Menu

Need a power converter for New Calendonia

cjzimmer1

DS is traveling to New Calendonia for a short term mission trip this summer.  I'm starting to figure out what things he we need for the trip.  He will have a cell phone and electric razor with him.  What type of converter will he need for those two items?  

Links would be appreciated because frankly I get confused what all the different measurements mean.

• Like 1

You can buy almost anything you can imagine buying from reputable Sellers on eBay.

First, you need to find out what kind of voltage and electrical outlets they have there. 

The phone is  extremely easy. All he needs is a different charger, with the correct voltage and pins/prongs to plug it into the electrical outlet on the wall.

NOTE: I am assuming that the phone uses the GSM technology and that the GSM bands they use there are bands that his phone has available.  If it is a CDMA phone, the possibility of it working outside the USA/Canada is *extremely* low. Close to zero.  He will need to buy a SIM card for a local provider there, after he arrives. 

The electric razor is harder and that will require a voltage adapter. Probably the voltage will be (much) different. NOTE:   However, you should look at the Specs for the Razor. Some things will operate with a WIDE range of AC Voltage. For example: 100 to 240 volts.  If that's the case, all he would need is an adapter plug, so he can plug his razor into one end of the adapter and then plug the adapter into the electrical outlet on the wall. 

If he is VERY VERY  lucky, it will be like it is here in Colombia and anything that works in the USA will work here. Same voltage, same electrical outlets.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

You can buy almost anything you can imagine buying from reputable Sellers on eBay.

First, you need to find out what kind of voltage and electrical outlets they have there. 

The phone is  extremely easy. All he needs is a different charger, with the correct voltage and pins/prongs to plug it into the electrical outlet on the wall.

NOTE: I am assuming that the phone uses the GSM technology and that the GSM bands they use there are bands that his phone has available.  If it is a CDMA phone, the possibility of it working outside the USA/Canada is *extremely* low. Close to zero.  He will need to buy a SIM card for a local provider there, after he arrives. 

The electric razor is harder and that will require a voltage adapter. Probably the voltage will be (much) different. NOTE:   However, you should look at the Specs for the Razor. Some things will operate with a WIDE range of AC Voltage. For example: 100 to 240 volts.  If that's the case, all he would need is an adapter plug, so he can plug his razor into one end of the adapter and then plug the adapter into the electrical outlet on the wall. 

If he is VERY VERY  lucky, it will be like it is here in Colombia and anything that works in the USA will work here. Same voltage, same electrical outlets.  

For the phone, we are not planning on him on using it for calls or texts, just so he can take pictures and if he happens to be somewhere with free wi-fi.  Does the type of phone still matter?  (I told you I'm pretty clueless and I'm the one who picked out the phone, it's a Sprint phone but runs on one of the prepaid providers if that helps at all)

• Like 1

You can purchase adapters that work in many different countries. I have a Nexxtech travel adapter with connections for Europe, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.

I had to look up New Caledonia. It looks amazing!! Hope he has a wonderful time.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

WhatsApp WhatsApp WhatsApp   if it is a Smart Phone, you can talk with him and exchange photos/videos and messages,  free, on WhatsApp, if he has access to WiFi.  WhatsApp is *incredibly* popular (one Billion users) and is now owned by Facebook.  My cousin used it recently when they went to India and Nepal, to communicate with their family in the states..  

I think Sprint is a CDMA network?  If it is CDMA, he will not be able to get service from a GSM provider with it. 

With WhatsApp, if he has WiFi, you can talk, exchange photos, exchange messages, whatever and it is FREE...

If the below is correct, he has a CDMA phone. Those are great if the coverage from the cell tower is very weak.

"In the U.S., Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium.Feb 6, 2015"

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1