Menu

British meat pies

xixstar

Why are British meat pies not more popular? They looks so appealing to me and I wish I could just go somewhere and buy one.

I like the looks of the taller, traditional meat pies as opposed to smaller ones that look like empanadas or hand pies. And I live in the MidAtlantic region, if that is relevant.

I am not a baker but maybe I need to become one. Any local boardies quite skilled in this area and want to bake for me?

This post brought to you by my re-indulgence of The Great British Off; while everyone else is drooling over the lovely desserts, I just want a mince meat pie! :)

• Like 6

You can find recipes for them in older American cookbooks as well. I have no idea why they went out of fashion as I find them delicious as well.

I used to visit the uk more and frankly some of the things I really miss are meat pies, scotch eggs, and mince pies. :P

• Like 2

We have tourtiere here in Quebec, Canada and nearby. It's delicious! Looks about the size of an apple pie, but it has ground pork and beef inside. I don't know if these are available outside of Canada. They are very common in grocery stores here.

I've made this a few times, though we're in MN so I guess we're within Canada's culinary sphere of influence. :P They're fantastic.

• Like 1

I live in the land of the pasty so we eat them regularly but even here I think big meat pies are less popular than they used to be.

I agree, although my dd who dislikes them would tell you they are everywhere! :lol:

• Like 1

We have tourtiere here in Quebec, Canada and nearby. It's delicious! Looks about the size of an apple pie, but it has ground pork and beef inside. I don't know if these are available outside of Canada. They are very common in grocery stores here.

My grandmother made this pie for every holiday for years.  That side of my family is French Canadian.

I have never tried it!  Odd, but true.

I should make one.  I did come across a recipe in Cook's Country.

• Like 1

There is a little corner store in my city that, from the outside, looks like a run-down market. It is so famous for its British meat pies that it has been featured on multiple television shows and people drive for miles to come buy them. I haven't been there since my Nana died - it might be time to go again!

Edited by Noreen Claire

In this part of Scotland, hand-held pies are popular, called bridies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie

Larger meat pies locally often only have a pastry top, not a complete pastry case, as in this picture:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186518-d3807586-i161475335-The_Royal_Arch_Bar_Bistro-Dundee_Scotland.html

• Like 2

They are super tasty. They are not any harder to make than apple pies, imo, and a lot easier than hamburgers.

Lol - I find Apple pies a challenge. But I am neither a baker or a fiddle cook either. Its not really hard, just not something I ever make.

I just wish they could be ordered somewhere - I don't want to make one... well except I've watched enough YouTube videos now that I am tempted to make it work.

And this points out - I need some more cooking shows to watch and get inspirered.

I agree, they are tasty. Last summer at teacher's convention my friend and I had dinner at a British pub and I had a very yummy meat pie. It didn't have a crust, though. It had mashed potatoes. It was more like a shepherd's pie. British food isn't very popular here in Central California, though. Here we have a taco truck or a Mexican restaurant on every corner. Asian food is popular, too.

In this part of Scotland, hand-held pies are popular, called bridies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridie

Larger meat pies locally often only have a pastry top, not a complete pastry case, as in this picture:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186518-d3807586-i161475335-The_Royal_Arch_Bar_Bistro-Dundee_Scotland.html

Those Scottish bridies look really yummy!  Do you have a favourite recipe?

I think it's usually a flaky pastry.

At least in Yorkshire the better crusts on purchased pies have lard (cringe). Those really are the nice flaky ones generally. The crusts are prized, both local butchers sell pies. Locals rave about the crust at one place and my research(I asked)has told me that those crusts are all lard. I am relieved to say I like the other butcher's pies better with only some lard!

As far as someone local making it at home it seems to always be basic puff pastry which is pretty close to philo, if not the same.

I make a lot of these.  Almost always, with pastry only on the top.  I use a basic flour, lard and salt pastry, the same one I use for sweet pastries

Most often I do steak and kidney, or a fidget pie which has potato, chopped up ham, onion, and apples, in a white sauce, with sage.  Sometimes I do one with a bottom crust only, add boiled potatoes and onions and cover with cheese.  Or of I get rabbit or hare, I like those in a pie as well, usually that is called a poacher's pie, especially if you also have grouse or pheasant in it.

I also like to do hotpot which is cheap lamb cuts and lamb kidney stewed and cooked under a crust of thinly sliced potatoes.

Usually, the pies that are more cylinder shaped and totally encased  are made in a springform pan.  Or, some are actually done in a pudding basin and steamed - I've never done that but I think the pastry would be nice and soft.

Anyway, if you really are keen, a British cookbook is the way to go, Jamie Oliver books usually have a few pies in them but most any of them will.  As far as eating out, pubs are a place that will sometimes sell them.

• Like 3

At least in Yorkshire the better crusts on purchased pies have lard (cringe). Those really are the nice flaky ones generally. The crusts are prized, both local butchers sell pies. Locals rave about the crust at one place and my research(I asked)has told me that those crusts are all lard. I am relieved to say I like the other butcher's pies better with only some lard!

As far as someone local making it at home it seems to always be basic puff pastry which is pretty close to philo, if not the same.

What's wrong with lard?

Anyway, you can generally substitute shortening for lard in any recipe, though it's a bit like subbing margerine for butter.

You mean pasties? They're fantastic and I have always loved them, they're one of the foods I miss about not living in Devon anymore (fish and chips, slow roasted mutton, and mint jelly are others).

When I was young, my mother made meat pie every Monday with the leftover meat from the Sunday roast. When I make it, I find it easiest to buy a pack of "soup veggies", which usually contains a small onion or leek, a small turnip, a stalk of celery, a carrot, and some parsley and/or dill.  It's just the right amount.  The veg gets chopped and sauteed in a bit of butter, then combined with the cubed already-cooked roast beef and the herbs.  The gravy is flour, butter, and beef broth.  (Sometimes, I'll use beef fat for the gravy.)  The pie crust is made from scratch with butter, flour, and salt.  (If I haven't actually cooked a Sunday roast, I'll get two thick slices of roast beef (~1 or 1.5 cm thick) from the deli.)  

And that's why I don't make it a lot.  Half a stick of butter in the crust (and that's if I only do a top crust - mom always did top and bottom), plus the butter from cooking and from the gravy, combined with a nice helping of roast beef.  It's not exactly a healthy meal for a modern adult who spends most of the day sitting down.  

The plus is that you can slice the tops off of the carrot, onion, and turnip, put them in a little tray with a wee bit of water or a wet paper towel, and they will sprout.  It's a fun homeschooling activity to observe the growth each day at dinner time.  (Eventually, if not planted in proper soil, they die, but it's interesting while it lasts.)

• Like 1

Well about 40 minutes away - but I think this will actually get me inside a TJs. I seem to be out of step with everyone that loves that place because I can never find anything worth buying there. I have noticed that they do seem to have good frozen foods that we never buy: this looks like a good exception.

I have noticed some difference in pastry between the local traditional bakeries that make pasties and the larger chain ones. The small bakeries tend to have a really thin tender pastry that is much nicer than the big chain bakeries where it's often heavy and greasy and just doesn't taste as nice. I'd love to know what the difference in recipe is. I think they're both vegetarian as they're the same across the who range of fillings including meat free ones.

Homity pies are another type I see locally but less frequently. They've always been really nice and usually vegetable and cheese filled rather than meat.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

You mean pasties? They're fantastic and I have always loved them, they're one of the foods I miss about not living in Devon anymore (fish and chips, slow roasted mutton, and mint jelly are others).

Well, there are hand-pies like pasties and also dinner pies like the TJs ones pictured above.

• Like 2

I make a lot of these.  Almost always, with pastry only on the top.  I use a basic flour, lard and salt pastry, the same one I use for sweet pastries

Most often I do steak and kidney, or a fidget pie which has potato, chopped up ham, onion, and apples, in a white sauce, with sage.  Sometimes I do one with a bottom crust only, add boiled potatoes and onions and cover with cheese.  Or of I get rabbit or hare, I like those in a pie as well, usually that is called a poacher's pie, especially if you also have grouse or pheasant in it.

I also like to do hotpot which is cheap lamb cuts and lamb kidney stewed and cooked under a crust of thinly sliced potatoes.

Usually, the pies that are more cylinder shaped and totally encased  are made in a springform pan.  Or, some are actually done in a pudding basin and steamed - I've never done that but I think the pastry would be nice and soft.

Anyway, if you really are keen, a British cookbook is the way to go, Jamie Oliver books usually have a few pies in them but most any of them will.  As far as eating out, pubs are a place that will sometimes sell them.

Yay! I have one, and a British Beef and Onion Pie is in it. It has Marmite in the recipe. Oh joy. I'm not sure I'll actually include that.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I used to get Moravian chicken pies from a local lady when I was in college in Winston-Salem, NC---just pastry, chicken, and gravy, no vegetables. http://visitwinstonsalem.com/moravianculinarytrail (scroll down--the sugar cake is also wonderful and I love the cookies, but have never tried to bake them as they are so thin). James Foods sells a frozen version that can be found in some grocery stores in the southeastern US (Harris Teeter, Ingles, Giant Eagle, Lowe's Foods, maybe Costco), but I haven't tried it yet.  http://www.jamesfoods.com/product/entrees/moravian-chicken-pie/ They also sell a regular large chicken pot pie that includes vegetables.

On a side note, has anyone else heard about the Cadbury "Scotch eggs"? I can't even handle the richness of a Cadbury egg on its own, so it doesn't appeal, but it is an interesting concept. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/cadbury-creme-scotch-egg-recipe-how-to-make-chocolate-ingredients-timings-instructions-buttercream-a7592891.html

On a side note, has anyone else heard about the Cadbury "Scotch eggs"? I can't even handle the richness of a Cadbury egg on its own, so it doesn't appeal, but it is an interesting concept. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/cadbury-creme-scotch-egg-recipe-how-to-make-chocolate-ingredients-timings-instructions-buttercream-a7592891.html

Ha - I think I would prefer a traditional Scotch Egg to that. :)

• Like 1

They're not too difficult to make. My dd makes them for Christmas Eve dinner every year.

I love pasties! They would be one of the top foods I miss, too.

Yay! I have one, and a British Beef and Onion Pie is in it. It has Marmite in the recipe. Oh joy. I'm not sure I'll actually include that.  :laugh:

I suspect it's for the umami flavour.  If you'll never use it for anything else, you could probably substitute.  Maybe Worcestershire sauce, or even miso paste.

Do you have a the quantities for your basic pastry recipe you could share? My Jamie Oliver cookbook just says use pie top, no recipe given.

Thanks!

Do you have a the quantities for your basic pastry recipe you could share? My Jamie Oliver cookbook just says use pie top, no recipe given.

Thanks!

Sure, though I actually tend to wing it.

For a large single crust pie, I use about 1 1/2 cups white flour and maybe 1/4 tsp salt.  Then I cut in about 1/4 cup of lard, (or shortening if you prefer.)  There shouldn't be too much extra flour in the bottom once it's all well cut in.  Then with a fork I mix in about 1/4 cup cold water, and keep adding bits until it will hold together.  Usually about 1/2 cup in all but it can depend on how much the flour absorbs which isn't consistent.

For a largish double crust pie I use 2 cups flour, and for quite a small pie maybe about as little as one cup.  And just adjust the other ingredients more or less proportionally.

This isn't a pastry you want to handle too much, don't mix it like a batter, just stir with a fork and refrigerate before rolling out.  Roll out with a little flour.

ETA - the thing with pastry, in my experience, is really to practice.  You get a feel for it even if there are failures.  And bake things too like biscuits, even pancakes - they are all basically the same but you start to see the differences caused by the slight changed in ingredients and technique.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Sure, though I actually tend to wing it.

For a large single crust pie, I use about 1 1/2 cups white flour and maybe 1/4 tsp salt.  Then I cut in about 1/4 cup of lard, (or shortening if you prefer.)  There shouldn't be too much extra flour in the bottom once it's all well cut in.  Then with a fork I mix in about 1/4 cup cold water, and keep adding bits until it will hold together.  Usually about 1/2 cup in all but it can depend on how much the flour absorbs which isn't consistent.

For a largish double crust pie I use 2 cups flour, and for quite a small pie maybe about as little as one cup.  And just adjust the other ingredients more or less proportionally.

This isn't a pastry you want to handle too much, don't mix it like a batter, just stir with a fork and refrigerate before rolling out.  Roll out with a little flour.

ETA - the thing with pastry, in my experience, is really to practice.  You get a feel for it even if there are failures.  And bake things too like biscuits, even pancakes - they are all basically the same but you start to see the differences caused by the slight changed in ingredients and technique.

Much appreciated!  Now I remember why I usually just go and buy the pie pastry. I'm not good at rolling out thin dough and dealing with tricky stuff. I'm willing to try, though. ;)

Much appreciated!  Now I remember why I usually just go and buy the pie pastry. I'm not good at rolling out thin dough and dealing with tricky stuff. I'm willing to try, though. ;)

It's totally just practice.  My mom is a really amazing pastry maker, and I used to be terrified of it as a result, but I also was too ambarrased to bake things for the family using bought crust - my mother would always not-too-subtally say well, she would make it if it was too much for me. :rolleyes: 

So I persisted, and now I rarely have a problem - I sometimes find the more fancy bought pastry trickier when I do use one, I end up getting it stuck everywhere!.  It's really just getting to know when things look wrong. 

• Like 1

I have a recipe for tourtiere but the American cookbook where I found it just called it Canadian meat pie. I love meat pies, but I especially like hand held ones.

As strange as it sounds, Cocoa Beach (not far from me) has a sizable population of British expats. A few of them have begun to open restaurants and tea shops. I've been gradually trying each one and have yet to be disappointed.

• Like 1

We enjoyed tourtiere when we lived in Winnipeg. I was given a recipe that I made for my dd's public school class when they studied Canada. Delicious!

It's funny, British cuisine used to be made fun of. Maybe it was the post-war effect.

I was thinking about this recently. I think the style of food that we traditionally do in Britain is extremely easy to do really badly turning it into bland heavy stodge but we've had such a focus on food and cooking in the last decade or so that maybe people are more aware of how to avoid the stodge. Done right it's really nice.
  • Like 2

I grew up on these and loved them!  Not sure I would eat many now as they were certainly not low fat or low calorie or low carb, but they were deliciously yummy.

Considering the climate and physical life-style of the countries involved in designing meat pie and tourtiere, which is pretty cold and lots of physical labourers, meat pies are perfect food. They provide the fuel needed to work and stay warm.  They are fabulous winter-time food!

Salads are better for very warm climates and sedentary life-styles

Yeah, I don't worry about these being unhealthy.  We mostly eat them in fall and winter, and TBH I don't restrict fat in real food anyway.

ETA: And really, part of the appeal of many of these is they use a relatively small amount of meat mixed with veg.

Edited by Bluegoat

Handpies have become popular here thanks to a new bakery that opened and then the other local bakery also following the lead. But those are still handpies and majority of the time they're with veg fillings.

I want a good, ol' self-standing meat pie with layers of tasty meats and jelly that's been poured in the top too!!

Chicken pot pie or Shepards pie (no crust involved in that) are not the right thing, though both are tasty dishes.

All my talk led to no action this weekend -- but maybe I'll change my mind by tomorrow.

Maybe I should watch The Duchess of Duke Street again - I believe there were a few examples in that show too.

I was inspired by this thread to make my own meat pies. I needed to see which was better, tourtiere or British beef and onion pie. The winner was the British pie, though the tourtiere was very good, especially when I added some of the Ikea meatball sauce.  :D   I was all prepared to make my own puff pastry, but I happened to find some in my freezer. Bonus!