Menu

low sodium hams

SparklyUnicorn

Are there low sodium hams low enough for someone who needs to watch sodium carefully?

If anyone knows....

My dad is coming for Easter and has a lot of dietary restrictions.  I will do ham either way, but if I could find one he could eat that would be great.  If not, I'll just make something else on top of that.

He never tells me (probably because the doctors don't tell him) limits on sodium.  So I don't know per meal or per day.  I find that very stupid.

I remember when my dh was on a limited sodium diet for a short time, the doctor said to keep his sodium intake under 2,000 mg per day. Your dad might be different, but I figured it might give you a general idea.

I think I'm going to get on my dad and tell him he needs to ask for more guidance.  You can't just tell someone "watch sodium".  That's not useful.  Surely they must have some idea of what they mean with low sodium.  Either they told him and he does not remember, or he didn't ask them.  I think he needs to ask him.  I don't want to be an arse and tell him what to do, but how can he manage this stuff without knowing what he's supposed to be doing?  Right?  I mean geesh...

But come to think of it, I think your knowledge of this would probably help.  My dad has kidney failure.  He is going on dialysis.  He isn't at the point of transplant (yet). 

I think I'm going to get on my dad and tell him he needs to ask for more guidance.  You can't just tell someone "watch sodium".  That's not useful.  Surely they must have some idea of what they mean with low sodium.  Either they told him and he does not remember, or he didn't ask them.  I think he needs to ask him.  I don't want to be an arse and tell him what to do, but how can he manage this stuff without knowing what he's supposed to be doing?  Right?  I mean geesh...

But come to think of it, I think your knowledge of this would probably help.  My dad has kidney failure.  He is going on dialysis.  He isn't at the point of transplant (yet). 

Maybe, maybe not. My mom recently needed to be put on blood thinner and Vitamin K interferes with it. They told her to avoid dark leafy greens. That's it. But really, Vitamin K is in a ton of things. She googled on her own and got the ideal dosage, found a chart with amounts, and counts very carefully. The nurses are always amazed by her numbers and tell her she has better control than anyone else. GEE I WONDER WHY. She had to stay an extra few days in the hospital because they couldn't get her numbers stabilized at first. She was on a low sodium diet but was getting collard greens at lunch and dinner. The mind boggles. Anyway, I wouldn't assume it's your dad being reticent to share information. He could have gotten very vague, unhelpful advice. 

• Like 3

They should have told him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to cut back on salt without giving him an exact number. We always asked for specifics because we learned very quickly that if you don't ask for details, you don't get them.

If he's a kidney patient, I'm sure his sodium intake shouldn't be over 2000 mg a day, but it might be even lower, so he should definitely ask his doctor -- or he could just call the office and ask whomever answers the phone to see if they can find out for him.

I'm sorry to hear he's going to need dialysis. :(

• Like 1

Are you set on ham or would you consider a roast or lamb? I feel there would be less issues in terms of sodium. He can control what he eats with side dishes.

I hate lamb.  DH hates beef and lamb.  

I can easily just make something for him though.  No problem.  Just wondered if maybe there was a ham that would work.  Of course since I have no idea what level of sodium, I really don't know.

I'm a little annoyed because I feel like he is magically well behaved when he visits me.  I bother to try, but I'm not so sure he actually does when not here.  I don't mind doing it, but I guess you can imagine why this annoys me.

Also potassium and phosphate.  Which..what the?  I don't know what that entails AT ALL. 

When my mom was on a low sodium diet, we subbed a pork tenderloin (not pre-seasoned) for the ham, using the same homemade glaze we'd normally use for ham (honey brown sugar mustard type thing). She's supposed to still be on that diet, but every time she calls and complains of not feeling well, I ask her when was the last time she had ham. Usually within the past day. There you go.

• Like 1

2 oz of Boarshead is 480mg of sodium.

This Whole Foods recipe has a 7lb ham serving 20 people---which puts you at a much larger serving size, with 590mg of sodium calculated per serving.

Trader Joe's Black Forest Healthy Smoked Ham has 360mg of sodium in a 2 oz slice.

Good luck label reading!

Oh boy.  That sounds challenging.  I might just make him something else.  I don't make ham all that often, but I make roasts and meat A LOT.  So for me a ham is kind of a treat/different meal.  He won't care if I make him something else for him though.  I just wondered if there was something low sodium enough out there.  Although maybe he could have a small amount AND something else with it.  That would probably work too.

He's a big eater.  2 ozs is not much! 

When my mom was on a low sodium diet, we subbed a pork tenderloin (not pre-seasoned) for the ham, using the same homemade glaze we'd normally use for ham (honey brown sugar mustard type thing). She's supposed to still be on that diet, but every time she calls and complains of not feeling well, I ask her when was the last time she had ham. Usually within the past day. There you go.

He'd probably go for that.

There is absolutely no science in what I do. I don't know if it really reduces salt but the ham does not taste salty, and is a lot moister.  Rinse whole ham. Place ham in pot just big enough to hold it.  Pour a large bottle of the largest (2l) and cheapest lemon-line soda  over it.  fill pot with water.  let soak  24 hours, or more if refrigerated.   cook until internal temp is 130f.    Got the idea from those dry Virginia hams that need to have the salt soaked out.

• Like 1