Menu

My cat just ate six inches of ribbon

AnnE-girl

Can I hope that will be able to pass it, or it will come back up (she is a rather pukey cat) or do we need to get her to the vet soon before it can damage her intestines? Dd saw it happen, but couldn't get it away from her. She swallowed the last of it just as I got to the room to try to pull it out.

I had a cat do this exactly this 20 years ago (first with a curling ribbon and then a few weeks later with a huge rubber band). The vet had me give her hydrogen peroxide to try and make her vomit. The problem is getting peroxide inside a cat. I couldn't do it. We both ended up soaked in peroxide with none making it into the cat. She never vomited. They did x-rays both times and sure enough, there it was. Both times it passed. She just had festive poo. I would call the vet and see if they support the hydrogen peroxide idea and then see if they have a decent delivery  method suggestion. 

DH just called the emergency vet clinic. They said that length of ribbon shouldn't be too likely to cause a major problem. They did advise giving her Metamucil with her next few meals to help things along though. DH is heading out to Walgreens to pick some up now.

• Like 7

I used to have a cat that would eat curling ribbon every time we had it in the house.  So, every single time dd brought home a balloon, or a goody bag, or had presents, or anything with curling ribbon - the cat would eat it.  She also loved Easter basket "grass".  We stopped using them at home but people would still bring her gifts or baskets with ribbon or grass (especially grandparents, ugh they couldn't understand that we didn't want the grass all over the house).   She ALWAYS passed it.  Sometimes we'd find stuff in the litter box and had no idea where it came from.  Evidently she was keeping a stash somewhere for the lean times.

• Like 4

Our cats love curling ribbon too! They're fast and sneaky about it. I try to be hyper vigilant and get rid of it immediately, but they're ninjas. We usually don't know (or don't know which) until it's in the litter box. Once the cat pooped and didn't expel the whole piece of ribbon. Then the attached poo scared him, and he ran around the house screaming with the curling ribbon poo dragging behind him. Good times.

• Like 5

She threw up once this morning, which is pretty normal for her, and she's otherwise acting like herself. She's always thrown up pretty often, but otherwise been completely fine. She's eating her regular dry food and some canned food mixed with the fiber the vet recommended. Nothing in the litter box yet.

Reminds me of Dewey the library cat who loved rubber bands. Hoping your kitty passes it with no problem!

I have one who has a thing for PIPE CLEANERS. Luckily, he's never actually managed ingest any, and the kids are now more careful with their art supplies.  :glare:

I used to have a cat that would eat curling ribbon every time we had it in the house.  So, every single time dd brought home a balloon, or a goody bag, or had presents, or anything with curling ribbon - the cat would eat it.  She also loved Easter basket "grass".  We stopped using them at home but people would still bring her gifts or baskets with ribbon or grass (especially grandparents, ugh they couldn't understand that we didn't want the grass all over the house).   She ALWAYS passed it.  Sometimes we'd find stuff in the litter box and had no idea where it came from.  Evidently she was keeping a stash somewhere for the lean times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

One of our cats used to have a stash of rubber bands. She stole a whole bag of them from the office and hid them. One night she apparently went a little hog-wild and ate a big handful of them. When she threw them up, I panicked and thought they were tapeworms. :ack2: I think she might have thought the same thing because she never ate another rubber band after that!

• Like 3

Our cats love curling ribbon too! They're fast and sneaky about it. I try to be hyper vigilant and get rid of it immediately, but they're ninjas. We usually don't know (or don't know which) until it's in the litter box. Once the cat pooped and didn't expel the whole piece of ribbon. Then the attached poo scared him, and he ran around the house screaming with the curling ribbon poo dragging behind him. Good times.

I have to thank you for this visual. I cracked up!  :lol:

That's much more festive than seeing a tube sock hanging halfway out the backside of a black lab puppy.

We once had a dog who could open the refrigerator. Once she ate five pounds of raw chicken, plus the styrofoam backing and the plastic bag containing everything. She decided that she needed to pass the whole mess in the middle of a crowded park. The bag got stuck. I made my husband walk away from me and do a funny dance so everyone would be looking at him, and not watching me pull a plastic bag out of my dog's ass.

• Like 6

We once had a dog who could open the refrigerator. Once she ate five pounds of raw chicken, plus the styrofoam backing and the plastic bag containing everything. She decided that she needed to pass the whole mess in the middle of a crowded park. The bag got stuck. I made my husband walk away from me and do a funny dance so everyone would be looking at him, and not watching me pull a plastic bag out of my dog's ass.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depending on how wide the ribbon was, I would be taking him into the emergency vet.

A few years ago, one of our cats got into my sewing supplies and swallowed some string.  Well, almost.  Part of the string got caught on the tongue barbs and between the saliva and the movement of the string continually trying to be swallowed, it essentially turned into a wire.  By the time Bob showed any symptoms, it had been three days and the "wire" sliced through several parts of his intestine.  It was too late to save him.  The vet said said this was a somewhat common occurrence.

She's still eating normally and acting like herself. She's really excited about the canned food she's gotten last night and this morning to get her to eat the fiber supplement. Her litter box is normal too, although nothing "festive" yet. If the emergency vet had been more concerned we would take her in sooner, but since it wasn't that long we're hoping it should be ok. We'll keep a close eye on her and take her in if anything changes.

• Like 6