Menu

how do you decide....

which of about 5 different math programs to go with?  I think all 5 would probably work with my kids, and all would probably would be just fine.  I have looked at the websites, watched the various videos (multiple times), made a spread sheet comparing them and I am about to the point where I am going to draw a name out of a hat and not look back.  

But that scares me too.

There must be some sort of way for me to decide which way to go.

Please help me decide.

If you are curious or if it will help...here are my choices...

Teaching Textbooks

Thinkwell

Videotext

Tablet Class

Mr. D

help me before I go totally crazy!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

that's the problem, I don't know if it's all the same to me or not.  I, mean, I think they are all good programs and for some family's one might be better than another...I just can't seem to get a feel for if one is better than another.

Sure, I could ask the kids, but we can't really afford to buy 3 different programs (if they each liked a different one)...for some it wouldn't matter too much because it is all online, but others it does matter because there are books and DVD's involved.  But most of them offer some sort of sibling discount...and I really sort of need to take advantage of that.

This is just so overwhelming to me.

We used Teaching Textbooks for geometry and Thinkwell for Algebra 2, and were happy with both of them.  Dd liked them both, but I think she liked Thinkwell better. I've read great things about Mr. D., too.  Sorry I can't be of more help!

When I researched Thinkwell for my dd in the past, I found a lot of comments that said that the videos for Thinkwell are really engaging, but that the problems aren't the greatest.

I've used Tablet Class and it was okay, but the prealgebra level actually has a lot of algebra in it, so it felt more advanced at that level. It's been awhile, but I think the first half of their algebra is just a repeat of the 2nd half of the prealgebra. My ds went through it for summer review and I remember thinking at the time that I was glad this wasn't the only algebra program I was doing with him because I didn't think there were enough problems or review for him.

Of course, for some kids either of these programs are fine and great. It depends upon your learners.

I've never used Videotext, but it's always interested me. The only comment I remember hearing people who it didn't work for say was that there wasn't enough review. That can be added in, though, if needed. Oh, and I've also heard people complain that the final module has not and may never be completed.

Teaching Textbooks is an appealing choice. I have used their geometry and one or two of their earlier levels. I think this would be a good choice if you can monitor your kids' use of it and make sure they aren't doing too much guessing because that is where people seem to run into trouble.

I know nothing about Mr D.

Good luck making a decision! All the choices can really make your head spin.

I had the dilemma, but only with one kid, so in that respect it was easier. But my choices were VideoText, MUS, and Derek Owens. This is for our shift from CLE and also a repeat of Algebra I. I was leaning towards VT, but after watching multiple samples over a few days, she was hands down about wanting MUS. She's very happy with the program. We actually had to go back a further step for remediation, but I am seeing things click as never before. I think because it fits HER learning style. 

I would let the kids view it and make them democratically make a decision amongst themselves, with you getting final stamp of approval, if at all possible. Let them have some skin in the game on the decision. 

do you think watching one video is enough for the kids to decide if they might like or not like a certain program?

I guess if the teacher's voice is hard to listen to...or if they speak too quickly that is picked up right away...but what about over all teaching style...that can't really be determined in one video, can it?

And, that is assuming that the same person does all of the lessons...I noticed in  video text that there were 3 different algebra lessons with 3 different teachers...is that normal? or do most of the programs have one teacher that does the whole year...if not the whole program?

I was sort of thinking about having the kids vote by secret ballot on the programs....if I decide to do that.  And maybe it would be better for me to narrow the field down to 3 programs instead of 5. 

But also not all of the programs show how the practice work is done.  TT does...but I dont' recall any of the other ones doing that in the demo...just the videos.  Are they all basically done the same?   That piece of information might be helpful too.

Or, maybe I am just missing something...which is possible...each website is different and all aren't that easy to navigate through.

thanks again for your thoughts.

do you think watching one video is enough for the kids to decide if they might like or not like a certain program?

I guess if the teacher's voice is hard to listen to...or if they speak too quickly that is picked up right away...but what about over all teaching style...that can't really be determined in one video, can it?

And, that is assuming that the same person does all of the lessons...I noticed in  video text that there were 3 different algebra lessons with 3 different teachers...is that normal? or do most of the programs have one teacher that does the whole year...if not the whole program?

I was sort of thinking about having the kids vote by secret ballot on the programs....if I decide to do that.  And maybe it would be better for me to narrow the field down to 3 programs instead of 5. 

But also not all of the programs show how the practice work is done.  TT does...but I dont' recall any of the other ones doing that in the demo...just the videos.  Are they all basically done the same?   That piece of information might be helpful too.

Or, maybe I am just missing something...which is possible...each website is different and all aren't that easy to navigate through.

thanks again for your thoughts.

We used the program websites as well as Youtube and were able to find multiple demo videos for each program/instructor, even if it might be a different level, or subject. But it was enough to give us an idea of style, detail of explanation, etc. The "oldness" of VT was off-putting to dd, and I will admit it was a bit for me as well. Rose had me sold on it though. But what really got dd with MUS were the manipulatives- they're like a light bulb going off for her, and she enjoyed watching Steve Demme in general. We've had some bombs of video lectures, and at least by now she knows what she likes, and what style bores her. She was adamant and I wasn't going to deny her so we bought MUS and I see no reason at this moment why we won't stick with it for high school for her. I'm not sure if I will use it with my other kids or not, but for her it's a perfect fit at the moment. I wouldn't have guessed that sooner, or clearly I would've bought it! But I didn't even have it on my radar when we started homeschooling. I wish I had involved her sooner. 

I don't think narrowing down to two or three choices is a bad idea at all. Too much choice is overwhelming for use all! Especially when you're trying to make multiple people happy. 

I feel you on the math stuff. It's the hardest subject for me time and time again to make decisions about. 

I'm not sure what you mean by practice work? On the assignments? Some Teacher Manuals walk you through better than others. We used TT and it was nice to get an explanation for each problem instantly on the computer, but I will say we haven't used a program that didn't give us the same walk through in the TM as well, but I'm not familiar with all of the programs you are looking at. 

For Thinkwell, we eventually hit on skipping all the online problems and doing the downloadable worksheets.

I found the worksheets to be sufficient practice at fhe 7th and 8th grade levels. It was no longer automatically graded, but the answer keys were given and the material stuck better that way.

We did AOPS after that so I don't know if the high school levels are similar.

I have been in this position before.   I was going a little crazy, so I asked DH and he said, "Just pick the least expensive one."

If they are honestly all the same to you, and you don't know which one to choose, then just pick the cheapest one and be done with it.

I'd go with: 

Step 1) Find an example of each one and have your kids listen and see if there's anything that they 100% hate. Like, if someone says "that guy's voice is like nails on chalkboard", that's not a good one even if it's otherwise awesome. 

Step 2) Pick the cheapest one that they don't hate. 

I only know the first 4 but none of them are bad. 

• Like 2