Menu

Singapore Math-What do I need for 1st Grade?

JulieA97

We are currently afterschooling ds and have loved using Singapore.  I am ready to buy the next set but not sure what I need.  I see textbook, workbook, teacher guides, home instructor guide and tests.  Not sure what I need to purchase.  Help!

DS loves math as do I.  I do not need step by step instruction for teaching him the concepts so would probably not use the teacher guides unless its not possible to figure out what they are asking for without it.

Thanks!

I use textbook, workbook, extra practice, challenging word problems, and intensive practice. I didn't get the instructor's guide because everything was pretty much self explanatory. You don't have to use them all, but sometime I felt my DC need more drills than workbook provides. 

Personally, if I were afterschooling and confident teaching, I'd just use the (colorful, fun) Textbook and the Intensive Practice book (which provides more challenging puzzles and problems that are fun to work out side-by-side and snuggling).

For Singapore 1 I (homeschooling) personally used the Home Instructor's Guide, textbook, workbook, and intensive practice...I've also used Challenging Word Problems at different levels in the past, Tests, and Extra Practice, all of which are fine supplements for kids who need more practice and adults who want them to do it in workbook form. But isn't it more fun to get this extra practice playing games together in first grade? The HIG or teacher's guide is good at suggesting games that require little more than a deck of cards, but there are many other (free online) sources of math games. (Chime in, sources who hang out here!) At this level of SM, I really lean toward doing a minimum in workbook form (especially for a child who has been in school all day, not entirely clear if that's still going to be your situation).

Since you are afterschooling, I would do Fan Math Process Skills books instead of Challenging Word Problems as there is more instruction in there. 

Depends on the kid, average math student tb/wb or a strong student tb and IP books and HIG so that you can do the conceptual teaching activities.

Edited by calbear

I started out with the home instructor guide, textbook, workbook, intensive practice, and challenging word problems. I dropped the instructor guide within a month. After a while I mostly dropped the workbook, too, though I have it and will sometimes use it for my second dd on topics that she needs more repetition on, like the multiplication facts. Dd1 and ds1 do not use the workbooks at all.

So I would say textbook, intensive practice, and challenging word problems, and add in the workbook if your kid needs extra time to grasp the basic concepts.

We just use the textbook and workbook. There's a thick workbook that's like Singapore on Amazon (just search Singapore Math and it should come up, it's a blue book) that I'll supplement with sometimes. I have the HIG but it's confusing and hard for me to implement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think that the HIG is actually the most critical part of Singapore, unless you already understand the teaching method. The first grade guide maybe less so, but I started with 3rd grade and thought the HIG made all the difference instruction. If you don't teach the method you're just paying for expensive workbooks.