Menu

Trekking poles-----pros and cons

Ottakee

In our planning for our 10 day, 14 state trip I got to thinking about the hiking/walks I want to do with the family.  Dh has had some back/leg issues in the past that have at times limited how much walking he can do pain free.  I was just wondering if trekking poles would be helpful for him or not.  I am thinking of easy trails of 1-2 miles most of the time.  We are not worried about walking fast, etc. we just want to see the various highlights at National and state parks.

I have never used them but see people of all ages using them while I am out walking.

If I do get some, are the $200 ones that much better than the $40 ones for light, general use?  Dh is 280# but we would be on mostly trails rated "easy" so not a lot of elevation changes.

My DS11 use the cheapest ones but he is only 58" tall and weighs around 60lbs. I am 5'3" and around 100lbs and my DS11's pole aren't that useful for me. For me the hiking shoes make lots more difference to my back and leg aches.

Do you have an REI or other outdoor sporting good store nearby where your husband can test out different poles?

My sil has rheumatic arthritis. She swears by her trek poles. I'd go to an outdoor store and see if you can try a couple of different styles in various price ranges. I think it's better to buy in pairs. I got just one, thinking I'd test it out, and wish I'd gotten a pair. Most of them are at least somewhat adjustable for height. Hey, if they save me even one ankle roll, it's worth it. Nobody is going to want to carry me out anywhere.

• Like 1

Double check the poles to make sure that when they are set to a comfortable height for your DH that they aren't wobbly.  Some of the cheaper models are less stable when extended, which defeats the purpose of trekking poles.

You probably don't need the $200 poles unless you are doing some hard-core stuff, but you want something that won't bend when he uses them.

• Like 1

I got them for my dh a few birthdays ago. He wasn't super appreciative in the moment, but he changed his mind after an early spring hike. He loves them and is on his second pair.

Get the best you can afford, it was worth it to prevent some serious falls.

DH and I got the Costco ones a year ago Christmas, and they really do help. I was getting sharp pains under my kneecaps when hiking down a steep trail, and the poles really reduced the pain a LOT. Key is to adjust the poles to fit your height properly, and to learn how to not get tangled or "plant" a pole and jerk your shoulder.

We've been seeing a lot of people use these in our area over the past 5 years, so not likely there will be many comments as trekking poles are becoming so common... but who cares what random weirdos say if you can hike pain free?!

PS

DH (160-lb) and I (125-lb) are both significantly small than your DH, so I don't know if the Costco poles are the best option for your DH, or if something else would be better...

Edited by Lori D.

We each bought poles last time we went hiking and everyone loved them.  We did however buy them at a store and had them fit.  Each of us got something different.  We did only get single poles and that was adequate for us.  I do think it is important to get them fitted.  They need to be the right height.  Also, the grips are different on different poles.  We each varied in what type of grip we liked.