Menu

How does this look for workload for 10th?

My son is a somewhat slow worker and he's NOT a "work into the night to get the job done" kid, either. He likes his down time. He's getting better, but reading is a bit slow, and Spanish and vocab learning is slow (faster with Math). I don't want to overload him in 10th but i DO want to ramp up a bit each year in terms of expectations.

That said, what do you all BTDT people think of this courseload? Monday and Wednesday will have 4 1/2 hours of online classes, which is a LOT i think. I could eliminate Logic 2 but then think "is that enough?"  DS14 does much better with structured online classes, and we have decided i will NOT be his teacher for any subjects but just oversee the online stuff. 

So too much? Just right? 

Physics: Clover Creek Physics with Jetta Seboly

Calc AP: Wilson Hill w Anne Steublen:

The Great Conversaton 1+4: Wilson Hill 9:30 to 11 Tu-Thur

Spanish 2 at Wilson Hill: 2:00 to 3:30 pm Mon to Wed

Logic 2 at Wilson Hill:  Mon-Wed 12:30 to 2 OR Philosophy of Science at WTM Academy

Witty Wordsmith by Lukeion 2:15 thursday

ETA:

Alternatively, he could do:

Physics + Lab (1.5 credits)

AP Calc (1 c)

The Great Conversation (2.5 credits: 1 history, 1 english, .5 bible)

Spanish 2 (1)

Am History--easy, spine like time4learning or something at onlineg3 (1)

and MAYBE witty wordsmith. (.5)

So drop the Logic, and throw in an easy history class, which he needs to graduate.

He will also be going to art class once a week at a local studio. dh is an artist, so he can always work with him and i can call it a credit, too.

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 2

I think it's a solid workload.  By the end of ds's high school career, I was of the mind of doing fewer classes with greater depth and challenge.  With a slower worker, this also means less transition time between subjects.

Taking challenging course like ones for AP and adding to the load was the best way to amp up my slow reader and worker. We turned up the heat a bit each year.  I didn't choose classes that protected his grade point. For this particular child, he's found that his high school load and pacing by the end is similar to what he is encountering in college.  He still struggles with reading slower and has a few workarounds, but the one area that couldn't be compromised was being able to churn out papers quickly across subjects and simultaneously.

Good luck! I think you are on the right path.

• Like 2

Thanks. Yes, that's exactly what DH and I were discussing--easier and more classes, or fewer and harder. We want fewer and harder, and don't plan on 'protecting' his gpa at all--he's a solid B student now except in Math. Do you think the Logic is too much to add for 10th grade, just in terms of work load?

I know Jetta's class is a lot of work, and AP Calc will be too. He reads slowly, as I mentioned, and GC will be a lot of heavy reading requirements. He's also slow with Spanish, but getting better (no, you just can't stare at the words and hope they magically get absorbed into your brain...)

I worry about overloading, and WH has a very strict withdrawal policy.

Edited by Halcyon

Will it work for your area?

In our area (Ontario, Canada) that wouldn't work because a student needs 30 credits to graduate. So in my case I would throw in two easy credits.

If he isn't naturally physically active I would add a PE credit that would just require him to do some physical activites.

Okay this is what i found for Florida public schools--i dont know if as homeschoolers we need to abide by this but it's a good guide. We're fine with Language Arts and Math and Science. But I wonder if he shouldn't take American History this year with WTM Academy...

LANGUAGE ARTS                               4

MATHEMATICS                                  3/4 class of 2011

SCIENCE                                          3

WORLD HISTORY                              1

AMERICAN HISTORY                         1

ECONOMICS                                   .5

AMERICAN GOV’T                           .5  

PRACTICAL AND FINE ARTS             1

LIFE MGMT. SKILLS                        .5

PERSONAL FITNESS                       .5

PHYSICAL EDUCATION                   .5

ELECTIVES                                    8.5

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 1

He does Tae Kwon Do so that's a credit for PE. TBH I have no idea what requirements are in Florida LOL. I probably should check that.

So if you need/want an extra credit do PE.

Make sure he gets at least about 100 hours of Tae Kwan Do. Have him watch a competition or something about the sport. Then get him to read a book such as, "Calm energy" or any health or physical subject you think is important for him. If you want some written output have him write and give the dojo (its a dojo isn't it?) a well written letter about how good of a dojo it is, Or how great his teacher is, and how tae kwon do has been useful in his life.

I'd think also about how much time he needs or wants to commit to outside activities (academic or not, whichever) & opportunities that come up mid year.

My ds has a very time demanding robotics group during the school year, so i tried to have him pick classes with that in mind.

Something else always comes up throughout the year too...

This year it was a 2 morning per week engineering internship- couldnt say no to that!

Then him & 2 friends decided to do an ambitious science fair project, ok...

Then- that project won a spot to ISEF in LA (so now they need to meet even more often- at least robotics is over for the season)

Thankfully, his math is Derek Owens so he can set his own timeline there. Some weeks no math happens so that he can meet his Physics (love Jetta's class, btw) & his DE class deadlines between the internship & robotics/ sci fair stuff. Thats been a huge help.

Otherwise, he wouldve had to drop something or not do the internship or sci fair.

And we did "light" Govt & Econ using videos & a few books, again, could work on those whenever.

Next year, we're trying to plan "assuming" that something great will come along :). And if not, we can add some Great Courses that we own that he hasnt gotten to & more lit. Or pick up another DE class second semester.

Oh, does your state require light classes like- health, fine arts, etc? Those are easy to add in.

I missed that he didnt have a history, they usually expect 4 years, so id add that for sure. Maybe instead of logic?

Edited by Hilltopmom

If you are worried about work load and to many outsourced classes perhaps you can pull together an American history class. (If you feel the need to)

If you want an easy credit you can watch a bunch of great courses in the subject and visit tourist attractions.

I know with my kids at that age they will be having to earn a bunch of credits (30 in 4 years). With my boys I know that after a certain amount of knowledge is put into their heads any more I put in just means an equal or greater amount falling out. So I'm all for having some easy courses.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 1

IMO, that is TOO MUCH for Monday & Wednesday for online classes. (DD#1 has that much on Wednesdays this year. Too much sitting!)

I would ask myself why he has each class. If Logic isn't an interest & doesn't get you somewhere in the future (pre-req for another class he really wants/needs to take), I'd drop it in a heartbeat. Why Witty Wordsmith? An interest, something he needs, or wanting to do a Lukeion class?

I might add a one semester, fun, elective in something he's interested in if you feel like he has to have another 1/2 credit in the fall. Wasn't there going to be an art class?

• Like 2

we thought of Witty Wordsmith because he needs work on his vocab.

Logic--just cuz the class looks great. And dh really wants him to take it. I'd drop it, personally.

Maybe i can convince DH to let him take one class at onlineg3, an american history class. those classes are light, imo, and dh doesn't like them for that reason. but drop the logic and take that instead. that way i know we'll get an american history out of the way.

florida requires 1 year wh, 1 year amer history, and half credit each econ and govt. 

• Like 1

we thought of Witty Wordsmith because he needs work on his vocab.

Logic--just cuz the class looks great. And dh really wants him to take it. I'd drop it, personally.

Maybe i can convince DH to let him take one class at onlineg3, an american history class. those classes are light, imo, and dh doesn't like them for that reason. but drop the logic and take that instead. that way i know we'll get an american history out of the way.

florida requires 1 year wh, 1 year amer history, and half credit each econ and govt.

colleges may expect 4 years, fyi.

• Like 1

okay, don't laugh. How about Time4Learning US HIsotry, just for an easier course? I know, i know. But it could serve as a spine, and he could do other readings and such. I think we need ONE class that is more flexible as the others are really demanding.

• Like 2

colleges may expect 4 years, fyi.

thanks. i wll look. i know what florida state colleges require, but he might end up going out of state. thanks. based on my minimal research, i think it's 4 years of social studies that most require.....hmmmm

Edited by Halcyon

IMO, that is TOO MUCH for Monday & Wednesday for online classes. (DD#1 has that much on Wednesdays this year. Too much sitting!)

I would ask myself why he has each class. If Logic isn't an interest & doesn't get you somewhere in the future (pre-req for another class he really wants/needs to take), I'd drop it in a heartbeat. Why Witty Wordsmith? An interest, something he needs, or wanting to do a Lukeion class?

I might add a one semester, fun, elective in something he's interested in if you feel like he has to have another 1/2 credit in the fall. Wasn't there going to be an art class?

yes he will take a teen art class at a local place. i will add that--thanks for the reminder!

It looks like a lot to me...

It looks like it's for a Math/Engineering major.  

But it also looks like it's for a future Literature/History major.

IOW I think that's a LOT of very challenging in depth classes, especially for a methodical/slow worker.  

I am not saying you should change anything, because I also notice no electives.  If he isn't taking any music, health, art, etc. then maybe this can work. What are his college plans? THe fact that there are less classes, and therefore less transitions for his brain and time, makes this more doable, than if he was also taking two electives.  What does he do for PE?

I gave my son, as you can see in my sig, one or two easier classes on top of the hard ones.   :)  I figure that balances things out. He is taking a regular non-Honors Chemistry course, even and the local in person English class is super fun and easy... But I don't have experience with 10th grade yet either so keep that in mind :)

Edited by Calming Tea

okay, don't laugh. How about Time4Learning US HIsotry, just for an easier course? I know, i know. But it could serve as a spine, and he could do other readings and such. I think we need ONE class that is more flexible as the others are really demanding.

I won't laugh.  We did that this year with Silicon valley online history.  It was an easy A, and even fulfilled A-G requirements.  We may do the US History through them as well.  Not everything needs to be so in depth, difficult and hard.  But then again maybe I am just practical that way.  We are shooting for the stars with his SAT scores and adding one AP class every year, and two AP both in 11th and 12th...so the transcript will look great...but I figure my kid needs a break here and there too.

Have you asked your kid?  My kid, when faced with samples from TPS Honors Chem (Novare advanced) and regular Chem (pearson) liked the style of the NOvare text way better (who wouldn't?) but he was 100% positive he wants to put his brain power into his Pre-Calc and Math Center lessons...not Chemistry.  He knew himself, and he knows the consequencs and benefits of the UC's seeing "Honors" i n a title and he chose wisely for himself, I think.

• Like 3

I won't laugh.  We did that this year with Silicon valley online history.  It was an easy A, and even fulfilled A-G requirements.  We may do the US History through them as well.  Not everything needs to be so in depth, difficult and hard.  But then again maybe I am just practical that way.  We are shooting for the stars with his SAT scores and adding one AP class every year, and two AP both in 11th and 12th...so the transcript will look great...but I figure my kid needs a break here and there too.

Have you asked your kid?  My kid, when faced with samples from TPS Honors Chem (Novare advanced) and regular Chem (pearson) liked the style of the NOvare text way better (who wouldn't?) but he was 100% positive he wants to put his brain power into his Pre-Calc and Math Center lessons...not Chemistry.  He knew himself, and he knows the consequencs and benefits of the UC's seeing "Honors" i n a title and he chose wisely for himself, I think.

he doesn't want to do the schedule DH and I suggested--he thinks it's too many online classes, particularly the sit-down time for Mon and Wed. But then again, this is a child who errs towards 'easier' lol, so it's hard to know if we should push a bit. I THINK i can convince DH to let him drop Logic and take an easier Am History course.

What' Silicon Valley Online History? off to google

• Like 1

If he needs vocabulary work have you seen the great courses subject on vocabulary. I have heard good things about it. If I remember correctly it is long.

no i haven't. But we have found that without structure, no matter how good the cd is, he just doesn't keep up. And I can't be the 'structure person' or the 'teacher'--we've been butting heads too much.

• Like 1

Yes see what your dh thinks too. That's a lot of online class time.

SVOHs -

Is literally a collection of you tube videos from teacher created to stuff from history channel to crash course, to videos made by the Muslim channel. A series of quizzes and a big test. It's super easy but actually provides a lot of interesting food for discussion, as you can imagine, from the variety of sources!

I don't know if I recommend it or not. For my ds who is a politics buff and history and literature guy, it was fine :).

• Like 1

My son is a somewhat slow worker and he's NOT a "work into the night to get the job done" kid, either. He likes his down time. He's getting better, but reading is a bit slow, and Spanish and vocab learning is slow (faster with Math). I don't want to overload him in 10th but i DO want to ramp up a bit each year in terms of expectations.

That said, what do you all BTDT people think of this courseload? Monday and Wednesday will have 4 1/2 hours of online classes, which is a LOT i think. I could eliminate Logic 2 but then think "is that enough?"  DS14 does much better with structured online classes, and we have decided i will NOT be his teacher for any subjects but just oversee the online stuff. 

So too much? Just right? 

Physics: Clover Creek Physics with Jetta Seboly

Calc AP: Wilson Hill w Anne Steublen:

The Great Conversaton 1+4: Wilson Hill 9:30 to 11 Tu-Thur

Spanish 2 at Wilson Hill: 2:00 to 3:30 pm Mon to Wed

Logic 2 at Wilson Hill:  Mon-Wed 12:30 to 2 OR Philosophy of Science at WTM Academy

Witty Wordsmith by Lukeion 2:15 thursday

ETA:

Alternatively, he could do:

Physics

AP Calc

The Great Conversation

Spanish 2

Am History--easy, spine like time4learning or something at onlineg3

and MAYBE witty wordsmith.

So drop the Logic, and throw in an easy history class, which he needs to graduate.

He will also be going to art class once a week at a local studio. dh is an artist, so he can always work with him and i can call it a credit, too.

Hi Halcyon,

FWIW, my 10th grader is doing a very similar workload, except she has Geometry instead of Calculus and is just doing Latin 1 instead of Witty Wordsmith, so that does give her an easier week.  She will also have a 4 1/2 hour online day on M & W. 

What I am surprised about is that, in doing GC 1&4, you ARE covering history...ancient history.  Remember that GC 1&4 is 2.5 credits (one for English, one for History, and 1/2 credit for Bible).  I know this because my dd will be taking this class at this same time as your ds!  ;)  She is also signed up for Logic 2 (different time), Spanish 2 (w/ Sr. Gamache), and Physics 1 w/honors (at WHA).

M & W she will have Physics, Latin 1, and Logic 2 (so the easy one is thrown in the middle as she has already studied a lot of Latin with MP and Henle).  I just wanted her to learn the Classical pronunciation and absorb the new Latin vocab. and all the Roman mythology stuff, starting at the beginning with Latin Alive Book 1.

Then on T & Th, she will have GC 1&4, Geometry, and Spanish 2 later in the afternoon.  I know Geometry will be easy for her as she loves this subject but did not get to do enough of it (in my opinion) in Saxon Math.  She is getting all A's in Saxon Adv. Math (we're just over 1/2 way through the book), but WHA advised us to give her the Geometry instead, so I am expecting this to be an easy, fun course for her.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in and say hello as our dc will likely be online classmates next year and have a lot in common!

Brenda

• Like 2

Knowing you have a slow-n-steady worker with some tough classes, I'd keep it to the core 4, plus the art & TKD for the fall. Maybe, MAYBE add the easier Am History class.

You can always add another 1/2 credit elective in the spring.

I'd encourage a half or one-credit class in the summer, if necessary, to appease your DH. Then, shoot for one additional class Junior year.

• Like 1

If you live in Florida, try FLVS.  Free.  Easy.  Flexible.

I have a slow worker as well, and I'd drop logic, add in a history class and call it a very full day.

we do live in florida. but i thought FLVS was teacher guided--that is, he has to talk to a teacher, submit work on time etc. That wouldn't be a fit. i will look, but let me know if you know.

Hi Halcyon,

FWIW, my 10th grader is doing a very similar workload, except she has Geometry instead of Calculus and is just doing Latin 1 instead of Witty Wordsmith, so that does give her an easier week.  She will also have a 4 1/2 hour online day on M & W. 

What I am surprised about is that, in doing GC 1&4, you ARE covering history...ancient history.  Remember that GC 1&4 is 2.5 credits (one for English, one for History, and 1/2 credit for Bible).  I know this because my dd will be taking this class at this same time as your ds!  ;)  She is also signed up for Logic 2 (different time), Spanish 2 (w/ Sr. Gamache), and Physics 1 w/honors (at WHA).

M & W she will have Physics, Latin 1, and Logic 2 (so the easy one is thrown in the middle as she has already studied a lot of Latin with MP and Henle).  I just wanted her to learn the Classical pronunciation and absorb the new Latin vocab. and all the Roman mythology stuff, starting at the beginning with Latin Alive Book 1.

Then on T & Th, she will have GC 1&4, Geometry, and Spanish 2 later in the afternoon.  I know Geometry will be easy for her as she loves this subject but did not get to do enough of it (in my opinion) in Saxon Math.  She is getting all A's in Saxon Adv. Math (we're just over 1/2 way through the book), but WHA advised us to give her the Geometry instead, so I am expecting this to be an easy, fun course for her.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in and say hello as our dc will likely be online classmates next year and have a lot in common!

Brenda

Brenda-yep, sounds similar!

I didn't realize GC1+4 was 2.5 credits! So how many total credits will your daugher be taking? If I'm counting right, and we drop logic but add an easy Am Hist, we're up to 7! that seems like a lot.  What's the time commitment of GC1+4 weekly, do you know?

Is Physics +Lab considered 1.5 credits, or just 1? That is to say, is the lab worth another .5 credits?

That would mean:

AP Calc - 1 credit

GC 1+4: 2.5 Credits

Spanish 2: 1 credit

Witty Wordsmith- .5 credit? not sure

Am History: 1 credit

PE (tae kwon do) - 1 credit

Art - 1 credit

Total: 9 credits! hmmmmm Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Halcyon

Haven't BTDT, but next year my tenth grader also will have seven academic credits including one AP scheduled, not including PE or the fine arts credit we are spreading out over a couple of years.

We are doing two of the courses at home, though, and one of the online ones will be asynchronous. Another one or two (not finalized yet) only meet once per week, which makes it more doable.

And still I hope it is not too much. I know that if he were in any of the schools we considered putting him in, the challenge would be similar if not greater.

And I don't think seven credits in themselves is too much, it is that -some- online courses seem to take more total time than a similar course would in school. And sometimes it's hard to know ahead of time how it will go until you get into the year.

ETA that no, I don't think science labs in high school count as additional half credits. I think the exception would be if a student does an independent project like a very involved science fair project that is divorced from the standard subjects.

Edited by Penelope

Okay, so I would not advise you to do two history credits, but you will have to decide that.  We are doing two languages (Latin 1 and Spanish 2), but I know my dd can handle it because one of the languages should be quite easy for her (Latin) and the other one she loves. 

I believe that WHA Physics I is only one credit, but you would have to check with Clover Creek about their physics course.

And it is a definite yes that GC 1 & 4 is 2.5 credits (1 credit for English, 1 credit for HISTORY, and .5 credits for Bible).

My dd will be taking 7.5 credits.  We are counting Logic 2 as an elective course.  She plays the fife in parades and has 2 1/2 hr. lessons once a week on the fife year-round, but not sure if or how I should count that on her transcript.

If you wanted to cut back on those 9 credits, only do one history and one English.  If you really want the Witty Wordsmith, then cut back on either Art since I know you will do TKD regardless (or don't count it as PE this year and then you don't have to worry about 'beefing' it up at all).

This isn't really related so much to the OP, but I don't think physical activity has to have reading or written output to call it PE. It's great if it does, but unless your state says something specific about that as part of PE requirements, I would not bother unless it is a special interest. In my district, and I know mine is far from the only one, you can get your after school sport to fulfill the PE requirement, and there is no classroom work involved.

FLVS for homeschoolers is very flexible.  We've only taken HOPE through FLVS.  Our daughter logged on independently on her own schedule. She spoke to the teacher, maybe 4 times on a one-on-one phone call. Each call lasted less than 5 minutes.  She was allowed to proceed at her own pace but had to take...I believe it was...4 weeks to complete a semester.  She easily completed all work in this timeframe.  

Why not give it a try. If it doesn't work out, just withdraw. 

• Like 1

Well, both of my dc have confirmed cases of the flu.  This is another part to consider when you have lots of live online classes that keep advancing while your dc is sick in bed.  My dd's temp was 103.8 this a.m., while my ds's temp. was just 101.4, but both dc have it.  Anyway, hope we can manage the schedule next year.

• Like 1