Menu

Which Physics?

Planning to have dd16 take Physics next year.  She is good at math, and will probably finish Calc over the summer.  Last time we did Physics (in 8th), though, she didn't like the applied problems (although she did Singapore in elementary and then she did AoPS through Algebra, so I have no idea why that was a problem for her??)

I've been planning to have her do DO Physics.  She likes DO's classes because she can get away with doing very little work and he doesn't seem to care if she doesn't write out all the steps.  :glare:   

The other thing is that if she finishes up Calc over the summer, she won't be taking any math next year (she'll take Stats in 12th).  I was thinking Physics would keep her math fresh.  Now I'm wondering a bit if I should have her take a Calc-based Physics to reinforce the Calc?  But where?  She doesn't 'need' an AP class, but are there any Calc-based classes out there that aren't AP?  I don't want to bog her down in a subject that I know won't be her favorite, but from what I've heard, Calc-based Physics isn't necessarily harder if you can do the math?  Is there a good Calc-based Physics MOOC?

Self-paced is good; that helps her balance her workload around her CC classes.  I'm also a bit worried about getting the labs done at home - how do different programs handle that?

Since you mention MOOCs: does that mean you just need instruction and assignments? (Or do you need the course to administer tests and grade HW?)

If it is the former, I can recommend this website for a calculus based engineering physics course at Missouri S&T:

http://web.mst.edu/~vojtaa/engphys1/original.index.html

It has complete video lectures for the entire semester and assignments posted.

I can look for the link to the 2nd semester course that has a similar setup if you are interested.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Since you mention MOOCs: does that mean you just need instruction and assignments? (Or do you need the course to administer tests and grade HW?)

If it is the former, I can recommend this website for a calculus based engineering physics course at Missouri S&T:

http://web.mst.edu/~vojtaa/engphys1/original.index.html

It has complete video lectures for the entire semester and assignments posted.

I can look for the link to the 2nd semester course that has a similar setup if you are interested.

Unfortunately, I'd need grading.  Don't some MOOCs offer that?  I think the Calc MOOC I think she'll take this summer has graded quizzes and tests...

What's your opinion about what level of math she should take with this?  She'll probably never take another Physics course again; she's not going to want to do a ton of work, honestly.  I was just thinking it might keep her Calc skills fresher if she used them - am I remembering correctly that in some cases using Calc can actually make the calculations easier (less steps)? 

If the Calc-based classes get a lot more intense in other ways, though, maybe we should stick with DO?  The way she does DO, she skips all the practice problems, just looks at the graded homework problems.  Then she only looks at videos she thinks she'll need for those.  Then she takes the tests.  She's still managing an A- (in PreCalc).  It drives me a bit nuts.  I'm going to have her take the CLEP just to make sure she's retained the info...

ETA: So, basically I'm not looking for 'harder Physics', just 'applied math practice' to reinforce/retain her Calc - I guess the big question is if that's a good idea, or a crazy one, :lol: ...

Edited by Matryoshka

Unfortunately, I'd need grading.  Don't some MOOCs offer that?  I think the Calc MOOC I think she'll take this summer has graded quizzes and tests...

I'd be surprised if there were actual grading - M stands for "massive", and for a free course no school can swing the manpower to actually grade anything. If this is just "input final number in computer and it gets graded automatically", that's pretty worthless to assess actual mastery.

What's your opinion about what level of math she should take with this?  She'll probably never take another Physics course again; she's not going to want to do a ton of work, honestly.  I was just thinking it might keep her Calc skills fresher if she used them - am I remembering correctly that in some cases using Calc can actually make the calculations easier (less steps)? 

If the Calc-based classes get a lot more intense in other ways, though, maybe we should stick with DO?  The way she does DO, she skips all the practice problems, just looks at the graded homework problems.  Then she only looks at videos she thinks she'll need for those.  Then she takes the tests.  She's still managing an A- (in PreCalc).  It drives me a bit nuts.  I'm going to have her take the CLEP just to make sure she's retained the info...

If she is not interested in physics and won't need it, I would not do a calculus based class. There are easier ways to keep calculus skills fresh. My algebra based college physics class requires about half as much work as the calculus based class (3 vs 4 class hours, plus less and easier homework)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Would you mind posting the link for the second semester?  This would work great for one of mine.

http://physics.mst.edu/currentcourses/undergrad/

Their course number is 2135.

I believe they had some changes, and another person took over the course temporarily, so the videos for the last weeks of the semester may not be up.  

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I'd be surprised if there were actual grading - M stands for "massive", and for a free course no school can swing the manpower to actually grade anything. If this is just "input final number in computer and it gets graded automatically", that's pretty worthless to assess actual mastery.

The quizzes are self-grading, and there claims to be a weekly graded test... but it could well be multiple choice.  I plan to also have her try for the Calc CLEP (also multiple choice)... She thinks she wants to be a Business major, and this will probably be the last math class she has to take.  If she shifts gears and wants to do more math someday, i figure she should take Calc I again, but at least she'd have had an introduction.

If she is not interested in physics and won't need it, I would not do a calculus based class. There are easier ways to keep calculus skills fresh. My algebra based college physics class requires about half as much work as the calculus based class (3 vs 4 class hours, plus less and easier homework)

Well, this pretty much answers my question. :)  We'll stick with DO.  

What are some easier ways to keep calculus skills fresh?   :bigear:  

Even if she never has to take math again, I have a feeling it would be good for her to get more practice... as I said, she's actually good at math.  Kind of drives me nuts that she's so blasé about it...  personally I don't think it'll stick the way she's doing it, but there really isn't any way to get this kid to do work she doesn't want to, so box-checking it is...  :glare:  le sigh...

If the Calc-based classes get a lot more intense in other ways, though, maybe we should stick with DO?  The way she does DO, she skips all the practice problems, just looks at the graded homework problems.  Then she only looks at videos she thinks she'll need for those.  Then she takes the tests.  She's still managing an A- (in PreCalc). 

I don't know how DO's math classes go, but there were several times that dd (in his physics) had to remember some little fact from a video that she didn't pay attention very closely to because it just seemed like background & not something she'd be tested on. About the second time that happened, she started taking closer notes from ALL the videos.

Edited by RootAnn