Menu

CLE Algebra 1 compared to Foerster's, Jacob's, Saxon, etc.

I have used CLE Algebra and Foerster but not Saxon or Jacobs. Overall, CLE and Foerster cover the same ground but here are some of the main differences:

Lesson Planning

CLE has clearly delineated lessons for each day. There's no deciding which problems to do or how much to cover. There are quizzes every five lessons and tests every 15 lessons. I think the lessons are appropriately paced - taking 45 min to 1 hour each day.  Foerster's is divided into sections but some are longer and more difficult than others. There are many exercises presented and the student is not necessarily expected to do all of them - perhaps only odds or evens etc. The additional exercises can be helpful if the student needs additional practice. Foerster's has tests at the end of each chapter.

Application Problems

Foerster's has many more application problems then CLE. CLE does a solid job of covering the major types of algebra word problems but it doesn't have the same magnitude of practice problems available. When I used CLE, I did supplement with some additional word problems if I felt my ds needed more practice.  

Quadratic Formula

Foerster's is a little unorthodox in introducing the quadratic formula early on in the text so that student's can use it to solve more realistic problems. Like most Algebra programs, CLE doesn't introduce the quadratic formula until later (the last light unit). Personally, I prefer a later introduction. I think it makes more sense in terms of conceptual development and also keeps the emphasis on factoring rather than relying on plugging numbers into a formula but I can also see Foerster's point.

Progression of Topics

Foerster's has a more traditional mastery approach. Introducing a topic then continuing to cover that topic in more complexity as a chapter progresses. Then moving on to a new topic in the next chapter (e.g one chapter on Rational Expressions, next chapter on Radical Expressions).  There is some review incorporated in the problems and at the end of chapter tests.  On the other hand, CLE has a more incremental spiral approach. Each daily lesson introduces a new concept -  one small bitesize aspect of a topic then has mixed review of previous topics. It continues to review new topics over many weeks. For example, for radical expressions CLE introduces simple radicals in Light Unit 1 then a few weeks later introduces multiplying radicals (LU2), then in LU3 and 4 simplifying radicals, then dividing radicals in LU9.  Thus radical expression concepts are sprinkled throughout the year.

Personally, I prefer the constant review and more gentle introduction of topics in CLE but some students may be frustrated by the mix of topics and bite size introductions. For a less mathy student, I think CLE is a slower ramp toward the more complex algebraic concepts. The first few LUs are quite easy and then there's a steeper ramp in CLE. A more mathy student, may prefer the more intensive progression in Foerster's.

Non-Algebra Topics

CLE covers a number of probability and statistics topics. Foerster's includes a discussion of probability in Chapter 8 on Linear Functions but I don't think it goes into as many statistical topics as CLE. Here's CLE's scope and sequence.

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing your thoughts--very helpful! 

Application Problems

Foerster's has many more application problems then CLE. CLE does a solid job of covering the major types of algebra word problems but it doesn't have the same magnitude of practice problems available. When I used CLE, I did supplement with some additional word problems if I felt my ds needed more practice.  

What did you use to supplement additional word problems w/CLE? 

I used a few books for word problems including Lial's Algebra but my favorite was How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra by Johnson.  I think she had some good techniques in that book but I can't remember exactly what they were or why I liked it better. It's been a few years since I did Algebra I.

I think using a tabular format is good for solving many of the common types of algebra word problems. I believe Lial's has some examples of that and Johnson might too. For example, write the ID, Distance, Time, Rate etc. in the Column Headings and then put two rows beneath them (one for each person travelling in a particular direction for ex). Then have student fill in each cell in the table and calculate. The tabular format does a good job of systematizing the problems and making the student focus on extracting the relevant information first, putting it in the table, then the actual calculation or equation setup is usually pretty self evident and straight forward. CLE doesn't teach the tabular format. It was something I added on.

Edited by 3andme

Thanks so much for your input, 3andme!  I'm guessing there just aren't a lot of people who have used CLE and other Algebra I courses.  For Foerster's, I like the idea of having help (if needed) through David Chandler's Home Study Companion.  Is something like that needed with CLE Algebra?

I don't think you really need additional video instructions for CLE because the concepts are presented in such bite-size increments and written clearly. If there's a particular topic that's not well understood though, I usually go through a few other textbooks to find alternate presentations or I just google videos or worksheets on that topic and usually something beneficial turns up. However, I like math and am pretty comfortable with it. If you don't feel that way, it may be helpful to have the videos as additional support. Definitely, have your child watch the videos and see what they think. My sons seem to have an immediate like or dislike to different instructors.

If your dc is already using CLE and likes it, I would just continue with it. If they've done any of the 800 series, there is some definite overlap and the first few units should be easy.  On the other hand, if they're tired of the CLE format, a change might be good. Personally, I just find CLE more manageable and easier to complete for parent and student than the Foerster text. Foerster does have more challneging problems but CLE definitely covers the standard Algebra I groundwork for moving on to another Algebra II program if that's a concern.

• Like 1