Menu

Lifepac/SOS Science?

Has anyone used Lifepac/SOS/Monarch for high school science?  [They're all the same content just different format: Lifepac workbooks, SOS CDs, Monarch online]   I'd welcome some feedback from anyone who has used it.

This is for older DD, rising 9th grader.  She's not interested in college and will almost certainly pursue a career as a visual artist of some sort.  At this point I'm narrowing our options down to things she can work on independently with me coming alongside her a helper, as needed.

Lifepac is on my short list, mostly because I'm familiar with the younger grades, but I'm open to other suggestions.  It doesn't have to be workbook based.  Just independent and not super difficult.  

I used SOS Earth Science for my son when he was in the 9th grade. He had used Apologia General and Physical plus Power Basics Chemistry for 7th-8th grades. My primary goals were for him to learn to work more independently, study for tests, and follow a schedule. We were doing all of his other subjects together so it was an inexpensive way to push him to work on his own a bit. And he did ok - kept on track with minimal input from me and passed all of his tests. I think his average was an 86.

If your goal is independent and not super difficult, this should work well! Though I would try the Monarch instead if you are at all tech-challenged. I had a very difficult time with making the schedule, understanding how he was supposed to upload some assignments, etc. I have a friend who uses Monarch and she thinks it is easier to manage than SOS. Of course, she may be underestimating my level of tech-challenge-ness!!

Edited by Liza Q
  • Like 1