Menu

Northwestern CTD online classes

Has anyone used this provider for online high school-level classes (particularly science)?  If so, do you have any feedback?  Specifically, do you think it's worth the price (seems a bit high compared to other providers.)  I definitely prefer to outsource science, but I'm having trouble finding a chemistry class for next year.

• Like 1

If you do not receive any Positive feedback about that school, and, if you are willing to have an Asynchronous course, and not a Synchronous course, possibly include TTUSID in the schools you consider.  DD is taking their Chemistry course now.  We were told (in July) that they are working on a new Chemistry course.  I think it may be a Dual Credit course. If that's the case, I assume it will cost more than their normal courses, however, I am assuming and I try not to assume.  GL with whatever you select.

• Like 1

Has anyone used this provider for online high school-level classes (particularly science)?  If so, do you have any feedback?  Specifically, do you think it's worth the price (seems a bit high compared to other providers.)  I definitely prefer to outsource science, but I'm having trouble finding a chemistry class for next year.

I've heard on other boards the quality is really uneven for the cost. For what second hand info is worth!

• Like 2

We have used them. My kids did the Honors Bio, Chem and Env. Science.

These are self-taught classes that use textbooks that were designed for classroom use, with the assumption that an instructor would be giving daily lectures to explain the lessons and concepts. However, when you are taking these classes online, all the student has is the poorly-designed textbook. The labs are online demos that are time-consuming for the student to figure out how to work before actually launching the lab. Learning online, and self-teaching, is very, very different and much harder than being in a classroom every day where the instructor helps you understand the material. The courses are not designed to accommodate that difference.

My kids got through it, and they learned science. But it was grueling. I wish that I had a science degree so I could do these classes at home. Next year my DD will do Env. Sci on her own, and we are both looking forward to science being fun again.

On the plus side, you get grades from a nationally-known provider of courses for gifted and talented students, if that is important to you.

Maria

• Like 3

We used them.  For a course that was almost double what we would have paid at the CC, we had to buy a book, we received a syllabus, and a grader.  There was little to no instruction.  Just read from the book.  There were a few labs, lots of virtual labs that we couldn't actually get access to, but no one could be bothered to help us with whatever technical issue we were having.  No lab notebook.  I could have done a better job and I was not all that great in Chemistry.  I did hear that the Language Arts classes taught by MCT were much better.  But I felt ripped off.  We never used them again.  I would go with a more reputable online vendor or do dual enrollment. 

Oh, and having Northwestern on the transcript got us nothing.  The AP and college classes carried much more weight. 

• Like 4

For self study, I've eyed BYU online high honors class- https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cfm?school=hs#course=chemistry|university=false|high-school=on|middle-school=false|continuing-education=false|ig=on|online=on|paper=on

or the MITx course https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/3-091sc-introduction-to-solid-state-chemistry-fall-2010/

Completely bummed about the CTD. The only thing it has useful for us is testing. I think their classes are really aimed at schools.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your help!

I'll toss the postcard and cross one more off the list. Lanny, I'll check out TTUISD, too.

I was sort of astonished when I read the above replies. I believe you will do much better if you go with TTUISD. Not perfect but far better than what I read here. I know TTUISD puts a lot of work into new courses or updated courses. Check your options and if you go with TTUISD I hope you will be happy. I was surprised last July when they told us that a new Chemistry course was being developed but DAD could not wait for that new course. Possibly it is available now or will be available soon?

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After Breakfast I asked DD about her TTUISD courses. I asked her if they just said to read pages 123 to 143, etc. and little else, and then take a test.  I was sure that was not the case, when I asked the question. One example I remember so clearly was the Middle School Art Course, where the Instructor had written a huge amount of material to go along with the (2) textbooks that were required. How anyone can teach Art, via an Asynchronous course, to me, is a mystery. He must not only have known the material so well, but how to explain it to others. Now, DD is taking the High School Art course. Those are simply 2 courses where she has learned so much. Yes, it is harder taking an Asynchronous course. Yes, one is more or less "their own teacher" when taking an Asynchronous course. It is harder.  But, by sending an email to the Instructor, or a message on the "Moodle" (https://moodle.org/) one can get help, if needed. And, when there have been technical glitches, we can send an email or call on the phone and it gets fixed.  The TTUISD High School courses are currently USD $190 per semester, plus any textbooks or materials that are required.  I have no idea what Northwestern CTD charges but I suspect it is much more expensive from the comments in this thread.  I hope the OP will find course(s) she and her DC are very happy with.

• Like 1