Menu

5th Grade Secular General Science

I'm looking for something that will cover all branches of science each year. RS4K Building Blocks looks good, but I know there has to be more out there. The public school curricula that have started offering homeschool options are crazy expensive. I don't want anything that is exclusively online. I'd PREFER to not have any online component, actually. And I'd prefer an all-in-one, instead of piecing together various stand alone units. Does this exist?

Kids and I are using BFSU. It's secular and all-in-one, and they are enjoying it. But it requires a fair bit of prep. It's definitely not open-and-go, and there isn't much in the way of an experimental component. Much more discussion/dialogue-based.

But they are understanding the foundational scientific concepts in a way I never did, so I'm satisfied with it despite the prep element.

Sent from my SCL23 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We used and like So You Really Want to Learn Science from Galore Park- I don't think they make it now, though. Singapore would be similar.

We also just had around various school textbooks bought used at half price books for general interest and reference (dd always preferred those to science encyclopedias).

Also there is a free curriculum called Thunderbolt Kids: http://www.thunderboltkids.co.za dd read the comics but there is a textbook that goes with it at each grade level. I would think it could be printed.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

I looked at BFSU years ago, and it wasn't my style. I may give it another peek, but I prefer something that doesn't have as much prep work. 

I've looked at Singapore. It just seems so light, to me. I know any general science curric is going to be light, but it just seems lighter than other things I've seen.

I really like the look of Thunderbolt. But as I look around it has a ton of references to South African animals and whatnot. Obviously, since it's a S. African publication. I just wonder if that would present any confusion or gaps in knowledge of our part of the world.