Menu

Books on Elizabeth and Mary

Nine Days Queen by Karleen Bradford. I'm pretty sure that's the one I read as a young teen. (There are a few books with similar titles, but pretty sure it was that one.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That would be about Lady Jane Grey, rather than Elizabeth or Mary, I would think?  She reigned before either of them. Presumably they might both be in the book a bit though.

That would be about Lady Jane Grey, rather than Elizabeth or Mary, I would think? She reigned before either of them. Presumably they might both be in the book a bit though.

It is, yes. But it's an interesting introduction to how they wind up reigning. Lady Jane was chosen in an effort to NOT have either Mary or Elizabeth reign, so I figured it fit with the topic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you looking for historical fiction? I would suggest:

Mary, Bloody Mary by Elizabeth Meyer

& Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Elizabeth Meyer

If you're looking for history, my oldest also read the biography The Children of Henry the VIII by Alison Weir at around that age (maybe 12-13-ish). It covers Lady Jane Grey in addition to delving into the relationships between Edward, Mary, and Elizabeth. It's very readable for a middle schooler with a high interest in the topic, but you might want to check for content. There's nothing I would consider overly mature for a middle schooler, but Elizabeth's relationship with Thomas Seymour is discussed as well as Mary's menstrual history and false pregnancies.

Mercedes Lackey has a series of historical fantasy that is basically "what if the British monarchy actually had elves behind the scenes. I'd say they would be a little mature for an 8 yr old, but it would depend on your 8 yr old-and definitely are more fun to read the more you know about British history. https://smile.amazon.com/This-Scepterd-Isle-Urban-Faerie-ebook/dp/B00AP91OVK/ref=pd_sim_351_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AP91OVK&pd_rd_r=4RTYEH936T4CM53TW9DN&pd_rd_w=BN0vt&pd_rd_wg=WP3Oy&psc=1&refRID=4RTYEH936T4CM53TW9DN

Are you looking for historical fiction? I would suggest:

Mary, Bloody Mary by Elizabeth Meyer

& Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Elizabeth Meyer

Really, I'm looking at any type. We will cover different topics next year chronologically and I'm trying to accumulate ideas for readers and read alouds for both kiddos. I'll have a basic spine (or spines) that we are working through, but trying to fill in with some interesting books.

Thanks for all of the ideas so far!