Menu

Can I get some reviews on high-school level (rather than college-level) world history spines?

I'm thinking mainly about the Glencoe World History by Spielvogel but also maybe Our Human Story by Pearson and Holdren, or one of the Prentice Hall World History books? (ETA: This is for 9th grade.)

My oldest is a slow-ish reader. We're working on improving reading speed and getting accustomed to taking notes while reading, and she's working hard and making progress. I don't want to throw her into the deep end with college-level texts just yet, so I'm hoping to find something thorough and somewhat rigorous but maybe more readable than a college text would be right now. 

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find samples or see inside any of the high-school texts by the major publishers, so I'm hoping some families here can chime in with their experiences and reviews. If anyone has other possible spines to recommend as well that might fit the bill, I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

I like the history series published by K-12. The High School level one is called World History: Our Human Story. There's also a middle school level called The Human Odyssey that comes in 2 volumes. You can find them used on Amazon for a song.

I like to use a text that doesn't drown a new high schooler in information, particularly for who reads thoroughly but slowly. I prefer that they get engaged with the text and the "story" of history, then we beef it up with discussion and supplemental materials.

• Like 1