes she was interested in was to audit the AP Psych class at PAHS.  We hadn't originally planned on that, but her AP English Lang class wound up requiring a lot more time than we had expected.  By auditing, she still had exposure to the subject and access to all the lectures and tests, but we had much more control over how much time she put into the subject.  She still enjoyed the class and is on track to do well on the AP exam.  She won't get a grade from the teacher, which honestly wasn't that important to me because I'm pretty confident she'll do well on the AP exam.  Just a thought in case you do go ahead and sign up for AP Human Geography and find the workload heavier than you want.

• Like 1

One thing we did this year that made my dd's workload more manageable but still allowed her to take all the classes she was interested in was to audit the AP Psych class at PAHS.  We hadn't originally planned on that, but her AP English Lang class wound up requiring a lot more time than we had expected.  By auditing, she still had exposure to the subject and access to all the lectures and tests, but we had much more control over how much time she put into the subject.  She still enjoyed the class and is on track to do well on the AP exam.  She won't get a grade from the teacher, which honestly wasn't that important to me because I'm pretty confident she'll do well on the AP exam.  Just a thought in case you do go ahead and sign up for AP Human Geography and find the workload heavier than you want.

Is auditing an option for all of their classes? Does the teacher still grade the work? 

Is auditing an option for all of their classes? Does the teacher still grade the work? 

Some of their classes specifically list an audit option that is much cheaper than the regular option.  I know the art history teacher lists out exactly what is included in the audit option.  I was actually just looking at that option with that class and wishing she would charge more for the audit option but be willing to grade written work for audit students.  It may be something she would be willing to do.  Or not.   With the psychology class, I did not know there was an audit option until we were a month into the class (the teacher mentioned it because I had told her my dd needed to drop the class since AP English Lang was taking so much time) and we were not given a break on the price but the teacher did allow my dd to continue to take all the tests and she has also graded all of my dd's essays throughout the year.

• Like 1

Some of their classes specifically list an audit option that is much cheaper than the regular option.  I know the art history teacher lists out exactly what is included in the audit option.  I was actually just looking at that option with that class and wishing she would charge more for the audit option but be willing to grade written work for audit students.  It may be something she would be willing to do.  Or not.   With the psychology class, I did not know there was an audit option until we were a month into the class (the teacher mentioned it because I had told her my dd needed to drop the class since AP English Lang was taking so much time) and we were not given a break on the price but the teacher did allow my dd to continue to take all the tests and she has also graded all of my dd's essays throughout the year.

That seems like a good option. 

• Like 1

That seems like a good option.

It really was for us. We got a class that was well-designed and that prepared my dd for the test and we had full control over how many hours she worked on the material. That turned out to be 2, sometimes 3 hours a week. I will say that the psych teacher has a lot of great assignments and activities for this class that she adds in which I do not think were busywork, but are actually worthwhile enriching activities. If my dd had had the time, she would have done them. Even without doing them, though, she still learned a lot and has enjoyed the experience. I guess the big pitfall with this is that your student has to be disciplined enough to keep up with the class without anything actually being "due" if they want to participate in tests because they are only open for shorter windows of time.

• Like 2