Menu

Help me choose books for 6th grade

I'm planning out my reading list for next year. I have some historical fiction, some cultural focused books, some modern fiction, some poetry and some classics....But I wanted a few more things to round out my list. 

I need a few biography or autobiography ideas

I also need a couple non fiction books that would be fun to add in

I would also love some suggestions for picture books. I would love to discuss various themes using longer picture books. 

So.....help me out please!!!

My 6th grader has read or listened to the following for school books this year:

Anne of Green Gables

Hatchet

Paddle to the Sea (picture book on the Great Lakes)

Redwall

Catherine, called Birdy

The Sword in the Stone

Tuck Everlasting

A Hat Full of Sky

Harry Potter 4

Esperanza Rising

I am Malala

I used this book for poetry: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385076967/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0385076967&linkCode=as2&tag=mamrex-20&linkId=XJIGURIRILPYOOU3

Book Club Books (through the library):

Gregor the Overlander

Gertie Leaps to Greatness

Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH

A Snicker of Magic

Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library

Wonder

The One and Only Ivan

The Penderwicks

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Savvy

She's also researched and done a speech on the following topics. She uses the internet, podcasts and non-fiction books for these.

Castles

Zebras

Hurricanes

Ruby Bridges

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fetal Development

Childhood Diseases

Elements/Periodic Table

Circulatory System

I think I got most of them. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Biography ideas...

I Am Malala, YR edition - gentler than the regular edition, but still compelling

Charles and Emma - about Charles Darwin and his wife

The Notorious Benedict Arnold - anything by Steve Sheinkin would be a good pick, really

Brown Girl Dreaming - a memoir about a writer

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice - a civil rights biography

Nonfiction ideas...

Bomb by Steve Sheinkin - about the creation of the atomic bomb, really complex, compelling story

Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick - super easy read about science and philosophy in the ancient world

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, YR edition - great story about a young man who built a windmill for his village

The Disappearing Spoon - about chemistry - a good challenge read some middle schoolers are ready for

Packing for Mars - about the weird science of preparing to go to Mars - so well told and funny, but an adult level book

Alternately, you could choose shorter nonfiction and choose several titles. The Scientist in the Field books are so good, for example. And there are a number of great shorter science books that are at a middle school level. Or history books.

Picture books for older kids...

Pink and Say by Patricia Pollaco - about the Civil War

The Butter Battle Book or Yertle the Turtle or The Sneeches - a good age to introduce a more obvious modern world metaphors reading of Seuss

Zen Shorts - about Zen and philosophy

Stinky Cheese Man - playing around with fairy tales - could be good for going with a retellings assignment

Henry's Freedom Box - about slavery

Weslandia - about a boy creating his own world, about conformity

The Three Golden Keys by Peter Sis - Prague legends

Zoom and Re-Zoom - images that zoom in and out

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick - story picture prompts

... I could go on with those... is that the sort of thing you're thinking of for picture books?

This list has some good older kid picture book ideas:

https://ccbc.education.wisc.edu/books/detailListBooks.asp?idBookLists=259

• Like 1

Here's the list for my current 6th grader (I doubt she'll get through all of them and I add options that look good all the time lol.)

Madam How and Lady Why - 138 pages

A Christmas Carol

Tom Sawyer - 197 pages

Galen and the gateway to medicine - 123 pages

Rip van winkle - 172 pages

The Drover’s Wife - 8 pages

Little Men - 304 pages

20,000 leagues under the sea - 304 pages

The Time Machine - 80 pages

Edible History of Humanity - 242 pages

A proud taste for scarlet and miniver- 201 pages

The Vanishing point - 226 pages

Rise and fall of mount majestic - 339

Freckles - 146 pages

Here is the list, so far, of the books read aloud to my 6th and 8th graders. The historical fiction and many biographies tie to their social studies programs: Ancient for  6th and Civics/US history for 8th.   https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/3267647-nancy-zey?shelf=2016-17-read-alouds&utm_campaign=mybooksnav&utm_content=mybooks_cta&utm_medium=web&utm_source=homepage

These are supplemented with independently selected and assigned reading as well as their literature anthologies (short stories, articles, excepts, and poems). 

Edited by J&JMom

Can I ask a question along these lines? I have a current 5th grader, so I'm also planning for next year. What do you all do as far as discussions these books? Do you read the same books and discuss them? Do you plan out lessons or activities? Literature Guides?

Language Arts is not my thing, so I struggle with what to do. DS loves reading, so that's great. Is just reading these enough?

Can I ask a question along these lines? I have a current 5th grader, so I'm also planning for next year. What do you all do as far as discussions these books? Do you read the same books and discuss them? Do you plan out lessons or activities? Literature Guides?

Language Arts is not my thing, so I struggle with what to do. DS loves reading, so that's great. Is just reading these enough?

For most books, we just read and discuss, but I do add in lit guides sometimes.  My 13yo only did one lit guide this year, and I have 2 planned for him for next year, but mostly it's just read and discuss.

• Like 1

Most books she just reads and tells me about. Some books I read too and we have a casual discussion about it using the WTM questions. Every few weeks I get her to write a couple of answers to those questions, include some quotes, add a evaluation paragraph to conclude it and call it a literary analysis essay. These are less than a page of writing.

• Like 1

Reading is enough IMHO. I do think around this age, it's nice to start doing a little more. But "more" doesn't have to be a ton or dry or a whole program. Some things we've done in addition to "just reading" and "just discussing" have included...

* everyone reading the same book to discuss at a special tea (somehow having a special sit down time for the discussion helps)

* reading short stories and marking them up - we do one per month - it's a nice way to do more classic authors, harder themes, etc.

* writing a reflection about a book - sometimes I'll ask open ended questions and have them freewrite about a book

* lit guides - I like the Glencoe ones and they're free

I like the way Lexi (the OP) apparently made a list that was purposefully chosen from different genres, time periods, etc. I think that's one of the best things you can do. A lot of the time kids who love to read end up reading a lot of one sort of book and don't get practice with other sorts. So it's nice to push them a little out of their comfort zone occasionally.

• Like 1

We do it all.  My kids are expected to:

- participate in a language arts basal textbook (anthology of short stories, excerpts, poems, plays, articles, etc) which focus on a skill during our daily LA class. Tests are routinely given per story and Unit of study. 

- Novel study - read a teacher-selected novel with a literature guide over the course of the quarter.

- Read Alouds - shared novel of the week (on average) and nonfiction books relating to content areas of study or interest.  We discuss as we read. Average over 100 titles a year.

- Independent Reading - set quarterly AR goals for time/level and they read what they what with no tests/etc. 

- A couple of times a year, I'll assign a nonfiction book to read and summarize. Such as, right now, their reading/writing assignment this week was to select, read, take notes, and compose a summary of what they read as it relates to the topic for their science "fair" project. The "fair" is only the two kids :)

This has been the routine from fifth grade through eighth.  In the younger grades, novels (chapter books) were covered more frequently.

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 1