Menu

bare bones birth story and quick update

ktgrok

So, I don't think I ever actually posted Rosemary's birth story in the other threads. Not that there IS much of one, it was so short!

Basically, as you all know, I was either 41w6d or 42weeks, depending on if we went by LMP or by suspected ovulation date. I'm guessing I was right at 42 weeks. Last two kids came at 41w5d. Anyway, that morning my midwife and I had agreed for me to go to triage at the local women's hospital for another biophysical profile, as well as a full non stress test. Also, remember, my blood pressure had been creeping up (does every time). 

I also decided it was time to send the kids to my mom and dad, because maybe that was keeping me from going into labor, worrying about them. So my sister met me before we went to the hospital and took them. Then my husband insisted we get a nice brunch at a great local restaurant before heading to the hospital, just in case we ended up stuck there. Good move!

So, the hospital was um, insistent at first that there was no way they could just do the tests and discharge me at that far past my due date. Of course, I said "well, you can't make me stay" and the midwife there said, "well, no, you'd have to check out AMA. Are you comfortable with that?" I said yes, depending on what the tests showed .

Blood pressure was up, but they did say that given that I was in the hospital, didn't want to be, talking about inducing vs checking out AMA it wasn't bad. However, to be safe they did run urine and full bloodwork. All came back perfect, no signs of pre-e at all (and I had none of the other symptoms either). It's just gestational hypertension which I seem to get each time. But everyone, including me, felt better about seeing the lab work look perfect 

Biophysical was perfect. In fact she was so active the tech said it was the quickest she's ever been able to complete a biophysical :)  Amniotic fluid was great...normal was 8-18 and it was at a 12. 

Nonstress test was perfect. Lots of variability but no dips below what they consider normal. Ranged from 130's to 160's depending on if she was moving around or not.

So at that point, although part of me was just TIRED and wanted to say, let's get an epidural and pitocin and wake me when the baby is born, we checked out AMA with the idea of giving it one more day. If that didn't do the trick I'd come back and be induced. (and they did say they would absolutely induce with pitocin, despite being a VBAC, so that made me feel better that I had that as an option. They would not try to force a section and said I was a great VBAC candidate.

The nurse told me she hoped I had my homebirth, and apologized for having to put the worst case scenario on my AMA paperwork which said I was risking my own and the baby's death by leaving. I'm putting that paper in her baby book, lol. 

Finally we left. It was after 4pm. We drove to my midwife's house and she did another stretch/sweep of the membranes. I was stretchy and soft and she stretched me from 4cm to 5cm. She gave me herbs to take with directions, and then gave directions to do castor oil in the morning if I wasn't in labor yet. 

Ugh, all that sounded like crap. I was grumpy. We left, and I called the chiropractor to say I was running late and wouldn't make my 5:15 appt so could we reschedule. It was 5:05 when I called them. I was felling a bit crampy, but that always happens with a membrane sweep, but it's never done any more than that before. Well, as we kept driving I started realizing it was more than cramps, it was hard contractions. 5 minutes apart. Um....

I texted the midwife and told her, but said that since braxton hicks are worst in the car maybe they would stop when I got home, I'd let her know. 

Then they were 3 minutes apart. In the car. And I started cursing that the whole point of a homebirth was NOT having contractions in the car~!!

We got home right before 6pm. I got in the shower, and told my husband to call the midwife, this was labor. Texted my mom at 6:06 to say "I think I'm in labor, midwife on her way."

My doula showed up at about 6:30. Midwife after that, maybe 6:40? At that point I was out of hot water because hubby used it all to fill the pool, which was still cold. He had water boiling on the stove and somehow set the smoke alarm off at one point, but we didn't have time to finish getting it warm. I was wandering, trying to escape the pain, and ended up on hands and knees wedged in between the couch and the birth pool. She was born there. 

My water broke a minute or so before crowning and there was a TON of meconium, but the midwife cleared her airway as she was being born (wiping, not suctioning which I guess isn't recommended anymore) and she didn't aspirate any. Then once she was out she pooped more, lol. It was a MESS!!!!!  The midwife said she was handing her to me between my legs and I was so out of it I said, "I don't want her!" 

But I did, even though she was covered in meconium, lol. Totally slick with it like a pig in mud. After a few minutes I got up and we went on the bed where I delivered the placenta easily, intact. It was perfect, no calcifications, with HUGE veins and very thick and healthy. 

We are doing great, although we are still watching my blood pressure. Midwife may come check me again this week, and will come again next week for my two week visit. (also came 2 days after birth, and baby went to ped 1 dAY after birth and is going again today.)

Anyway, that's all the details :)

• Like 49

Well when she wanted to come she wanted to come. I'm glad she didn't aspirate any meconium, that's good news!

Edited by Arctic Mama

How nice!

I went into labor on the way home from the doctor (who wanted to induce, but I'd talked him out of it) too. It was also an under three hour birth. And I'd wanted a home birth but had to do hospital bc of GD. So, your birth story is very very familiar .

Anyway, congratulations! I'm so glad it went .

Awesome.

Good on you for leaving AMA. We left the hospital AMA and the reasons for the medical advice were absurd, they admitted it, and then they tried to bully us with it anyway. Sigh. More people should know they can do this when they have their ducks lined up and know what they're doing.

• Like 3

Awesome.

Good on you for leaving AMA. We left the hospital AMA and the reasons for the medical advice were absurd, they admitted it, and then they tried to bully us with it anyway. Sigh. More people should know they can do this when they have their ducks lined up and know what they're doing.

Yes! Although I did feel that the staff was on my side once they saw all the test results and realized we were doing fine. They even agreed with me refusing a fetal weight estimate which I guess the supervising doctor wanted to do. I've pushed out a ten pound baby before and no one thought this one was that big so it was pointless.

• Like 3

Awesome.

I've left AMA, after the baby was born (#2) - they wanted to keep me another day but I badgered the doctor about why, turns out they wanted to monitor my temperature every hour. I said that I can do that at home, bye! Lol. They still stalled for hours on the paperwork - without checking my temperature. I was fine.

Love your story Katie, those quick births can be shocking, I remember being stunned and needing to process. (#3 was under 3hrs, and the last half of that was stuck in peak hour traffic! #4 was a homebirth :lol: )

Congratulations!

• Like 1