Menu

CLE to AOPS

I'm going to have a lot of questions about math. I'm thinking a little ahead but DS is in 4th grade and finishing up CLE 500 this year. My plan was to do 600 next year and then condense 700/800 in his 6th grade year. I'm thinking a lot about online options for actual algebra though, as I am not mathy.

I was looking at TWTM Academy and I see they offer pre algebra from AOPS. I haven't looked really hard at AOPS yet and I understand it's a lot more rigorous but DS is good at math and I'd like to challenge him. 

So what I'm wondering is if we should go from CLE 600 to AOPS pre algebra or CLE 600 to CLE 700/800 and THEN AOPS algebra.

And this is just what I'm thinking at the moment, not knowing a lot about AOPS. I will still consider other algebra programs too.

You can't find a bigger fan of AoPS pre-A than me and DD. If you want to start the series of books, you should begin with Pre-A since you are at the beginning and not somewhere in the middle of high school math. It's not only a good way to transition from another program to AoPS Algebra but it covers more than a typical Pre-A program.

Maybe run Beast alongside CLE for now and consider doing your condensed CLE 700/800 slowly on the side as you try out AoPS prealgebra. If it is too much of a difference in approach as a primary then try it as a supplement to CLE. If it is a great fit then you could probably drop CLE at that point. You have time to tweak it out since he'd is only in 4th and already ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

I think CLE is so different to AOPS that is it hard to make a fluid transition. I think your idea of supplementing with BA is a good option. A lot of people like to use a basic algebra program before doing AOPS algebra. I think if you could do CLE 700/800 then and BA 4/5 then move into AOPS Pre-A it will set your child up for more of a chance of success.

AOPS has been amazing for my oldest DS. I so wish we'd found it earlier for him and he could have used it all the way through! 2nd DS just looks at it and shudders. :lol:  That's pretty much my reaction too, I would have hated the discovery method if I'd been taught using it. AOPS can be absolutely perfect for (IMO) a very small subset of highly gifted math students, but would be frustrating for most others. (But maybe I only think that because we found it late, after Alg & Geo, and I would have a different opinion if we'd started with BA and used it all the way through ... )

Anyway, I'd advise using it as a supplement and seeing if the discovery method "clicks" with your student before deciding to plunge into the program as your main curriculum.